The Whipple or Magna charger decision

supraman

I am ready to SC my SS 6.0 any last minute help or pros

and cons for the whipple or magnacharger decision would be greatly appreciated. I am having a hard time trying to figure out which would fit my application best.

Thanks in advance.

What is your application?

Whipple and Magnacharger both have good kits for the SS.

I can certinly give a big thumbs up for the Magnacharger Radix :thumbs: Everyone else here who has one has been pleased. We have a couple of Whippled SS lurking around here too, and they have been happy as well.

Whipple and Radix were at the top of my list. Radix won out due to the intercooler, proper method of increasing fuel delivery, proper method of working with the existing GM computer and the add on warranty you can get for the drivetrain.

The only real downside to the Radix is the annoying whistle the bypass valve makes as it closes.

Although I will have a better idea after this weekend, I think the Magnacharger is much easier to install. Don't know if that makes any difference. Don't know if you plan to do yourself or have someone else do.

Although, I will have a better idea after this weekend, I think the Magnacharger is much easier to install. Don't know if that makes any difference. Don't know if you plan to do yourself or have someone else do.

I second that Ben, install is a breeze.

Long story. First of all, it doesn't leave the manufacturer until about 2 weeks. Then magnuson delayed all shipments to recheck some tolerances. That held it up 3 or 4 more days, then they shipped directly to Tbyrne instead of me, then Tbyrne turned back around to me. But, that's all over with, maybe, because it showed up today. I ordered right at a month ago. It actually would probably have been here Monday had it not gone to Tbyrne.

And I say maybe because the intercooler has some minor damage that occured during shipment and now that may need to be sent back. Still waiting on the call for that.

Seems like an awful lot of hassle for spending $5k on something. Nobody specific to blame, I guess. My wife just shakes her head every time I tell her of the new developments. Can't wait to hear it about this now.

Have you looked at KenneBell for their GM kit. Kennebell.net is their web address.

No intercooler required and takes less HP to run it. Also about $1000 less than Radix.

Check it out and see what you think.

CD

Have you looked at KenneBell for their GM kit. Kennebell.net is their web address.

No intercooler required and takes less HP to run it. Also about $1000 less than Radix.

Check it out and see what you think.

CD

No intercooler would be why I didn't buy.

Greetings all,

I am also considering the Radix. I contacted tbyrne by email to ask about the programmer that comes with the kit. I wanted to know if it is a fully functional Superchips tuner or if it is a fixed program for the Radix kit.

They did not say whether the tuner allowed adjustments... BUT, they did say that if you modified the program (and Magnuson could detect it) it would void the warranty on the s-charger. Has anyone else heard the same thing?

I know some of you guys are running custom programs with your blowers... I'm curious if you have concerns about this?

cheers, :cheers:

darren (deezel)

The superchips programmer is just a loader. It does not allow for any tweaking. I guess I will be finding out soon if it is locking the PCM. If not, I will be able to tweak things a bit with LS1Edit. I plan to save a back up of the SC tune then go back to stock and save a back up of the stock tune. Then load the SC tune back and start tweaking. That way I can recover if something goes wrong. If I mess it up big time, I can always get back to stock with a reload from the dealer and a reload of the SC tune.

As far as tweaking voiding the warranty, what do you expect them to say? They have to use a boiler plate denial of modifications to protect themselves.

The whipple is a better blower, but the radix is the better kit right now. I think If you could put a whipple in place of the blower magnacharger uses, youd have a very nice setup. IM sure it can be done.

Kenne belle has a kit similar to that for the lightnings and cobras to use their blowzilla blower. If you want a really good twin screw kit, that would be the way to go.

Or wait for whipple to come out with their intercooled version of their kit. I think when that finally comes out, its gonna blow the radix away.

No matter what you do. intercooled is the way to go.

Dont forget about the centrifugals either :seeya:

Archived