Breakin belt tensioners

Broke another tensioner today. I was trying to make a yellow light, I did, at the cost of my belt tensioner. The pulley is MIA. My buddy at the parts store is getting tired of warranting them, but he'll do another. Some of us really need a fix for this. I was looking at a way to try and brace it from the back with a piece of 1/4 inch steel or something. Oh well what's another $90, my truck is a money grubbing whore.

Dave

Do like FUelSlut and keep an extra tensioner, belt and wrench behind the back seat. Put the autozone reciept in the box and if this happens again, swap the new in and take the old back for your new replacement, hassle but might keep you from getting stranded.

no, i was told the issue is with blower "bleed-off", this "breakage" only occurs when your in mid to high RPM and straight let-off without proper/smooth RPM transition (high/mid to low) best way to prevent this, make sure you shift if your gonna "blip" the throttle.... the tensioner is not strog enough to withstand the drastic change in RPM, the blower in a sense "locks"....

i posted a pic a LONG time ago of what and where the tensioner breaks... picture... the tensioner arm straight in half...

FYI, murrays no longer carries Daayco products, however, they now carry "gatorback/goodyear" tensioners... and i have yet to have someone cross-reff. the part numbers for me so i can give the gatorback tensioner a shot... from what i have noticed, the goodyear's look a tad bit more robust aswell... :dunno:

all this i noticed a month ago when my 2/4 band was taking a crap (again), i blew out THREE TENSIONERS IN FIFTEEN MINUTES... the in-ability to shift into second gear....i would drive... hit 6 grand without sifting into second.... let off the throttle and wallah!!! just like a fun f'n magic trick "battery not charging" no power steering... tensioner took a frumpy

the end

Edited by FuelSlut (see edit history)

I'm running a 110.5 Gatorback and a 2.9 pulley. I think the belt tensioner on the Radix is the same one for a late 80's early 90's Ford F150 with a 300 six. I was looking at the tensioner, and assuming I could take it apart without losing a finger or an eye I think I could have a steel tensioner made. It's not real high on the priority list right now and I would have to take a $70 tensioner apart to do it. Fortunately for me I have buddies at the parts store and have been able to warranty them out. I also looked at the possibility of adding a brace to the tensioner, but that would be tough also. As for now I try to avoid letting off the throttle at high RPMS and come down easy.

Dave

your 100% correct on the proper application of the tensioner...

my uncle's neighbor owns an older f150... and well... started to overheat and have an issue with power-steering, when i went over to fix it, i took one look at the tensioner and knew right away what part number it was going to be.

i used to have no problem at murrays with warranty, but as i said, they no longer carry daayco