1 bar, 2 bar, 3 bar???

popeye55

This is referring to what pressure level the sensor reads to. A 1 bar map will read to about .7psi of boost, a 2 bar map will read to about 15 psi of boost, and a 3 bar map will read to about 30psi of boost.

1 bar reads 1 atmosphere of pressure, which is to say -14.7psi of vacuum to 0.0psia (static sea level amtospheric pressure).

2 bar reads 2 atmospheres, so -14.7psi to 14.7psi (1 bar of vacuum, 1 bar of boost)

3 bar reads 3 atmospheres, so -14.7psi to 29.4psi (1 bar of vac, 2 bars of boost)

Given the nature of a 1 bar sensor it is most suited to NA applications.

oh damn...i was following unit that last post :confused:  so what is the OS?

Sorry for the geek-speak; OS means "Operating System", or the actual computer program that is running on the PCM (versus the data tables on the PCM, which can be read/altered by a tuner).

Bingo.  2 or 3 bar MAP requires a custom OS.
Well that does sound like the way to go - so assuming one reflashes their PCM to support 2-bar mapping, is there a MAF on the market large enough to support that? Or are we talking SD-only above 1-bar?

Mr. P.

oh damn...i was following unit that last post :confused:   so what is the OS?

Sorry for the geek-speak; OS means "Operating System", or the actual computer program that is running on the PCM (versus the data tables on the PCM, which can be read/altered by a tuner).

Well that does sound like the way to go - so assuming one reflashes their PCM to support 2-bar mapping, is there a MAF on the market large enough to support that? Or are we talking SD-only above 1-bar?

Mr. P.

Running a 2bar in a 1 bar OS may net you slightly lower resolution, but the PCM interpolates the values and you're still able to have fairly accurate fueling. I'm still running a 1 bar OS, and have been doing this for almost a year because I don't think I could upgrade to a 2bar. My data bus is screwed up somehow and my re-flashes crash every couple of times and will only work on the low speed setting... If you fail a full OS reflash early on, the PCM is toast. :nonod:

Running a 2bar in a 1 bar OS may net you slightly lower resolution, but the PCM interpolates the values and you're still able to have fairly accurate fueling.  I'm still running a 1 bar OS, and have been doing this for almost a year because I don't think I could upgrade to a 2bar.  My data bus is screwed up somehow and my re-flashes crash every couple of times and will only work on the low speed setting...  If you fail a full OS reflash early on, the PCM is toast.  :nonod:

Damn man - that's a pisser. GM should've put a UNDO button on the dash...

Mr. P.

SD only -- but to be honest if you need a 2 bar MAP you are maxing the MAF most likely.

Mr. P.

Running a 2bar in a 1 bar OS may net you slightly lower resolution, but the PCM interpolates the values and you're still able to have fairly accurate fueling. I'm still running a 1 bar OS, and have been doing this for almost a year because I don't think I could upgrade to a 2bar. My data bus is screwed up somehow and my re-flashes crash every couple of times and will only work on the low speed setting... If you fail a full OS reflash early on, the PCM is toast. :nonod:

Hmmm. I don't think that's true with EFI Justin -- it recovers IIR. You can do the 2 bar map in a 1 bar os if you can tweak the MAP scaler, but the difference between doing so and a 2 bar OS is night and day.

My experience only applies to EFI Live Custom OS -- I left HPT back when they couldn't support 2 bar tuning for our trucks and didn't know when they would.

Mr. P.

Hmmm. I don't think that's true with EFI Justin -- it recovers IIR. You can do the 2 bar map in a 1 bar os if you can tweak the MAP scaler, but the difference between doing so and a 2 bar OS is night and day.

My experience only applies to EFI Live Custom OS -- I left HPT back when they couldn't support 2 bar tuning for our trucks and didn't know when they would.

If it bombs in the first 15k of a full reflash, the PCM is toast... It's a small window, but when I do a PCM read on it, it will hang no less than two times. I'm afraid that I'd erase the flash mem, then never be able to fully re-flash the custom OS.

I'll bet I could get it working if I electrically isolate the PCM, just haven't gotten around to it yet. :cool:

Mr. P.

If it bombs in the first 15k of a full reflash, the PCM is toast... It's a small window, but when I do a PCM read on it, it will hang no less than two times. I'm afraid that I'd erase the flash mem, then never be able to fully re-flash the custom OS.

I'll bet I could get it working if I electrically isolate the PCM, just haven't gotten around to it yet. :cool:

I have an old LS1 edit cable that may allow you to do just that - should work. LS1 edit never used the ALDL connector. You hooked straight to the PCM. I just moved my household, so it would take a little while to find it, but I should be able to if you're interested.

Archived