The Debate begins.

kaotik1

It has it's ups and downs just like everything else in life. I agree it could be a good thing for in some cases, but I dont like the fact that it "could" be used to monitor how drive on a daily bases, it can be argueed as invasion of privacy.

By the way the air bag module is not the only computer to store the data, GM has been doing this since the mid 90's. The body control mdoule, abs, and pcm will also store the data. When I worked at the dealer (late 90's) I had a 1500 pick up come in to the body shop (totaled) and had to check the ABS and pull the data for GM to read, back then it was not as detailed as now but they knew what the driver was doing just at impact :driving: So its not going to be easy to disable

imo if you dont like speeding sell that 20' long, 350+ hp high performance machine you own and get a ****ing bike. Nothing is going to stop speeding from being fun, it has been all through history. Some dip who sits in gridlock all day in some city wants these rules put into effect. Just one more thing the MAN is trying to put his power on.

I am not saying that I am for this or against it, in the right situation this will be a help, in other cases not so much. Lets just move on and say tomorrow was here today.

It's September 23rd, I and a bunch of other mombers here go to the drag strip. Most of us will drive there and not be trailered. After a long day of 100mph hour runs, it's time to go home. I get onto the highway and make my way back to CT, setting the cruise at 70mph relaxing in the a/c. I come up on slower traffic move over a lane step up just a touch to pass, signal and move back into the middle lane. Next thing I know the wonderful flashing red and blues........... I pull over to the side of the road, and the trooper comes to my truck, noticing that I have tint, as I roll my window down. He politly asks for my liciense and registration, as well as insurance, then proceeds to tell me I as going 73 in a 65. I appoligize as he walks to the front of the truck, and states that I do not have a front plate, for which again I say that I am sorry. I have no problem with the police force they are only doing their jobs, and they are people to. But now the officer asks what I'm trying to hide, with the tint and no front plate? Simply say nothing sir, then he asks if I would mind if he looked inside my vehceile, having nothing to hide, I say sure no problem and open it up. As he walks back to his car, grabs a laptop, then proceeds to Download the information on the EDR.... This will show that about 20 minutes prior to this stop that I was at reckless speeds, but in a controlled enviorment. He does not know that I was at the track, all he knows is that this little box said I was at over 100mph.......

What happens from here? There was probable cause becaue of tint and lack of plate, there was also a speed pending ticket.

I am not saying that I am for this or against it, in the right situation this will be a help, in other cases not so much. Lets just move on and say tomorrow was here today.

It's September 23rd, I and a bunch of other mombers here go to the drag strip. Most of us will drive there and not be trailered. After a long day of 100mph hour runs, it's time to go home. I get onto the highway and make my way back to CT, setting the cruise at 70mph relaxing in the a/c. I come up on slower traffic move over a lane step up just a touch to pass, signal and move back into the middle lane. Next thing I know the wonderful flashing red and blues........... I pull over to the side of the road, and the trooper comes to my truck, noticing that I have tint, as I roll my window down. He politly asks for my liciense and registration, as well as insurance, then proceeds to tell me I as going 73 in a 65. I appoligize as he walks to the front of the truck, and states that I do not have a front plate, for which again I say that I am sorry. I have no problem with the police force they are only doing their jobs, and they are people to. But now the officer asks what I'm trying to hide, with the tint and no front plate? Simply say nothing sir, then he asks if I would mind if he looked inside my vehceile, having nothing to hide, I say sure no problem and open it up. As he walks back to his car, grabs a laptop, then proceeds to Download the information on the EDR.... This will show that about 20 minutes prior to this stop that I was at reckless speeds, but in a controlled enviorment. He does not know that I was at the track, all he knows is that this little box said I was at over 100mph.......

What happens from here? There was probable cause becaue of tint and lack of plate, there was also a  speed pending ticket.

Track time slips that would be the exact same top speed as he sees on his comp and possible window paint if u used it.

My point is, the law needs to assume people are innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent.

Unfortunately, that's the way it goes. My case is a great example and I will go to my grave saying that I was not doing 85/90 the day I was pulled over. But it was the trooper's word against mine and guess what, the trooper is always right. Have I done 85 or 90 before? Sure. I've even gone past 100 a few times until the limiter set in. But that was on a wide open highway without anyone in front of me. I know what my truck can do and it's limits and I stay in those limits. Who among us SS owners hasn't? Who buys an SS just for looks and strictly drives 55-65 every day? Anyone can be driving 55 and have a heart attack or stroke or even get a blow out and take out another person on the road. Wreckless driving; speeding while weaving in and out of traffic or speeding in a residential/school area is wreckless. Driving a vehicle that was made to go fast, on an open highway, in a clear lane, does not constitute wreckless driving in my book, even though it is against the law. That's my opinion.

I believe the court did what was right. Those blackboxes show the events leading up to the accident and can help the investigators piece together exactly what happened. If you did something really reckless like going 139mph on a city street and hitting a jeep, you should be punished for your actions. I only though will support having these blackboxes having the ability to monitor the last 15-20sec before the airbag is deployed. Thus it cannot be used aginst our civil liberties and it would only be used when their is a serious accident. Consistent monitoring and the ability to check all the driving habits would allow companies to even void your warranty if they presume you were racing (subaru, Mitsubishi).

off topic a little.

i would be more woried about onstar then the EDR system. just think what onstar can do,

track you by GPS, access to your pcm, unlock your doors, read codes that are stored, and more.

just think...hello onstar, this is GMAC, gomer smith is late on payments on his new truck, where is he?... the truck is driving down I-5 south. thank you onstar we want to repo the truck can you set a code for us, and put it in limp mode so he has to stop, and when he dose make sure it will not restart please. thank you. :mad:

MORE BIG BROTHER..... :banghead:

:seeya:

rant over back on topic...thank you

off topic a little.

i would be more woried about onstar then the EDR system. just think what onstar can do,

track you by GPS, access to your pcm, unlock your doors, read codes that are stored, and more.

just think...hello onstar, this is GMAC, gomer smith is late on payments on his new truck, where is he?... the truck is driving down I-5 south. thank you onstar we want to repo the truck can you set a code for us, and put it in limp mode so he has to stop, and when he dose make sure it will not restart please. thank you.  :mad:

MORE BIG BROTHER..... :banghead:

:seeya:

rant over back on topic...thank you

:withstupid:

GM is putting onstar on damn near everything they make now...and they aren't telling you everything it can do :wtf:

Just something to note: These boxes record the last 5 seconds of data. They don't record what you did at the drag strip, unless your run was 5 seconds ago. They don't record what you did yesterday or last week. They only useful information ANYONE can get out of them is what happened in the last 5 seconds of driving before the airbags deployed.

Can it be removed? Not if you want your airbags to work. The airbag controller uses the information gathered to deploy the air bags properly.

IMO there is no reason to panic. If you're worried about government surveilance, they can figure all this stuff out from your cellphone anyway (with a warrant -- your location within 3 feet can be tracked in to the 911 system, it wouldn't be hard to calculate your speed give the the time it takes you to get between two points). And that's only if the satelites (which can read the number you are dialing off the screen of your cellphone) don't happen to be tasked on your area at the time. I guess if they can't figure enough out from those two sources, they can get a warrant for Onstar and lojack data. BUT you gotta ask yourself: Just how important am I to the federal government? Unless you are a big time criminal, you aren't even on their radar...

At any rate the data has to be read from the black box which has a limited time buffer an **no transmitters**. Solution for thos feeling especially paranoid? Leave the truck idling when pulled over, or put your blinker on and take 5 - 10 seconds to get to the side of the road. Then keep track of how many officers demand to see your black box.

Edited by TurbochargedBerserker (see edit history)

Our trucks do 5 seconds. I believe some fords do 20 seconds, but I haven't seen any GM vehicle that records that long (not that I've looked hard).

No EDRs record 100 key cycles -- some PCMs may take data for that long on diagnostic tests, but that's a different thing.

As far as I am aware, no car I know of is equipped with an accelerometer, or a gyroscope, so no car can figure out if you are doing .5 gs or not