Replacing factory subwoofer

kowboy

Would it even be worth it to replace with a high-end sub? What size sub is in there? I guess you'd wanna replace the amp too, huh? C'mon you audiophiles, I know the bose sounds good, but there's gotta be a way to improve the sound system without gutting the damn thing and replacing it all, right? I only want to add some deeper, louder bass to the great-sounding factory system. Whaddya think?

Well, the deal is... I AM going to add a jl audio stealthbox under the rear seat, not the replacement center console - I'd like to keep my factory console. But... the stealthbox only holds one 12" jl sub(I thought I saw one once that held two, although maybe they were 10 inch subs, and you lose your jack and tire iron, etc.) So....I want the single 12" under the seat AND replace the console sub with a better one, and then maybe it's gonna be beatin' down the block a little. I've been screwed by reputable sound shops in the past before, so building a custom enclosure is out of the question - at least with the box jl audio makes, it's tuned and designed specifically for that sub, with that vehicle, knowwhatImean? I'm just trying to get the loudest, deepest bang without intruding on the stock appearance too much. - I wish I could get my 12w7 back under there :D:D . But..... not gonna happen, the basket is way too deep. I need help!!!!

I haven't heard the stealth box with that 12 but I was thinking of going that way. I'm happy with the 10w6v2 I got in there. Of course not as deep but good enough. That stealth I heard is pretty good if you mount it to your cab, makes the whole thing a big box. :cool:

Well, the deal is... I AM going to add a jl audio stealthbox under the rear seat, not the replacement center console - I'd like to keep my factory console. But... the stealthbox only holds one 12" jl sub(I thought I saw one once that held two, although maybe they were 10 inch subs, and you lose your jack and tire iron, etc.) So....I want the single 12" under the seat AND replace the console sub with a better one, and then maybe it's gonna be beatin' down the block a little. I've been screwed by reputable sound shops in the past before, so building a custom enclosure is out of the question - at least with the box jl audio makes, it's tuned and designed specifically for that sub, with that vehicle, knowwhatImean? I'm just trying to get the loudest, deepest bang without intruding on the stock appearance too much. - I wish I could get my 12w7 back under there :D:D . But..... not gonna happen, the basket is way too deep. I need help!!!!

i know that the JL stealth boxes sound good, with the right amp...pheonix gold usually is the best match for the JL subs...replacing the factory sub - let us know how it sounds...you might also want to upgrade with door speakers...add a little mid and high to those deep lows you are looking for...i myself got a customer enclosure made...a friend of mine is in the business, we finished it up on a weekend...but i can understand that a lot of stereo shops take people for their money...i do not believe that there is a dual 10" prefab box out there, i may be wrong...that has happened before...but a single 12" with the air space should sounds great...good luck... :thumbs:

Well, I've already got the 500/1 amp - I was pushing the 12w7 with it, so yeah it's probably overkill for the 12w3, but I'll just have to watch my volume, ya know? Plus, I've also got the external gain knob, that I'll mount somewhere up front so I can keep it under control. Blackyss13, you mentioned that your setup was a bit pricey, huh? How much just for the stealthbox w/sub(not including your amp)?

Well, I've already got the 500/1 amp - I was pushing the 12w7 with it, so yeah it's probably overkill for the 12w3, but I'll just have to watch my volume, ya know? Plus, I've also got the external gain knob, that I'll mount somewhere up front so I can keep it under control. Blackyss13, you mentioned that your setup was a bit pricey, huh? How much just for the stealthbox w/sub(not including your amp)?

too bad you didnt have the 1000/1 pushing that 12. Had a buddy with that setup, NICE!! Around here i've seen the stealth for about 600 w/out amp.

:lol: , only 500/1, come on, that 12W7 was begging for more. I've got a 1000/1 on my 10" :P

My current work in progress is a 24Hz tuned 2.4cuft ported 8W7 w/ epicenter running of a 500/1. :crazy: It should be able to hit the low notes ;)

Archived