Is the VIN stamped into the block???

Bowtie70SS

Let's just say I'm trying to verify if I actually have my original engine. I'm sure it was original when I pulled it and took it to a builder, and I want to verify it is the same one. Yeah I know I should have stamped it but I didn't give it a second thought since it isn't old or rare.

Dave

There are a few places on the block where there are #'s I know down on the sides of the block just below the cylinder heads there are square boses that stick out and there are #'s there but if the block is rusty there which it most likely is you will need to derust it to see the #'s I believe it's on the right side.

In this day and age I would be stunned if the block didn't have an identifying bar code on it. Since these engines are machined by robots at the factory they must have a machine-readable tag somewhere that tells the scanner exactly what vehicle/VIN the raw casting is meant for (inventory control).

Mr. P.

In this day and age I would be stunned if the block didn't have an identifying bar code on it.  Since these engines are machined by robots at the factory they must have a machine-readable tag somewhere that tells the scanner exactly what vehicle/VIN the raw casting is meant for (inventory control).

Mr. P.

Yeah I found it the different places on the block I have at work both bosses on the right side front and rear have a number and on the lfet side on the rear by the bellhousing bolts on the side but that one is very very hard to see because it it put in after the factory paint. None of these will be seen unless the block has been removed of all rust in these areas. I would guess you could wire wheel the bosses on the right side and get the numbers but they are not the VIN # I would guess they don't exactly stamp a "VIN" # on them but a # that some how relates to the VIN of the truck but not the same #. From what I could see these three areas all had the same #'s.