Need help...Truck is overheating...

adams2003

So ive had my flexalite electric fans for a little over a year...After going through a couple control modules/melting wires and overheating my truck (temps as high as 235degrees) 3 or 4 times I decided it was time to get an electric fan wiring harness from nelson performance. I had some time today and me and chase installed the harness. The fans are working fine...but my temps are still all screwed up. We took it out for a test drive (with the hp tuners hooked up) and the temp got up to 225 degrees with both fans on full blast. So we pulled over, temp went back down to 180 within 6-7 minutes so we took it back out and it did it again. Im thinking that I might have a problem with my thermostat (I have a 160 by the way) not opening properly. :dunno: Help would be greatly appreciated, because I definately need to figure out this problem before my new motor goes in.

A few things come to mind to consider; Has the truck always run hot, or just since installing e-fans, or just with this harness? Possibly an big air bubble in the system not triggering the thermo to open? Fans not blowing in the right direction/ not pulling air through radiator? Clogged radiator? Bad thermo (unlikely, but possible)? Bad temp sending unit giving you false readings on HPT? Failing water pump? Low coolant?

I've encountered this before on another vehicle. I'd take the T-stat out and button it up and see if you overheat. This would let you know if its the T-stat before you spend the money on one. It will also give you a chance to make sure you have all the air out of the coolant system.

Update:Its definately not the thermostat that's causing the problem. I put the stock theromostat in on friday night and after taking it out that night and all day saturday it would run consistantly about 10 degrees hotter than with the 160 stat....and then quickly start jumping up in temp the longer I drove....at one point yesterday the truck went from 207deg to 252 :eek: in a matter of two miles of 15mph traffic. Everytime it would jump up I would pull over and the temps would go back down to 205.

Do you guys think that my motor was damaged from overheating when the fan module kept burning out.....causing it to run at much higher temps know?

Something to suggest that I've seen a few times before. Make sure the fans are turning the correct direction. If the fans are working right you should be able to suck a rag to the grille.

Well, I officially feel like a jackass. :banghead: You were right zippy, the fans are turning the wrong direction. I should have checked that first....atleast there is a simple fix to this dilema.