Headers or Cam

CaliChevyV8

Well they won't install my pacesetters because they would have to mess with my cats and that illegal here in Cali :cry: ... So now I have 2 options, actually 2 sets of options.

First either I sent these pacesetters back to jet hot, or I sell them to somone on here.

Second, I either buy a pair of dynatechs or get a cam :dunno:

The guy told me it would be alittle under $2000 to do the cam, thats with a custom grinded cam for $490 then like around $1500 for other parts and labor.

I need some advice here boys :shakehead:

labor is where they kill you with a cam....kinda high but its a high end shop and to get it done right. you can shop around in other shops....luckily your in cali where thers a lot of SSS and vho's especially fast ones. so ask around in the board and see what they paid. another option is to get futral or another custam cam place to make you a cam to your spec. but if this guy is a all in one then it may be worth it.....mybe you can get mid-length headers like (i believe) ASM or old tog's that someone has. and i hopefully the guy might throw in tuning with the whole shabang

then ask around and see whats up. ask where some of the guys here got there cam install and if they recommend any. if hes the best, cost/reliability ratio. then you gotta think about it. also something to think about is that you have a "guy" to take your truck to. he may hook you up or help you out when others wont. the whole benefit of buying stuff local instead of the internet. but thats a seperate topic entirely.

i guess return the headers if you can for full price first.

im sure everyone else here can actually chime in for the specs of the cam etc. reliability/towing etc. i need to get my damn re-tune......

Two-grand for installing a smog-cheater cam? Sheesus Christ... :eek:

Don't get rid of the headers just yet. Post up exactly what the guy told you for an estimate (brand of cam, other parts included, etc). Did that price come with any tuning? (if so I could actually see the justification in the 2-grand price).

A cam will not work to it's full potential without headers. If you are going to use factory manifolds you are going to need a cam with a lot of exhaust duration to make up for it. I personally would install the headers you have ordered; however if you want to play it a bit more conservative then I would recommend you sell the Pacesetters to someone that can recoup your costs, then buy a set of AZ Speed & Marine mid-length headers as that product leaves the cats in their stock location.

Personally, I would install the Pacesetters. As they are double coated I'm sure that the cats will still light off and the truck will still pass the sniffer, and there are many smog inspectors who will overlook the CARB sticker bureaucracy b.s. if the vehicle runs clean and passes the sniffer.

Mr. P.

I've looked up some of the posts on here and on PT.net and it seems most people are gettin installs done for about $300 to $800. They say they are getting springs and retainers and stuff too. What are all the necesary "parts" needed for a cam install? I'd like to go through this guy so I have a relationship built and a all in one shop to continue taking my truck to.

Not sure what cam yet. He said it would be a big job to get those headers on because there is not much if at all room to get the stock cats to work. Hes tuning my truck right now so I am going to talk to him in a few hours when I pick it up. How much do cam installs usually go for?

cam prices sound out of this world. Headers can be put on by almost anybody(I installed my dynatechs). Think of your long term plans. I purchased my cam before I'm ready to install so it sits in the basement. I got new springs and some ti retainers(lots of $$$) but that's just me. Now I'm saving up for a SC while over $600 worth of parts sits in the basement. Good thing is that I have $400 saved for the cam isntall. The cam will work good with the SC so I'm going to wait to have it installed. Surely somebody will isntall the headers. Lots of options but it could cost you. Determins your long term goals and go from there. Put together a plan and see what you have. :thumbs:

cam prices sound out of this world. Headers can be put on by almost anybody(I installed my dynatechs). Think of your long term plans. I purchased my cam before I'm ready to install so it sits in the basement. I got new springs and some ti retainers(lots of $$$) but that's just me. Now I'm saving up for a SC while over $600 worth of parts sits in the basement. Good thing is that I have $400 saved for the cam isntall. The cam will work good with the SC so I'm going to wait to have it installed. Surely somebody will isntall the headers. Lots of options but it could cost you. Determins your long term goals and go from there. Put together a plan and see what you have. :thumbs:

How hard were the dynatechs to install? Do they come with step by step instructions or did you already have experience? I can't find anyone to install the pacesetters, I went to a few other places and they said no one in Cali would risk it. I'm thinkin about just returning the pacesetters and installing some dynatechs myself if there isn't too much I can screw up on the install.

How hard were the dynatechs to install? Do they come with step by step instructions or did you already have experience? I can't find anyone to install the pacesetters, I went to a few other places and they said no one in Cali would risk it. I'm thinkin about just returning the pacesetters and installing some dynatechs myself if there isn't too much I can screw up on the install.

Not too hard. I had no experience installing the headers but I took my time and ask the forum for help when I needed it.