Converter's

I have read all the posts regarding changing the stall converter...just 1 loaded question left?

if i were to choose an aftermarket converter, would there be any other modifications required for the tranny (so that it survives) and what would the best choice be for that converter for a daily driver that towes on occasion?

my thoughts of adding a SC are fadding, i am leaning more towards the converter, fans and maybe a 50 shot (to quicken it up a bit when needed)...then again eventually once i get greedy again my dreams of the SC will wake up again and i want to make sure that everything that i do now will hold up then as well...i am planning on keeping this truck for a long time and i do not want to keep replacing things cause i continue to change my mind...

thanks guys

:seeya::flag::thumbs::chevy:

towing is the really hard part with having a stall converter. i know slp sells a 2600 stall converter (i believe made by yank) specificly for trucks. you're going to want to try to stick with an 11" converter with not much more than 2600 or so of stall. you can try using synthetic fluid also to reduce fluid temperatures. a shift kit is recomended with a stall converter, but that part hasn't been dead set on what to use for this truck/trans combo.

To be honest IMO if you want to keep this truck for a long time don’t mess with anything at all, keep it stock and don’t mess with anything that changes shift firmness. Replacing the converter and adding a shift kit is going to kill the tranny in a few years IMO…but if you are dead set on performance and also want long term reliability save up some bucks and go the same route as Setti is doing right now and upgrade the tranny…. 02$ and MHO…

i really only need the truck to last a year or two...for a daily driver...after than i am going to make a tahoe into an SS...engine and body...

i think that i would lean towards the tranny upgrade, w/ stall converter...because then down the road if i want to go nuts with a blower and NOS...then the powertrian is there...plus if you add up the costs, they are about the same...

thanks guys...

I dont know much about stalls but i have know a few people not really like it on their everyday drivers. but they went with a higher stall than 2600 too. and i have heard that a shift kit actually saves the tranny because it makes it shift quicker which saves on the clutch packs and so on. but all of that is what i have heard and seen. so thats my .02

• 2 weeks later...

Jason - what's the everyday driving attitude like now with the TT3000? I guess you put all in while you had the tranny out? Just curious if you were able to put the servo in without having to take out, by chance.

Jason - what's the everyday driving attitude like now with the TT3000? I guess you put all in while you had the tranny out? Just curious if you were able to put the servo in without having to take out, by chance.

Yes, I believe the servo can be put in without dropping the tranny. We, ofcourse, dropped it to do the convertor. I like the stall, with a little louder exhaust, it would be even better. Again, it's an 11" convertor, and is pretty tight, except for when you drop the :smash: , then she slips to 3000 quite quickly. With LS1 Edit, you can make the convertor even more livable. I like it better than stock. :thumbs:

the servo is a tight fit, but will go in without lowering anything. the billet servo is even more difficult to install that way and i've pulled that one off also. takes about 20 minutes and minimal fluid loss.

the servo is a tight fit, but will go in without lowering anything. the billet servo is even more difficult to install that way and i've pulled that one off also. takes about 20 minutes and minimal fluid loss.

Really?? It seems a little tight with exhaust and heat shield. Maybe with the heat shield out of the way, it wouldn't be too bad. You guys messed me up. I was looking for an excuse to go ahead and buy the TC.

Really?? It seems a little tight with exhaust and heat shield. Maybe with the heat shield out of the way, it wouldn't be too bad. You guys messed me up. I was looking for an excuse to go ahead and buy the TC.

Nope, I looked at it again. It can't be done w/o dropping the tranny ;)

Archived