Erratic idle...

punkt71

I would check the fuel filter, like the others said. You might have picked up some sediment from the bottom of the tank when you ran it too low. How many miles on the truck, and has the filter ever been changed? Those are only good for about 15-20k miles IIRC. Back in the old days if you ran it too low, the pickup tube "sock" in the tank could get clogged. Not sure if that would happen on such new trucks yet, especially since you have the Radix which needed the addition of another pump or changing the stock pump depending on the year truck.

I had the same problem with a jeep got really low on gas and sucked up dirt off the bottom of the tank. Clogged up my fuel Filter. ..........Check that its a $5 part anywhere.

just trying to hlep

Ever tried to buy a fuel filter for an 04'???

the fuel filter was my first thought too. had a similar problem waaaaay back with my old custom deluxe. when i read about the battery, it reminded me of my work truck. had a similar problem to this as well. turned out to be a bad terminal on the battery. pulled right out. if you wiggled it around, it would stall and then catch.

good luck!

:devil:

all of this sounds so damned familiar, cuz im going thu it myself, but to a slightly less degree.

at idle, i feel a random 'bump' from the engine, almost like a misfire.. but i dont HEAR it when standing outside the cab with the hood open. at very slow speeds.. like creeping up at a light, i feel like the truck's running like garbage.

at highway speeds, and under load SES flashes.

fuel filter was changed by jiffylube in august.. but i did the same low gas, light on thing a couple times.. so maybe its fooked again.

im also wondering if i need new plugs again.

Frank and I are getting together next week for a custom tune, and hopefully we will notice something.

Tomorrow im going to murrays or autozone to find any decent cleaners, like seafoam, that 3 step thing.. etc.. just to be proactive.

ok

last weekend i bought 2 cans of seafoam from advance auto parts for about 5 bucks a can.

i had 1/4 of a tank of gas left. i put the whole can in the tank.

the other can, i put 1/3 thru the brake vacum line, and 2/3 in the engine via the oil res cap.

i let it sit for an hour, restarted.. very little smoke for me.

next day i got an oil change.

filled up with 93 octane from BP.

it runs almost perfect now.. i think a frankie tune's needed to get it where i want it. .but no more hesitation, full power.. slams me in my seat off a start.

mpg went from 13.3 to over 14.

so.. IMHO, seafoam is fantastic, really works. even though 2 dealers said they cleaned my injectors, i dont believe them. if they did, then something is amiss because in less than 5000 miles they needed to be cleaned again.

i think ill do this treatment 3 -4 times a year.

i think ill do this treatment 3 -4 times a year.

seafoam is :thumbs: but i also use LUCAS injector cleaner.we use it at work and buy it by the gal. i put in about 2oz. after i run 1 tank of gas after i seafoam. the LUCAS will clean up anything in the injectors that the Seafoam misses. then i just put in about 2oz.every 2000 mi. after that....

:seeya:

Archived