tuning programers

Indianarandy

Yes I am posting asking for help again. I do not have alot of money to spend right now and I want to make the following changes-firmer shifts,less torque management,louder exhaust sound,more overall pin you in the seat feelings.

I have been looking into programing tuners.I think the Superchip or Diablos Predator.I have read the search results here and still do not know which to go with-any suggestions??????I have also read some of the posts about changing the muffler-25 HP gain-will not change the sucky shifts, but for my other issues it seems like a logical choice.

Any responses will be really appreciated and when I start making some modifications I will post my opions.

Tahnks for the help. ;) ;) ;)

Yes I am posting asking for help again. I do not have alot of money to spend right now and I want to make the following changes-firmer shifts,less torque management,louder exhaust sound,more overall pin you in the seat feelings.

I have been looking into programing tuners.I think the Superchip or Diablos Predator.I have read the search results here and still do not know which to go with-any suggestions??????I have also read some of the posts about changing the muffler-25 HP gain-will not change the sucky shifts, but for my other issues it seems like a logical choice.

Any responses will be really appreciated and when I start making some modifications I will post my opions.

Tahnks for the help. ;) ;) ;)

Did you ever decide on what tuner or did you go with a shop to program your pcm?

later,

allen

I just installed my Superchips today. I went out and did 5 runs 0-60mph before the Superchips and averaged the best 3. Then I did the same after Superchips although traffic limited me to only 3 runs this time. I averaged 7.11 before with a best of 7.00 and 6.81 after with a best of 6.60. So I picked up three tenths in 0-60 or a max gain of 4 tenths when looking at the best of each. This was with me starting the stopwatch right when I stomped the gas. That's costing me a couple of tenths right there I would imagine. If I could've power braked I could've improved the times. But I was consistent in my procedure so the impact of the Superchips should be representative. Boy, I never noticed that there's a little tiny lag between when you stomp the gas and when she starts accelerating. So on to the tuning: I used the performance tuning option and left everything as is within the Superchips tune. I had the option of raising the rev limit more, raising the shift points more and raising the shift pressure more. I am satisfied with the results but the shifts aren't as quick and as firm as I would like. I am going to try increasing the shift pressure to maximum and see what that does.

On a side note: While installing the Superchips tune the DIC flashed the message "Reduced Engine Power" and it didn't go away until the very end of the upload of the Superchips performance tune. It did go away and everything is good now.

Not bad gains at all. Have you taken it to the track yet? I'd be curious to see what kind of gains it gives you.

I'm guessing the hesitation you are feeling is due to the fact that SuperChips doesn't want to take all the TM or "features" out. I never like that feeling either.

Get a shiftkit in there if you can, that will help on the firmer shifts. Your programmer will also only let you increase the pressure so far, so you'll be safe increasing it to the max.

thanks for the update,

allen

Between the two, I would go with SuperChips. I wish I could give you some great reason why but my gut feeling tells me SuperChips would be more reliable and still accomplish the same thing. Just my .02 worth.

I like both programmers for what they are, but I'd have to lean towards Superchips as well.

I burn custom diablo (predator) chips and sell the superchips programmer, and I like it better.

Both are great, just depends on what you're after.

The ultimate is what I use for ls1's and trucks, LS1Edit, very costly, but worth it if you have time and patience. Not the most straight forward product, but it beats both of the above.

Of course any of the products are going to give you gains.

later,

allen

:thumbs: I have ordered the superchip because I got a really great price on it.(thanks to a post here).It sounds like I have made the right choice.If I had the money I would go with the Magnacharger, but as I can see I am not the only one here with a budget trying to squeeze a little more performance out of our awsome trucks. For everyday driving my priorities are better feeling performance(TM needs to be more of a traction control system for weather conditions and leave the engine torque alone unless wheel slippage is detected)much stiffer shifts and more sound from the exhauast.I am still talking to my local muffler shops about duals. I think I will go with a single muffler(magnaflow or flowmaster) with the dual inlet\dual outlet 3.0 piping with some cool tips. Thanks for all the input so for and any more will be appreciated. I will post on my feelings about my planed mods after I get them done.

:thumbs: I have ordered the superchip because I got a really great price on it.(thanks to a post here).It sounds like I have made the right choice.If I had the money I would go with the Magnacharger, but as I can see I am not the only one here with a budget trying to squeeze a little more performance out of our awsome trucks. For everyday driving my priorities are better feeling performance(TM needs to be more of a traction control system for weather conditions and leave the engine torque alone unless wheel slippage is detected)much stiffer shifts and more sound from the exhauast.I am still talking to my local muffler shops about duals. I think I will go with a single muffler(magnaflow or flowmaster) with the dual inlet\dual outlet 3.0 piping with some cool tips. Thanks for all the input so for and any more will be appreciated. I will post on my feelings about my planed mods after I get them done.

There are several threads about exhaust on here. Be sure & read them if you haven't already..

I just installed my Superchips today. I went out and did 5 runs 0-60mph before the Superchips and averaged the best 3. Then I did the same after Superchips although traffic limited me to only 3 runs this time. I averaged 7.11 before with a best of 7.00 and 6.81 after with a best of 6.60. So I picked up three tenths in 0-60 or a max gain of 4 tenths when looking at the best of each. This was with me starting the stopwatch right when I stomped the gas. That's costing me a couple of tenths right there I would imagine. If I could've power braked I could've improved the times. But I was consistent in my procedure so the impact of the Superchips should be representative. Boy, I never noticed that there's a little tiny lag between when you stomp the gas and when she starts accelerating. So on to the tuning: I used the performance tuning option and left everything as is within the Superchips tune. I had the option of raising the rev limit more, raising the shift points more and raising the shift pressure more. I am satisfied with the results but the shifts aren't as quick and as firm as I would like. I am going to try increasing the shift pressure to maximum and see what that does.

On a side note: While installing the Superchips tune the DIC flashed the message "Reduced Engine Power" and it didn't go away until the very end of the upload of the Superchips performance tune. It did go away and everything is good now.

Did you adjust the shift points & pressure yet. If so, what did you change them to.

I got my SC tuner yesterday and installed it.

I was afraid to mess with any options.lol I just installed the performance program.

I also bought the SuperChips unit. For the money, it is about the best tuner you can use. Set the shift firmness/line pressures to max. It still isn't as firm as my 91 Silverado. The trans in that truck must be rare. It bangs second gear pretty hard, and third is very firm, I can't believe it is stock.

I'm still running the stock exhaust on my SS, I understand it is very free flowing. I will eventually change over to a full flowmaster system for better sound, I hope it flows better too. Has anyone out there got any test results from an exhaust change?

If you're looking for instant power on demand, and don't plan on using it all of the time, I would go look into a dry nitrous system. An extra 150 horses at the push of a button might be exactly what some of you are looking for. Myself, I would get tired of filling the bottles!

I have a hot rod for all my needs for speed, but the power of the SS is nice to have on demand!

SuperDave

Changed shift points and firmness to max. and saw quite a difference. The truck revs. right up to 6000rpm before shifting and the shifts are considerably quicker and firmer. I was hoping for a little more firmness but I really like the way it drives with everything set at max.

Archived