extended warranty.... bah!

dgi

Holy shnikeys. GM gave me 3years 36k for free. The dealer I got my truck from would would step up on some issues and that is what GM did to keep me happy. Cover until 50k or 5/08. Don't know if I would spend the $ but one big repair and it paid for itself.

with a $200 deductible GM wants ~$2400 for an additional 3yr/45K miles. 

I dont think thats worth it... what do you guys think?

FYI: I just got my truck last week.  Its a 2003 with 50K miles on the clock.

Price out the replacement on a transmission... cuz if anything goes wrong that'll be it.

Price out the replacement on a transmission... cuz if anything goes wrong that'll be it.

Yep, and with most dealers you will be looking at a min 8.5 hours labor to R&R a trans, plus cost of the tranny.

I look at an warranty like a bet...you are betting them that you are gonna break your truck and they are betting you that it won't break. Here's the catch...they hold all of the cards and they can and will deny you service for any reason. IMO you are better off keeping your money and saving it for repairs down the road. You can have a trans rebuilt for under $2k...less than half that if you take it out yourself. I really don't care for other people working on my rides and about every time I have let someone do work for me it has turned out not so well.

Dave

sounds like not what GM wants but what the dealer wants...I'll look up cost for you on Friday when I get back into my store, it's ALOT less than than that, that's for sure.

• 2 months later...

Silly question but I am going to ask anyway. I got the extended GM warranty from the dealer for 5 years 50K is it just like extending out the original 3 year 36K. I didnt realize how many miles I had till today 35360. I am not sure if I should be jumping to get in the dealer. Or my 50K will hold me over. :dunno: I have the usual steering shaft and now the front end is starting to grind.

I look at  an warranty like a bet...you are betting them that you are gonna break your truck and they are betting you that it won't break. Here's the catch...they hold all of the cards and they can and will deny you service for any reason. IMO you are better off keeping your money and saving it for repairs down the road. You can have a trans rebuilt for under $2k...less than half that if you take it out yourself. I really don't care for other people working on my rides and about every time I have let someone do work for me it has turned out not so well.

Dave

IMHO ... at 50K on a 2003, there's alot more that's going to start breaking on that truck besides the tranny. I have an '03 too, and I paid $1350 for 3/36 extended coverage. I'm happy to say I used every bit of it, and more.

A/C system replacement (Yes, I did say replacement) ran around $1350.

Front Diff. Repair/Rebuild plus Inst. Clust. Replacement was $1220.

And ... because they cover a rental car when your truck is in the shop ... I've turned in a rental bill for $280.

TOTAL Out of Pocket (Deductibles + Warranty Cost): $1550

Out of Pocket W/O the Warranty: $2850

BUY THE WARRANTY. IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY.

I look at  an warranty like a bet...you are betting them that you are gonna break your truck and they are betting you that it won't break. Here's the catch...they hold all of the cards and they can and will deny you service for any reason. IMO you are better off keeping your money and saving it for repairs down the road. You can have a trans rebuilt for under $2k...less than half that if you take it out yourself. I really don't care for other people working on my rides and about every time I have let someone do work for me it has turned out not so well.

I'm with you dealers/warranty SUCK, if they can get out of it they WILL.

I had the light switch/dome on top the dash board fall into the dash, I took it in to get fixed (05 4,221miles) the dealer says because I had a alarm put in, the dash is NOT under warranty my cost $125 :wtf:

The reason the warranty seems high, is that you are already over your 3 years of 36k, original warranty.

Once you go over this mark, the warranty costs go up. I am going to get mine this August, just before mine runs out. Said it will be around $1800 for $0.00 deductible.

The wife got hers on the Denali ... one month after getting it, the transmittion went. Paid for itself in one use of the extended warranty.

BTW ... think of all the little electronic switches and stuff on our trucks ... replace a couple of them, and the warranty will seem like a good deal.

I can tell you that I have used all the money and then some with my GMPP. Whenever I take it in they seem to be more then happy to try and get it fixed. Plus rental car is covered. I went with the -0- deduct just for the fact of it can be kinda hard to come up with 500 bucks when ever. The most important part is to find a dealer who will work with you and has a "good" tech. If you have to look around and remind them "One happy owner tells 100 people and an unhappy one tells 50,000 on the internet." And lets face it Chevy can't afford to be playing games right now they NEED repeat customers.