Oil ANd Oil filter

So, I'm a little confused now... but I'd like to run synthetic oil. So here's what I'm thinking of running. Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30 and a AMSOIL oil filter... What do you guys think? :dunno:

:withstupid: This combo. is a waste of money.

The new AmsOil Ea filter will last as long as their oil change interval ... 25,000 miles. If you mix it with Mobil1, you'll need to change the filter @ 3000 mi. and throw away about $40 for the filter.

When you do the math, using AmsOil is a clear choice:

8 oil changes in 25,000 miles @ $20 a change is $160.

To run AmsOil, which is 1 change in 25,000 miles, you'll pay about $80. (And put the $80 you saved towards that N'Sync Collector's Edition CD Set you've always wanted ...)

Plus, you'll see gains in fuel economy. (Which, I know most of the guys on here aren't concerned about ...)

When I first got my SS I was lucky to 16 MPG on the Hwy. Now that I run AmsOil 0W-30 in the motor, the Ea Oil Filter, their Ea Air Filter, and the Severe Duty ATF in the Tranny, I can get about 20 MPG on the Hwy. Show me a SSS that gets 20 MPG that's not running AmsOil ...

Plus, I noticed much smoother shifting once I had the ATF in.

:rollin:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm a little confused now... but I'd like to run synthetic oil. So here's what I'm thinking of running. Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30 and a AMSOIL oil filter... What do you guys think? :dunno:

:withstupid: This combo. is a waste of money.

The new AmsOil Ea filter will last as long as their oil change interval ... 25,000 miles. If you mix it with Mobil1, you'll need to change the filter @ 3000 mi. and throw away about $40 for the filter.

When you do the math, using AmsOil is a clear choice:

8 oil changes in 25,000 miles @ $20 a change is $160.

To run AmsOil, which is 1 change in 25,000 miles, you'll pay about $80. (And put the $80 you saved towards that N'Sync Collector's Edition CD Set you've always wanted ...)

Plus, you'll see gains in fuel economy. (Which, I know most of the guys on here aren't concerned about ...)

When I first got my SS I was lucky to 16 MPG on the Hwy. Now that I run AmsOil 0W-30 in the motor, the Ea Oil Filter, their Ea Air Filter, and the Severe Duty ATF in the Tranny, I can get about 20 MPG on the Hwy. Show me a SSS that gets 20 MPG that's not running AmsOil ...

Plus, I noticed much smoother shifting once I had the ATF in.

:rollin:

Thanks for the info... BTW how did you know I wanted that CD!? :dunno::jester:

ok another question.....is im going to do it myself, (oil change) how does the truck know the oil % life left, how does it reprogram..?

Just reset it like you would your trip meter, when your on the oil life display, hold down the little arrow thingy * technical term* until it resets.

• 2 weeks later...

Royal Purple is great stuff...i use it in my race car. i just did the first oil change in my SSS with valvoline durablend, always used this in my previous daily drivers and it was in my race car before i switched over to RP. oil in our ls motored trucks is not as important than other cars and trucks. unless you are pushing some serious HP any name brand oil will do fine.

ok another question.....is im going to do it myself, (oil change) how does the truck know the oil % life left, how does it reprogram..?

I think I remember how to do this.... I think you turn the key to the "on" position then "off". Push the gas pedal to the floor and release 3 times. Then turn the key to the "on" position again, and it should be reset. I think that's how you do it.. Can anyone confirm this? :dunno:

Key to "on." Then press pedal 3 times to floor within 5 seconds. Then turn key to off. When you turn key back to on, display says "oil life reset."

Just reset it like you would your trip meter, when your on the oil life display, hold down the little arrow thingy * technical term* until it resets.

I don't think this method will work.

The PCM keeps track of engine RPM's and oil temperature. Oil life is based on those two things. If the oil temp gets high (towing, etc) oil life shortens much faster.

By the way, I use Mobil 1 5W30 and AC Delco filters. I can't see spending the money on the Mobil 1 filters. They are not that much better than AC Delco (if they are better AT ALL!). I changed over to synthetic at 5K and plan to change the oil according to the oil life monitor. Since the monitor is calibrated for regular oil, the synthetic will get changed before it really needs to. I like it this way.

P.S. Wear long sleeves when you change your oil. I burned the crap out of my forearm on the catalytic converter over a week ago. All the skin came off and it is RAW. It still hurts. It looks gross too. Just be careful.

Mike

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

I think I remember how to do this.... I think you turn the key to the "on" position then "off". Push the gas pedal to the floor and release 3 times. Then turn the key to the "on" position again, and it should be reset. I think that's how you do it.. Can anyone confirm this? :dunno:

Key to "on." Then press pedal 3 times to floor within 5 seconds. Then turn key to off. When you turn key back to on, display says "oil life reset."

The PCM keeps track of engine RPM's and oil temperature. Oil life is based on those two things. If the oil temp gets high (towing, etc) oil life shortens much faster.

By the way, I use Mobil 1 5W30 and AC Delco filters. I can't see spending the money on the Mobil 1 filters. They are not that much better than AC Delco (if they are better AT ALL!). I changed over to synthetic at 5K and plan to change the oil according to the oil life monitor. Since the monitor is calibrated for regular oil, the synthetic will get changed before it really needs to. I like it this way.

P.S. Wear long sleeves when you change your oil. I burned the crap out of my forearm on the catalytic converter over a week ago. All the skin came off and it is RAW. It still hurts. It looks gross too. Just be careful.

Mike

Mike

Thats how I did mine :dunno: just put display on oil life % and hold the arrow.

BTW castrol syntec 5w50 :cheers:

Edited by WI_Dave (see edit history)

whata u guys running for oil when u hit ur next tune up and O-Change. lemme know..

I always want with Moble 1 and filter, My first oil change I let the dealer do it. The 2nd oil change I want with Royal Purple and a K & N filter.

How do you guys like Royal Purple for the tran.

Mike

Mike

Thats odd, I woulda have guessed that after holding the arrow down, and the oil metter flashes back to 100% then It was reset lol

• 2 weeks later...

Currently Im running Amsoil 10/30 with dont remember what filter........

Im loving the amsoil and my mileage did go up with it. I dont dare the 25000 miles due to dust and all the wot runs i make. I did send and oil sample away this last oil change at 6500 miles and am awaiting the tests. Ive got amsoil tranny fluid waiting to go in. I just wanted to see if this tranny would last more that 10,000 miles before i spent the money. Im on my 3rd in 46k :nonod:

Ive always been told horrible things about mobil 1. From labs, John Deere oil reps, Military tests.......all kinds of people. I dont know jack and maybe they dont either but Ive never been told a bad thing about amsoil.

Joe