K & N INTAKE

I was looking in the JEG'S performance magazine last night and see that the sell a K & N system for the Silverado. It is not just the filter but the routing neck, some clamps etc. Its sell for around $230.00 ish. Would this improve the gas milage ? It say in some circumstances some can get 26 more HP.

Can somebody please tell me if the set up is worth it, what would that do to the gas MPG and also is K & N the best or any other recomendations ?

Also looking for a pair of mud flaps that can be painted to match the truck with a flex agent of course. I'm in Connecticut and winter will be here soon.

Thanks for your help

From what I have read on here, the Volant system for the SS is superior to the K&N. Some have had quality/fitment issues with the K&N as well. I would go with the Volant.

As for mileage and horsepower, I think anything over 8-10hp and .5mpg would be an exaggeration.

I believe husky makes custom fit mudflaps for the SS, and GM has some as well. Some have had luck with the size 5 mudflaps sold at Pep Boys.

Hope this info helps.

I called k&n a couple of years ago i ask about the whole kit for my 98 z71 w/350. I also saw about the claim upto 26 hp gain. I think he said that was was for one of the Jeeps. Anyways the guy told me that on the 98 350 I could see a gain like (it has been a while might be a little high but the numbers were 4 apart) 12 over all and 16 hp peak

:chevy:

I spoke with one of k&n tech reps specifically for the SS application. They said that the exsisiting design for the silverado would work, but they are not marketing it because there is no appreciable (sp) gains as per there dyno testing for the SS. So no I would not go with K&N. Maybe its because they dont have a dyno for the AWD sys. wich will acomadate the wheel base.

I think the way to go is the volant or the true flow system. I talked to the true flow folks and there costomer service was great. infact they are sending me a free t-shirt for the call I made earlier this week. IMO the true flow looks better than the volant.

r/

VMAN :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

:chevy: Pleas note that K&N does NOT market a FIPK kIt for the LQ9 engine. We spoke to them at the SEMA show and they are still trying to figure out how to develope a tube that will fit up to the Throttle body with less bend (for cleaner air flow). They may have to include a template that will "mark" where to "trim" the fan shield.

Will keep you up todate on their progress..

And yes I work for Jeg's

• 2 weeks later...

it seems like no one can get their story straight. k & n told me (2 different reps) that the reason they weren't marketing it for the ss was because of CARB standards (california always has to be different ;) ). as for the fit. it fits just fine. the throttle body "fit" is no different from the 2002 i had with the FIPK. so if there's an airflow problem with the ss, then there's an airflow problem with all the vortecs. i'm just glad i already bought mine caused everyone's "facts" would just be confusing me. so unless, you have a 4 wheel dyno and a way to test airflow INSIDE the tube you really don't know now do you? i've seen the same improvement in my ss as i did in the 2002 (better throttle response and a little more get up and go) so those of you don't believe in k & n, your loss, unless of course you have another brand, but honestly i really don't think any brand is better than the other. it all comes down to personal preference. there. no y'all have my two cents from a 3 vehicle k & n owner

I will not buy a kit from K&N ever again. I think thier filters are fine but the rest is crap. I had two different kits on my 2000 Durango 5.9 and they both had the same problem. The abs would crack all the way around the metal ring that connected to the throttle body. It cost me a good bit in cleaning and there is no telling what would have happened to the engine if i had kept the vehicle. I am not saying that K&N Service isnt great because the first time it happened the rep that i called told me that there was a known problem with the resin that they used to connect the abs to the metal ring. He said we will make it right with you and sent me a complete new kit and 2 t shirts and a couple of hats. So i put the new kit on and drove it for a while until i noticed the same rough idle as before and popped the hood, ran my hand around the rim of the abs and three or four cracks that you could put a pencil through. Not the point mind you but the eraser end. Needless to say i will own no more K&N kits. I have a K&N drop filter in now but i would stay away from the complete kits. It may be different than on the Mopars but i wouldnt waste my money nor the clean air for my motor to take that chance. Thanks for listening to my rants. :jester::D:jester:

I will not buy a kit from K&N ever again. I think thier filters are fine but the rest is crap. I had two different kits on my 2000 Durango 5.9 and they both had the same problem. The abs would crack all the way around the metal ring that connected to the throttle body. It cost me a good bit in cleaning and there is no telling what would have happened to the engine if i had kept the vehicle. I am not saying that K&N Service isnt great because the first time it happened the rep that i called told me that there was a known problem with the resin that they used to connect the abs to the metal ring. He said we will make it right with you and sent me a complete new kit and 2 t shirts and a couple of hats. So i put the new kit on and drove it for a while until i noticed the same rough idle as before and popped the hood, ran my hand around the rim of the abs and three or four cracks that you could put a pencil through. Not the point mind you but the eraser end. Needless to say i will own no more K&N kits. I have a K&N drop filter in now but i would stay away from the complete kits. It may be different than on the Mopars but i wouldnt waste my money nor the clean air for my motor to take that chance. Thanks for listening to my rants. :jester::D:jester:

guess the sheep just got hungry :jester:

Archived