hypertech say's i can use 87 fuel and gain 28hp

2006_superado

first i'd like to say that i know everyone prefers the mail order or in person tune's but just keeping and open mind i called hypertech and questioned them about there 30032 tuner for SS silvy's and escalade's with the LQ9.

they said it has a duel tune wheter i want to run 87 or 91, and they said that it would increase 28hp on regular or 35hp on 91... so i said that my truck is designed to run on 91, and is he sure i would gain 28hp while using a lower grade gas and he said it was gaurenteed. i went to there website and found a dyno chart for 04-05 SS's and caddy's that confirmed what they say.. they also claim gains in mpg's like the other tuners do. also i called jesse at wait4me (i planned on getting a tune from him) and he said his tune would gain 20-25hp and thats on 91.

so my point is has anyone used the hypertech tuner and verified the results?..

a couple years ago i had a superchip on my 03 5.3 silvy and it's chart said i would gain 12hp on 87 and 18hp on 91 (i used 91) and it seemed like it made a heck of a difference all around (went from 15.980 to 15.490)

i think the handheld sounds like a good choice giving me the option of switching from stock to 87 to 91 whenever i want..

also considering i dont have $500 for a nelson tune, wait4me would mean a couple days of down time and not being able to switch back to stock (jesse don't have an 06 pcm to exchange me) and i could get the hypertech for $288 shipped on ebay

and if i ever decided to get a dyno tune i could sell the hypertech.

so let me know what you guys think?... :cheers:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they told you this...?

wow....so if i get a exhaust which they told me i would gain 20 hp....and intake that gives me 28 hp (vara ram) and then the tune with 35 on 91? Plus I get 93 octane here so maybe 40hp...so that puts me at 88 hp!!!! :crazy: DAMN PLUS I would save a bunch of money on my car insurance.

Not to belittle you, but those are not independent DYNO graphs. The hypertech removes rev limiter and a few things but they are not completly desgined around the truck. more of a general thing. My friend had a hypertech for his s10 extreme and then switched to the pcmforless and it was a world of difference. I would look for more indedpendt answers I know some guys on here who have had both and they wish they never wouldve "wasted" thier money. All Im saying is thats what "they" tiold you and they are the ones trying to sell you the product

PLEASE ! Just get a real tune somewhere, not a handheld. The hand units have come a long way, but not what some one like Jessie can give you.

Not sure you can sell the Hypertech or if it would work after it has been "married" to your truck, others may know.

CD

Edited by cadowns (see edit history)

PLEASE ! Just get a real tune somewhere, not a handheld. The hand units have come a long way, but not what some one like Jessie can give you.

Not sure you can sell the Hypertech or if it would work after it has been "married" to your truck, others may know.

CD

with the handheld all you have to do is return your stock program to your pcm and then it can be used on another truck, it only works on one at a time.

I had the Hypertech in my 04 SSS before I got my Zippy tune. I can honestly say there is no comparison between the two. The only real difference I found in going from stock to the Hypertech was the shift firmness. As far as going from the Hypertech to the Zippy tune it was a night and day difference. With the Zippt tune the mid range power is MUCH stronger and the Transmission really shifts like it means business. Dont waste your money on the Hypertech find a local salvage yard buy another PCM and send it out for a tune , that way your truck is not down and you can put it back to stock if you need to. That is what i did and it has worked out very well. :cool:

they told you this...?

wow....so if i get a exhaust which they told me i would gain 20 hp....and intake that gives me 28 hp (vara ram) and then the tune with 35 on 91? Plus I get 93 octane here so maybe 40hp...so that puts me at 88 hp!!!!  :crazy:  DAMN PLUS I would save a bunch of money on my car insurance.

Not to belittle you, but those are not independent DYNO graphs. The hypertech removes rev limiter and a few things but they are not completly desgined around the truck. more of a general thing. My friend had a hypertech for his s10 extreme and then switched to the pcmforless and it was a world of difference. I would look for more indedpendt answers I know some guys on here who have had both and they wish they never wouldve "wasted" thier money. All Im saying is thats what "they" tiold you and they are the ones trying to sell you the product

like i said i'm just keeping an open mind, i was'nt stating it as fact, that's why i asked.. you know what they say "there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers" i realize there opinion is biased, but thats not to say that there product don't do anything. if i can gain 20hp with the 91 tune and be able to raise my rev limiter, raise the governer, change the shift points and firmness to my specs, lower the cooling fan settings to work with the 160 t-stat, and adjust my speedometer for tire changes, all for $288 and when i want to still be able to sell it for $150 (which would pay for a wait4me tuned pcm once he has them in stock) in a years time.. to me it don't seem like it's is bad as everyone here has made them out to be.. the guys on performacetrucks.net don't seem so against them although they agree the personalized tunes are better :dunno:

i figured i would get these types of responses, i was just hoping someone had some real figures on hp or e.t. gains..

but thanks anyway :cheers:

I had the Hypertech in my 04 SSS before I got my Zippy tune. I can honestly say there is no comparison between the two. The only real difference I found in going from stock to the Hypertech was the shift firmness. As far as going from the Hypertech to the Zippy tune it was a night and day difference. With the Zippt tune the mid range power is MUCH stronger and the Transmission really shifts like it means business. Dont waste your money on the Hypertech find a local salvage yard  buy another PCM and send it out for a tune , that way your truck is not down and you can put it back to stock if you need to. That is what i did and it has worked out very well. :cool:

thanks for the reply i was looking for someone who had actual experiance with one.. only problem is i called all the local yards and no one has a pcm for a 06?.. otherwise my choice would be simple. and being able to go back to stock is an issue for me.

if you don't mind, what did you pay for yours and what did you sell it for?... i can get one on ebay for $288 new and i've seen them sell recently for $140 to $175 used.

I can give you some real world #'s. I started w/ the Superchip handheld set to performance w/ firm shift points and a cold air intake. My best time in the 1/4 mile was 15.4 in Oct. '05. So in May '06 I went to the track again, now w/ PCM4Less 93 octane tune, catback exhaust (flowmaster 2 in/2 out exit before wheel) and Soft tonneau cover and my best time was and still is 14.63. I say most of that comes from the tune. I hope this helps you. If I had known about this site before Buying the handheld I would have $400.00 more today.

I can give you some real world #'s.  I started w/ the Superchip handheld set to performance w/ firm shift points and a cold air intake.  My best time in the 1/4 mile was 15.4 in Oct. '05.  So in May '06 I went to the track again, now w/ PCM4Less 93 octane tune, catback exhaust (flowmaster 2 in/2 out exit before wheel) and Soft tonneau cover and my best time was and still is 14.63.  I say most of that comes from the tune.  I hope this helps you.  If I had known about this site before Buying the handheld I would have $400.00 more today.

thanks for the real world #'s but 15.4 seems a tad slow even for even a stock SSS :confused: was it first time at the track or a hot day?.. (you did say oct in maine?) whats the tracks elevation above sea level?.. most guys were running 14.9-15.2 i ran 15.6 at 3000ft elevation on a hot day in july/aug?? corrected that came out to a 15.1 (and my truck only had like 800 miles on it) just curious cause if your at sea level on a decent day in october in maine you should have run no worst then a 15 and if thats the case (again just assuming for now) then the hypertech lost 4 tenths :confused:

also i can get one for under $300 and if i don't like it sell it for $150 so most i would lose is $150 i would like to take it to the track make a couple pass's and then tune it and see what happens just for kicks :chevy:

i think i just might :crazy:

i say go for it. its your money. i was looking into a handheld but then saw alot about mail order tunes. so thats what im going with. i do like the idea of going back to stock when ever you want. so i might go to a junkyard an dpick up another pcm...dont know yet! well good luck with your decision.

I can give you some real world #'s.  I started w/ the Superchip handheld set to performance w/ firm shift points and a cold air intake.  My best time in the 1/4 mile was 15.4 in Oct. '05.  So in May '06 I went to the track again, now w/ PCM4Less 93 octane tune, catback exhaust (flowmaster 2 in/2 out exit before wheel) and Soft tonneau cover and my best time was and still is 14.63.  I say most of that comes from the tune.  I hope this helps you.  If I had known about this site before Buying the handheld I would have $400.00 more today.

thanks for the real world #'s but 15.4 seems a tad slow even for even a stock SSS :confused: was it first time at the track or a hot day?.. (you did say oct in maine?) whats the tracks elevation above sea level?.. most guys were running 14.9-15.2 i ran 15.6 at 3000ft elevation on a hot day in july/aug?? corrected that came out to a 15.1 (and my truck only had like 800 miles on it) just curious cause if your at sea level on a decent day in october in maine you should have run no worst then a 15 and if thats the case (again just assuming for now) then the hypertech lost 4 tenths :confused:

also i can get one for under $300 and if i don't like it sell it for $150 so most i would lose is $150 i would like to take it to the track make a couple pass's and then tune it and see what happens just for kicks :chevy:

i think i just might :crazy:

!5.4 w/ the handheld tune is not great #'s but remember stock #'s in the magazines are around 16. So knocking .8 off the 1/4 w/ a mail order tune is pretty good. Both times at the track weather was about the same somewhere in the 40's. Elevation must be around 500 feet or so. It also has a lot to do w/ air density. Racing a AWD auto is not hard, mash it and go. Every truck is different in what it can and will do. There are some guys here w/ same mods running low 14's and I am like WTF. You may buy a handheld and gain nothing in the 1/4 or you may gain .5 :dunno: Good luck either way. I was just showing you that I gain a lot more w/ a mail tune.

It sounds to me you have already made up your mind. You have to do whats right for you.

:withstupid: Think of the big picture(performance wise). I wasted my money on a super chips that did very little for me. My zippy and pcmforless tunes were a lot better. It's all about what your plans are for your truck. If you're concerned about going back to stock, then purchase the tunning software and pay someone like zippy to tune for you. He'll give you free updates when you add something if you tune this way plus can ready your logs if you have any problems. Plus if you decide to add FI down the road you'll need the tunning software IMO. :thumbs: