drako

Hey everyone saw the trailer for this movie when I went to go watch Saw III (gory as hell). Anyways I thought it looks really good, done by frank miller (sin city) and it based on the battle of Thermopylae. (Non history buffs, its when 300 spartans fought off over a thousand men (some people put it at 10's,20's, etc thousands) in a small gorge.

anyways check it out

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/trailer1/large.html

• 3 months later...

The athenians/greeks are also in the movie. The movie focuses on the Spartans.

The movie is also based on Frank Millers depiction of the battle of thermopyle

A bit fictional, but Gladiator also expanded on some things as well. If you liked Gladiator you are going to like the movie

Either way, 1,400 soldiers holding off an army of 200,000 and killing 20,000 before perishing? Very impressive...somewhat like an ancient Alamo. Interestingly enough, Xerxes and his army were eventually defeated and so was his Navy. Holding off the persians gave the greeks enough time to prepare defenses and focus on the navy battle. Good stuff. Kill ratio of 14.3:1.

More significance, if Xeres would have won we would not have had Ideas like Democracy, Philosophy, free will etc that came from early Greece.

The actual real number is not known, from 200,000 up to over a million.

The significance of the Spartans were not the individual ability, but thier power together. Each "team" lived and fought together for many years. Anyways, the movie is great

I'm definately going to see it.Gerard Butler got ripped as hell for this role,its good to see these actors getting into shape for roles like this instead of having a big spare tire and trying to pass themselves of as kings and heros etc.I forgot the movie Collin Farrel did recently but he had to learn to use swords/sword fighting and even used the regimn as the original army did,in other words he tried to be his character as his chacter lived in his own time. :thumbs:

If all goes as planned, I should be seeing the movie this Friday in IMAX :)

Looks like a cool movie ... I will mostlikely wait to see it at home on the big screen, with the 7.1 Surround Sound. That way I can drink beer and make some good snacks for the show.

IMAX ... That would be Awesome to see it in.

Hmmmm.... San Jose IMAX, isn't that at the Museum of Science??? I've been to that one ... A long time ago.