thinking about a vortec max

Bonj87

Vhos are awesome. Id say depending on options, the 07's only have the classic style i believe and should range from 32,000 - 36,000. I have a vho identical to jonmalibuss's but its white. Same drop, and same look and all and im selling it so if your interested here it is...

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26295

Edited by disguisedSS (see edit history)

SS has a part time transfer case with autotrac?

SS has a 9.5" inch 14bolt rear with 4.10's?

SS has the TBSS tranny? (4L70E)

SS has the 8.25" front diff?

To me, if you are into modding, the vortec max is a better platform to start from ... I will get heat for it, but it is my opinion ...

Yep, same thing ... :)

yeah, but i dont wan to pay 40 grand lol

Sounds pricey..then of course you need to add the cost of mods.. and 60g's later you got a pretty sweet truck, lol.

Yea there ya go its only money you can't take it with ya.

SS has a part time transfer case with autotrac? The ss only had this in 03-05

SS has a 9.5" inch 14bolt rear with 4.10's? The SS has 4.10's but has a 10 bolt with an 8.5 or similar

SS has the TBSS tranny? (4L70E) only in 06 and 07

SS has the 8.25" front diff? again only awd in 03-05

To me, if you are into modding, the vortec max is a better platform to start from ... I will get heat for it, but it is my opinion ...

imo the ss is more unique because so little were produced, the vho looks the same as every other silverado . if you want to trade it though , there is nothign like a new truck with warranty. thats about the only reasons i could see trading.

SS has a 9.5" inch 14bolt rear with 4.10's? The SS has 4.10's but has a 10 bolt with an 8.5 or similar

imo the ss is more unique because so little were produced, the vho looks the same as every other silverado . if you want to trade it though , there is nothign like a new truck with warranty. thats about the only reasons i could see trading.

Just to clarify there is substantial differences in the VHO (04,05) and the VortecMAX in 06 and classic 07 ... People seem to lump them together and package in the VortecMAX performance pack is substantially different ...

Wasn't the SS in these years full time AWD? with no provision to switch to 2wd or 4LO? ... That's the difference I mentioned ...

I thought the SS has always had a FULL TIME AWD up until this year (06) which is 2wd ...

I didn't know 4.10's were available in the AWD pre-06 SS ... The 8.5 (or actually 8.625) rear is inferior to the 9.5 in the Vmax ... aside from the rear drums which pre-05 the ss has disc right?

He said VortecMAX not VHO, which means 06/07 by default ... all Vortec MAX's have the 4L70E ... A warmed over 4L65E with shot peened parts, a shot peened/upgraded reaction assembly, and a revised friction material said to reach 200K miles ... The 70E also has revised max RPM limits due to being used behind the LS2, it is able to spin to 6400 in all gears other than OD of course ...

IMO, the part time 2 speed Tcase is available (4HI, 4LO and autotrac) as is 2wd in the VMax, you get the 70E by default which to upgrade the hard parts in the 65E will cost you some coin, nice to have it stock, the other basics will be needed though for HP above 450RWHP as in the mods you are all doing to the 65E's ... You get the heavy 9.5 14 bolt rear which in this also has the G80 sized-up ...

It comes down to if you want the SS fascia and design and sacrifice a bit of driveline robustness ... Plain Jane VortecMAX with a stronger powertrain or an SS with all the design and SS look ...

In the end, it comes down completely to how far you are going to mod and what ... If I had several thousand modding dollars, I would take the SS because you can strengthen the driveline to near the vmax (if you want to go into replacing the rear diff which I don't think many do) The 65E can be built to 70E specs easily for maybe $1000 to 1200 labor included, and then it comes down to 4wd ... you get a 3 position tcase in the max ... you get either awd or 2wd in the SS ...

To me, it was a downgrade in looks to get the Vmax, but the powertrain parts I was getting stock was a plus, because my modding money is on a budget ...

to each their own :thumbs:

imo the ss is more unique because so little were produced, the vho looks the same as every other silverado .

:withstupid:

Here's the owner of Phoenix Transmission on another site talking up the 4L70E ... At least in the SSR/LS2

I agree with GM's decision to use Torque Management on these vehicles because the power and weight of these vehicles combined with an abusive driver could present some liability for them. My point was that I have personally seen some of my customers with thousands of pretty hard street miles put on the 4L70E with no adverse effect and these vehicles were driven much harder than most of us will drive. I will offer this to anyone on the forum, if you are the first one to break your SSR 4L70E in a non supercharged application in less than 75,000 miles ship it to me and I will rebuild it for you for free. Now don't all go out and start beating the hell out of them just to be first in line, I will do the second one for half price. I really feel that confident about the ability of the 4L70E to do the job.