thinking about a vortec max

Bonj87

SS has a part time transfer case with autotrac? The ss only had this in 03-05

SS has a 9.5" inch 14bolt rear with 4.10's? The SS has 4.10's but has a 10 bolt with an 8.5 or similar

SS has the TBSS tranny? (4L70E) only in 06 and 07

SS has the 8.25" front diff? again only awd in 03-05

To me, if you are into modding, the vortec max is a better platform to start from ... I will get heat for it, but it is my opinion ...

Yep, same thing ... :)

imo the ss is more unique because so little were produced, the vho looks the same as every other silverado .

:withstupid:

Thats the exact reason I like the VHO so much because no one knows or expects anything from it, plus your kinda limited as to what you can do with the SS as far as looks go since you can't really do much about the body cladding.

11H, the AWD SS's had the 4.10 gears. When they changed over to 2WD, they had 3.73's, but also less weight. The 0-60 times between the two are pretty close.

I chose the VMAX over the SS because I needed to tow, wanted 4WD in the winter, and actually take my truck off road when fishing and camping. The SS's are very good looking, but the VMAX was almost custom built for my needs. IMO my VMAX is the best truck Chevy has ever built. I would pick the same parts if I were building a truck from scratch.

I did order the SS grille, mirror covers and door handles because I love the monochrome look of the SS.

Mike

It's kinda funny ... I have several friends at my local dealership and I was actually in the market for a Duramax Diesel when I bought my truck ... I was told many LLY Duramax's are having overheating problems and GM had been dragging their feet on the fix ... Turned out their idea of a TSB/Fix was to fit a 2006 LBZ intake to try to cool the intake charge more to lessen overheating ... 3 techs and the mgr told me that if it was between a gas truck and a $46K duramax, not to spend my money on the diesel unless I HAD TO HAVE the towing capacity ... Since the LLY introduced in 2004.5 they said the duramax has become much less reliable due to the ULSD pinch they saw coming ... I have heard the VVT (variable vane turbos) might be the variable as to why some overheat and some don't ...

So, I tow maybe 5000 to 6000# and I pull quads so I needed the 4wd and clearance also ... For $34K (sticker) at 0% I wend with the VMax ...

I think it is unique enough and has the "goodies" you can't get in a 5.3 1500 ... so much as it might be easier to sell later on ...

I guess I would love a duramax, but I would have a real hard time if I had issues with such an expensive truck ... Hell, here in AZ, they won't even look at you if you have a duramax with oversize tires and a small lift ... they are getting pretty picky on diesels because warranty claims are so costly ...

I think the gassers are more user friendly and cheaper to maintain too ...

It's kinda funny ... I have several friends at my local dealership and I was actually in the market for a Duramax Diesel when I bought my truck ...

I too was thinking Duramax. I did some math (actually I gave my students the math problem also) and found that a diesel would have to get 48 MPG to pay for the extra 8,000 dollars the diesel option costs spread out over 100,000 miles.

For $34K (sticker) at 0% I wend with the VMax ...

Good buy. I paid less, but I did not get the 0%. That would have been nice. I got 4.9%, put a bunch down and have payments of 350/month.

I think the gassers are more user friendly and cheaper to maintain too ...

I agree. The gas engine seemed more economical, even though the mileage is less than diesels can achieve. A 10,000 lb towing capacity is about 50% more than I need, which is perfect. My truck has no problems towing my 6,500 lb camp trailer. I have heard some stories about how expensive maintenance is for diesels. Engines and replacement parts are much more expensive also. Heck, I can buy a brand new LQ9 complete with intake, injectors, oil pan, spark plugs, and flex plate for 4K.

Besides, I love the sound of a Chevy small block. It is music to my ears. When I hear a souped up diesel, I can't help but wonder if they are here to empty the dumpster. The sound of a garbage truck just does not sound as good to me as a Chevy V8. I always loved muscle cars as a kid, and this truck is probably as close to one as I will ever get.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

im thinking of checking out trading in my SS on a vortec max.

according to the online builder, what id want in a truck would cost me 40 grand.wow

how close is that online builder to real world costs?

My truck MSRP was 42,000 I got it for 31,000. With 0% :D

Edited by nxtnlne (see edit history)

im thinking of checking out trading in my SS on a vortec max.

according to the online builder, what id want in a truck would cost me 40 grand.wow

how close is that online builder to real world costs?

I looked at the SS (very nice) and yes more $$$, I also knew I was going to mod it. I seen this VHO on the lot new, $28 out the door and the mods I wanted to do work out well for me.

Good luck