synthetic blood transfusion

I have been putting Mobile 1 in the engine since the first oil change. I am about to put it in the rest of the truck. Does anyone know about any problems with the Mobile 1 ATF in the transfer case and transmissition, and the Mobile 1 diff oil in the diffs?

My uncle works for Mobile, and said that is what it was made for! ( I agree, just thought that someone might have a different opinion)

I do not plan on flushing the trans at this time. just draining the pan, and putting new oil in. If I do that enough, I will save the torment of putting my baby in someone elses hands.

My SS has 8500 miles on it in the last 6 months

Chad

I emailed AMSOIL for a transfer case product. They wrote back that they did not have a product cause the fluid in the transfer case used a GM specific fluid that was silicon based. From what I understand the silicon based fluid reacts to heat generated by the viscous coupling, aiding in the lock up effect when there is a rotational difference between the front and rear wheels. :D

I emailed AMSOIL for a transfer case product. They wrote back that they did not have a product cause the fluid in the transfer case used a GM specific fluid that was silicon based. From what I understand the silicon based fluid reacts to heat generated by the viscous coupling, aiding in the lock up effect when there is a rotational difference between the front and rear wheels. :D

They offered nothing compatible?

Manual says Dexron III for AWD transfer case, why not substitute the synthetic equivelent from Amsoil, Mobile I, etc?

Manual says 80w-90 in front axle and 75w-90 in rear axle and that both are synthetic already. Is this a special GM recipe that should not be substituted? Anyone change theirs already?

I ran Mobil 1 ATF in my '02 auto-trac transfer case. No problems to report - but I only drove it a short time before trading it in. :uhoh: I figured the recommendation for '02 GM auto-track fluid' was because of it's green color... To seperate it from the red tranny fluid in case of a leak.

My old '00 S10 Blazer, w/auto-trac ran red fluid. The manual said to run ATF in it. I did.

I am almost ready to change out my oil and tranny fluid for Mobil 1 synthetic. Still using dino oil for the first change.

I have a question about the differential fluid change. I'm wondering about the "friction additive" that I have seen mentioned in other forums (like ls1tech). I get the impression that this additive reduces the friction so the clutch plates in the diff will slip a bit more and reduce chattering moises.

Is this correct? :confused:

Do I need to use an additive if I switch to Mobil 1 synthetic diff fluid?

Thanks...

Nope! No need for an additive... At least I'm 99% sure on that.

We have a mechanical 'locker' style limited slip. Not the good old clutch-pack type.

That is unless GM dropped the Eaton Mecanical Locker / Code G80, and is using something else for us?

Archived