sway bars?

WANNARACEMYSS

Sport Sway Bars

Item#: 2230

1999-2004 GM Silverado/Sierra

truck_swlg.jpg

Improve cornering by reducing body roll with a set of Hotchkis Performance Sway Bars. Hotchkis bars feature lightweight hollow construction and include greasable polyurethane bushings, end links, and brackets. Hotchkis bars are powder coated for durability, and tested and tuned to ensure the best performance possible. 1 7/16" Hollow Front,1" Hollow Rear 4wd Stock Height, Also Fits Silverado SS

Edited by AUTOGUY (see edit history)

Right on guys for the info. I will look into those other brands. 1 7/16" sounds right. I don't know what I was thinking with 1 7/8" :dupe:

Hallow sway bars *shakes head* Do you really need to cut your weight saving that much? lol. I was under the impression that you wanted to limit sway bar flex, hollow bars despite the hype will flew more than a soild bar. I've have always liked Hellwig, very soild product, and they dont have you mounting things all funny and drilling trough your floor like Hotchkis will somtimes.I dont know what HEllwig has for our trucks though, But I'll tell ya there set up on my 72 camaro is smokin! Rememeber, with Hotchkis your paying for the name

Our take on the Hollow vs. Solid discussion

Hollow vs. solid

Based on SAE roll stiffness calculations, a hollow sway bar is approximately 10% “softer” than a solid sway bar of comparable diameter and geometry due to increased bending in the arms which lowers its rate. The hollow sway bar can be made in a larger diameter to compensate for the bending in the arms and has a definite weight advantage over the solid bar. However, the solid bar has an advantage in that it can be heat treated while the hollow sway bar cannot.

Why Heat treated material?

The tensile strength and fatigue strength of heat treated 4140 Chrome Moly Steel is 72% stronger than a cold drawn 1045 steel. (see below) This is important because aftermarket sway bars are significantly larger than a stock bar but have to fit in the same package constraints as the stock bar resulting in higher stresses. Using a high quality material allows the sway bar to be worked at its limits without durability concerns. Frederico manufactures sway bars for off road applications (such as the U.S. Border Patrol) where the customer fatigues and breaks a non-heat treated sway bar. Using heat treated steel eliminates the breakage issue because of its higher fatigue strength. Anywhere the limits of the suspension are repeatedly tested (such as in autocross, racing, off-road, and on-road performance pickups, lifted, and lowered applications) requires the use of a high quality material to avoid fatigue failure.

Hollow vs. solid

Based on SAE roll stiffness calculations, a hollow sway bar is approximately 10% “softer” than a solid sway bar of comparable diameter and geometry due to increased bending in the arms which lowers its rate. The hollow sway bar can be made in a larger diameter to compensate for the bending in the arms and has a definite weight advantage over the solid bar. However, the solid bar has an advantage in that it can be heat treated while the hollow sway bar cannot.

Why Heat treated material?

The tensile strength and fatigue strength of heat treated 4140 Chrome Moly Steel is 72% stronger than a cold drawn 1045 steel. (see below) This is important because aftermarket sway bars are significantly larger than a stock bar but have to fit in the same package constraints as the stock bar resulting in higher stresses. Using a high quality material allows the sway bar to be worked at its limits without durability concerns. Frederico manufactures sway bars for off road applications (such as the U.S. Border Patrol) where the customer fatigues and breaks a non-heat treated sway bar. Using heat treated steel eliminates the breakage issue because of its higher fatigue strength. Anywhere the limits of the suspension are repeatedly tested (such as in autocross, racing, off-road, and on-road performance pickups, lifted, and lowered applications) requires the use of a high quality material to avoid fatigue failure.

Where did you get that from? Who is "our take?"

Where did you get that from? Who is "our take?"

Didnt you know? With all of the mods....his truck came to life. Hes like knight rider now cept without the big hair and he hunts down tree huggers and goes against corporate america...

its the feel good show of the season.

I ordered the Frederico kit last week.......... :thumbs: 

P.S. And I already have a tracking number......... :thumbs:

if you dont mind, what did you pay?

$499.00 shipped

Let us know how they work out. This is def a mod I want to do next year. :thumbs: