Radix pulley upgrade - help

escoboy

Just purchased a 3.10 pulley as an upgrade from my 3.30 pulley on a Radix SC on 6.0L.

Nut on pulley doesn't want to break loose. I am just grasping the pulley and turning the nut with pretty decent pressure.

Don't wanna break anything!, what's the best way to remove the pulley?

SV

Just purchased a 3.10 pulley as an upgrade from my 3.30 pulley on a Radix SC on 6.0L.

Nut on pulley doesn't want to break loose. I am just grasping the pulley and turning the nut with pretty decent pressure.

Don't wanna break anything!, what's the best way to remove the pulley?

SV

Ever get the thing off? How's it run? Noticeable?

Yep, the SOB was on tight.

I just used my old stock belt, wrapped it around the pulley then twisted it like a clamp & wrapped around a bracket to hold the pulley so I could use a ratchet.

Allen at Nelson Perf. told me (next time, lol) use an air ratchet on the lowest setting.

Anyway, I have no boost gauge (yet) so I have no way to tell the exact difference in psi, but it definately pulls harder from top to bottom.

Well worth the money, but perhaps the 3.0 is the way to go vs 3.1,

I'll install a gauge soon & see where I'm at, 7 is where I really wanna be.

If I'm below 7 with the 3.1 maybe the 3.0.

I'd really recommend the upgrade to anyone.

SV

Also, taking the pulley off (once nut is removed) is done by hand, no puller needed.

But the new pulley was a real tight fit so be careful. It would not go on by hand.

I had to tap it onto the shaft very gently

I put a large socket over nut hole, lined the pulley up with the key, and tapped on gently with small hammer). Make sure the key is lined before you tap it on otherwise you may need a puller to remove it since it fits so tight.

Once it was on far enough to thread I put the nut on & drew it snug with ratchet.

Just be careful because it really is a super tight tolerance & you don't want to stress the shaft, bearings, etc.

SV

By the way guys, I'm running a 03 Escalade, heavier & 3.73 gears doesn't help either. But still runs strong. I have a Corsa Cat back Touring setup on it so it sounds real sweet.

I also run dual alternators to power a hellacious dvd-stereo setup (4000 watts) which drags me down a little too. Weight of the 6 - 12" Subs in the box is about 250 lbs too.

It was fun trying to get a belt to work with duals & a SC (longest belt made by Gates)

I love running against sport sedans & other SUV's I dusted a BMW 3 series, (not M3 but still the guy was bummed. So much for their sport sedan theory.

I thought it was cool when I ran him I had "Fast & the Furious" on the DVD, he could see it real well on my 11" rear screen as I pulled away from him!

He probably thought I was one of the brothers too, so it really pissed him off!

Hope you guys don't mind a Escalade on the SS site, but my drive train & motor are identical, and this board is by far the best for mods on mine (& yours). It's really a great site with great guys.

Just took off my 3 piece 22's (not ghetto rims, their sweet!) & put stock rubber back on in Michigan here it's cold!

Hope you guys don't mind a Escalade on the SS site, but my drive train & motor are identical, and this board is by far the best for mods on mine (& yours). It's really a great site with great guys.

The more the merrier! Especially when you're sharing good info like this... :)

Thanks for directing me here too Dave!

Also talked with Allen from Nelson Perf. today. Graet guy. He's gonna do a custom tune for me that will remove almost all the TQ mgmt but leave a little for tranny shifts.

With a vette servo & his tune it will be quick shift but not super firm espedcially 1-2.

I want the most power but just enough protection for the tranny to last....... a fine line to walk.

He said the timing, a/f mixture and shift points (rpm) will all be addressed.

TQ mgmt limits WOT launches and power at shifts so should make a big change. Really wanna raise the 2-3 down & upshift for 70 mph downshifts to 2nd, won't do it right now, annoys the heck out me! :fume:

So I'll keep posting as it progresses. :thumbs:

Thanks for directing me here too Dave!

Also talked with Allen from Nelson Perf. today. Graet guy. He's gonna do a custom tune for me that will remove almost all the TQ mgmt but leave a little for tranny shifts.

With a vette servo & his tune it will be quick shift but not super firm espedcially 1-2.

I want the most power but just enough protection for the tranny to last....... a fine line to walk.

He said the timing, a/f mixture and shift points (rpm) will all be addressed.

TQ mgmt limits WOT launches and power at shifts so should make a big change. Really wanna raise the 2-3 down & upshift for 70 mph downshifts to 2nd, won't do it right now, annoys the heck out me! :fume:

So I'll keep posting as it progresses. :thumbs:

Hey Nice talking to you, your ride sounds pretty cool from what you told me over the phone.

If you can get any performance numbers that would be great, we can compare before and after the tune, I'm sure a lot of ppl would like to know.

BTW, next week I'm tuning that SS with the radix, we've already taken it out to the track several times so we'll have a good comparison.

Now, I just need to talk him into removing that 1/2 inch aluminum plate and 500lb toolbox lol.

later,

allen

Archived