Diablo Predator

smithl3

I wrote diablo to see if they had a product coming out specific to the SSS and they wrote this back:

We are not coming out with a specific ss tuner but I can always make you

a custom tune via e-mail once you get the predator that will make the

tune somewhat more aggressive for the ss.

Smith, Lucas B [AMSTA-AR-CCB-D] wrote:

>Hello Diablo,

> I am a current chevy silverado SS owner, and I am very interested in

>your product. I have heard that you are possibly coming out with a specific

>hand held microtuner for the SS?? If this is true I was planning on waiting

>until that product came out. Otherwise, I was planning on getting a 6.0L

>application so I can get moving on moding my truck. Any help would be

>greatly appreciated.

>

>Thanks,

> Lucas Smith

I think I am just going to get the predator sport, I have heard only two bad stories and a lot more good about this product. Lori at bay area is also a good person to contact for anything like this. Figured I would let you guys know what I heard from them :seeya:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, they can send you a custom tune via email? I assume then, that the Diablo has a cable port to hook up to a computer? Didn't know that.

So what do you use as the vehicle to push it from the emailed file into your tuner? Does it come with some form of software, as well? Or, do they also send that with the file? If it does all of that, sounds like a pretty vesatile tuner for a handheld.

I believe they send you the software with the custom tune. Most problems I have heard of with the Predator come from trying custom tunes. Seems like everyone that uses it has no problems until they try a custom tune. I am going to try the Predator. Smithl3 told me about a killer deal on it from Bay Area Performance so I going to order one. I had a Superchips and it was a definite improvement, shifts increased to 6000rpm and they were noticeably quicker and somewhat firmer. It also gave me a gain of .3 sec in 0-60 tests. SO I was happy with it. But the Predator has many more options plus it has a real time data mode so you can drive around and see if you're knocking and things of that nature. It also has a timing advance and air/fuel adjust option. Of course if I have a problem with the Predator I will regret my decision, I was happy with what the Superchips did but want a little more.

So, they can send you a custom tune via email? I assume then, that the Diablo has a cable port to hook up to a computer? Didn't know that.

So what do you use as the vehicle to push it from the emailed file into your tuner? Does it come with some form of software, as well? Or, do they also send that with the file? If it does all of that, sounds like a pretty vesatile tuner for a handheld.

The predator plugs into your serial port on the back of your computer. I'm going to try that custom tune later today. Basically its downloading the tune from the truck and saving that to the Predator and then uploading that software to the computer (software they sent to be installed) generating a file to be shipped/emailed. With that information they said they would be able to make the custom tune for the SS. Because they are east coast, Im hoping to get the tune back tomorrow sometime as I wont be able to try this tune til about late this evening.

I believe they send you the software with the custom tune. Most problems I have heard of with the Predator come from trying custom tunes. Seems like everyone that uses it has no problems until they try a custom tune. I am going to try the Predator. Smithl3 told me about a killer deal on it from Bay Area Performance so I going to order one. I had a Superchips and it was a definite improvement, shifts increased to 6000rpm and they were noticeably quicker and somewhat firmer. It also gave me a gain of .3 sec in 0-60 tests. SO I was happy with it. But the Predator has many more options plus it has a real time data mode so you can drive around and see if you're knocking and things of that nature. It also has a timing advance and air/fuel adjust option. Of course if I have a problem with the Predator I will regret my decision, I was happy with what the Superchips did but want a little more.

what price is he going to offer you and does it include a thermostate

i was talking to a guy named johan, who is the guy that designs the custom tunes for the predators, he said that he could even do a tune for a blower and other mods. So what i was thinking is ordering a blower without the superchips and save 250.00, which is how much they take off for not including it and get a custom tune for free and fine tune it myself with the advanced predator functions like the air/fuel and timing.

Let me know what you guys think

Lori is suppost to get back to me with better figures on the phone but she was saying a little over three hundred. And no it doesn't come with a thermostat. Either way, going through her is gonna save you like a hundred bucks.

I am gonna go through with it too.

She also said that if you do decide to get a custom tune that for $125 you can get a custom tune e-mailed to you.

HaynSS should know how much the custom tune was.

Smithl3,

Just talked to Lori and ordered my Predator. She told me the custom tunes were $125 as well. I'm pretty sure that you can get them for free by talking to Johan at Diablo or James at runningwiththedevil.com. Read lots of posts about people getting custom tunes and nowhere was it mentioned that it cost them anything. Unless they have been doing so many that they decided to charge. The cost of the Predator was $325 plus shipping which is $94 cheaper then the next closest price I've seen. You do have to mention you are a member of SilveradoSS.com. Like they say, "Membership as it's privileges".

good price on that predator...i got a new one off ebay for about $300 but I think I got lucky.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the unit I took my program off the truck for a few days while I messed around with a header install and a few other things. Put the predator tune back on today and the truck drives so much nicer. The other feature that comes in real handy is the ability to read and reset codes.

I purchased my Superchip from Lori at a very good price of $275(I am happy with the tuning except for the annoying 5 second delay of allowing the engine to release the throttle)which is is the reason I decided not to get the Predator.Also the fact that the Predator did kill one of our trucks did bother me.It sounds like that if the Predator can send a tuning program update to owners through the internet and you can get it for $300 I would try the Predator. :jester:

Awsome news HaynSS,

Keep us posted on how it turns out. Lori is suppost to get back to me with some more info today. If I get anything I will let you all know.

Shaweet

Ok, I only have the male serial and the predator requires the female. I

purchased a female serial to a USB but that also didn't work. It wanted the driver for the predator, which i couldnt find on the web either. So basically im going to send it back to them and let them do their thing. I am also speaking with Johan as I worked with him before when it took my truck out the first time. Kinda sucks cause now im going to have to wait like a month to get the damn thing back, however as a positive, almost like a xmas present :jester:

A little off the subject, Indianarandy, is that your stock exhaust?? If so does it really spit out the left rear? Sweet!

I went to a muffler shop and had them make custom 3.0 tailpipes to connect between the Flowmaster dual in dual out and the Magnaflow tips they had in stock. The sound although a bit loud inside sometimes is that of a true dual system, it is my favorite upgrade so far.By the way how do you like your Predator tune? I noticed much better feeling shifting with the pressure set to the max with my Superchip, but it has a very anoying 5 second delay at highway speeds releasing the throttle. I have e-mailed Superchip without a reply yet about the problem.I had my mind set on the Predator first but Lori at Bay Area Performance gave me a real good price for the Superchip($275).This site is so cool.

Archived