SS vs Hemi

dcairns

Well, it wasn't a very good race, actually. He didn't seem interested, so I just floored it when the light turned green to give him an SS demo :D He just seemed to go along with the normal traffic. Two lights later, he caught up and this time he caught me sleeping and pulled about 1/2 truck ahead as the light turned green. I was still loafing to cool down, so I floored it and started making it up until he shut down when I was about a half truck ahead. I wish he had raced me from the first light. At the second light the supercharger was still hot from the full throttle run before. All that engine and supercharger heat brings me close to stock perfomance. :sigh:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a full throttle run up to about 90 and then stop at the light kind of situation. Even with the larger heat exchanger, it takes a couple of minutes to recover from that. That is considerably better than it was with Magnacharger's heat exchanger which took for ever to cool things back down.

I am just using the stock air box for now. It pulls cool air as it is, so I don't think that is much of a problem. Getting more air through the system is another matter, but not high on my list of thing to work on.

Some of this may boil down to ghosts in the computer. I have noticed some highly variable results when monitoring my truck with EFILive. Some runs get 10 degrees of timing, others only 5 degrees. Still have to learn what variables the computer is taking into account and tinker with them.

dcairns there are two things that are causing your power loss IMHO

1. Lack of timing via PCM programming :puke:

2. Excess Fuel via PCM programming and I'd be interested to see what your fuel pressure is under boost :puke: I'm guessing on this one but until I see some Wideband data that proves otherwise I'm sticking with it.

3. Those two items are responsible for your low 1/4 mph. Your truck should trap at over 100 mph with the power you have available.

Did you see any reduction in you IAT's with your heat exchanger set up? I've got 2 stock units in series and didn't see any reduction but the ramp up to peak was slower and it recovered much faster.

A motor running 0-5 degrees of timing @ 5000 rpms isn't going perform close to its peak. And the PCM programming provide with the Radix does lower the timing and provides excess fuel. A pretty good warranty policy, :smash:

I am working on items 1-3, just takes time to do the home work and learn to use the tools. Looks like I need to add the wide band to my list :D

I didn't get to do a good before and after test with the heat exchanger upgrade, so I don't know if it helped on the IAT. The main difference I noticed was the faster cool down that it would do for me.

The funny thing with the timing is the way it changes so much with heat. In the above race, the first run was great, I even got some wheel spin, which I never have done before! The second run with the everything still hot, brings it back to near stock performance. Also, it was a half throttle launch followed by full throttle a couple of seconds later. It always seems to work better when it gets off the line a full throttle.

A while later on that same drive home, I was shadowing an SRT 4 Neon (don't laugh, they actually are fast). I was able to keep up with him, but not pass as I had intended. It is just a matter of having cooled down since the last run.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the temp rises doesn't the engines knock sensors retard timing until no knock is detected? If so, this would explain your difference in timing advance.

I'm leaning towards N2O for any needed power boosts. What are your thoughts? I've always been concerned with heat generated power loss with the SC. Nitrous has a cooling effect, plus increasing the oxygen available for each combustion event. Seems like the natural way to go to me. Or go with a crate 572!!! :thumbs:

I've only clocked 200 miles on my SS (not even close to broken in), it takes an incredible amount of restraint to let a F150 Harley Edition blow past you. The same a-hole has blown by me every day on my way to work since I got mine. Its going to be SWEET when I finally get to embarass the fu*ker. :devil: Plans for flowmaster exhaust by this weekend!!!

I've only clocked 200 miles on my SS (not even close to broken in), it takes an incredible amount of restraint to let a F150 Harley Edition blow past you. The same **** has blown by me every day on my way to work since I got mine. Its going to be SWEET when I finally get to embarass the fu*ker.  :devil: Plans for flowmaster exhaust by this weekend!!!

Dylan those Harley trucks are supercharged (unless its an early one) What mods do you plan to do to embarass him :confused: Dont underestimate him . :wtf: Give him hell :fume:

I can't really tell (as I am to busy holding lead foot off of gas pedal :fume: ) if its early model Harley F150. Everything I've read so far says SS beats Harley150 stock vs. stock, am I misinformed? :confused:

As for mods, I'm going to stick w/ quick n' easy bolt-ons for now (waiting for sticker shock to wear off) One of my friends family owns a muffler shop (Speedway Muffler, Rancho Cucamonga CA) we're gonna experiment w/ exhausts this weekend. I'm prettly loyal to Flowmaster which I have had on every vehicle I've ever owned. I already ordered my Hypertech chip and have started looking for an intake. I am extremely open to suggestions from everyone here.

Also, what is the text book "broken in"??? I've gotten different info from different sources. Some say 250 miles, others go as high as 1000! If I've gotta wait for 1000 miles, I might just invest in a good spike strip and wait for the Harley F150 bastard to drive by!!! :devil:

I promise a plethora of photos when I obliterate the fu*ker!

Archived