Small town police...this is a little crooked

Bowtie70SS

First off I wanna start by saying that I am not trying to offend any of the great, honest, hard working and honorable police officers but here's the story: My wife's cousin(we'll can him Jim) who is 19 and lives in a small Kansas town was pulled over the other day. He got a ticket because he did not have proof of insurance with him. He does have insurance but had a new car and didn't have the card yet. Here is where the story gets good. It seems the incompotent Roscoe P. Coletrain of a cop gave Jim both copies of the ticket. Jim being young and inexperienced and a honest guy didn't realize this at the time and went home. A couple of hours later Roscoe shows up at Jim's house and knocks on the door. Jim does not answer the door so Roscoe proceeds to get inside of Jim's car and retrieve the copy of the ticket he needed to process the infraction. Jim reported this to someone...the details I got were a little sketchy...and he was told not to worry about it. Well Jim got a letter in the mail saying his license was gonna be suspended if he didn't provide proof he had insurance. The next day he got another letter saying his liscense is suspended and now requires a reinstatement fee and blah blah blah. I think that the cop is a thief and should be prosecuted for tresspasing at the very least. The way I look at it if you F up you gotta be a man and accept the consequences...The cop expected Jim to. I think this is dirty and low down and this cop should be fired for his tresspassing and thievery. Later

Dave

why did jim not answer the door? it could have changed the outcome. the ticket is bogus, if i mess one up which rarely happens i man up and 86 it. as for going in to the vehicle, thats a grey area, i'm sure jim can have something done about that. i do not see why his license was suspended........maybe for too many violations????? who knows. i think it can all be worked out in court as for the additional charges jim wants against the police. jim is going to have to get a lawyer, jim is going to have to go to the judge, and it's a whole new can of worms that i guarantee jim does not want to open.

good luck :thumbs:

why did jim not answer the door? it could have changed the outcome. the ticket is bogus, if i mess one up which rarely happens i man up and 86 it. as for going in to the vehicle, thats a grey area, i'm sure jim can have something done about that. i do not see why his license was suspended........maybe for too many violations????? who knows. i think it can all be worked out in court as for the additional charges jim wants against the police. jim is going to have to get a lawyer, jim is going to have to go to the judge, and it's a whole new can of worms that i guarantee jim does not want to open.

good luck :thumbs:

I think Jim was just scared that he was gonna get another ticket or something. He didn't even realize that he had the officer's copy of the ticket. Also I'm sure he got his license got suspended for failure to show proof of insurance. I'm not familiar with Kansas law but in Ohio I think that the 2nd time you fail to show proof when stopped you are automatically suspended. I don't think he is looking to have the cop prosecuted or anything but I think what he did was wrong. If he is willing to resort to tresspassing and thievery then how good of a cop could he be? I'm pretty sure he's gonna come out ok on this I'll have to wait and see. Later

Dave

I got a ticket last winter because i could not show my latest insurance card,the one i had was about 3years old so i go to court talk to the prosecutor who says you look like an honest person just make a small donation to an organization and i'll forget the hole thing so 20 bucks later its all over with,the whole thing took me 30min.max.but the whole ticket was b.s. because i even offered to call my insurance co. who are on speed dial,but mr officer said no.

These are two completely separate issues, he needs to handle the proof of insurance in a timely matter regardless of the other situation.

AFA the cop's later behavior, yes that is a clear cut case of trespass. And they have laws about trespass :devil:

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Well I don't know Kansas' laws ... But I do know that Mass. Prints your Insurance Info, right on the Registration. If it was a new car, and there is insurance, but just no card in possession. You should be able to appeal the ticket in court, and have it "Nul Pros" = Not Prosecuted

AFA the cop's later behavior, yes that is a clear cut case of trespass. And they have laws about trespass :devil:

Mr. P.

As for this .... It is not a case of Tresspass, it is a case of an "Illegal Search".

Due to the car being parked on "Curtilage" ... the following will only apply to searching it.

1 - Consent

2 - Search Warrant

3 - Exigent Cirrcumstances

It's called Mapp vs. Ohio ... is the case law regarding Searches. And that is from US Supreme Court, so it applys to all states. Unless the state has enacted stricter laws regarding such.