Disassembly of Radix 112

I want to customize the color fo my blower to flat black or dark charcoal. How hard is it to disassemble my blower unit and reassemble it? Any instructions anywhere? How to's? I would like to disassemble it myself and then send it out to get powder coated. Hwo much do you think it would cost to pay someone to do break it down and powdert coat? Just powder coat? Any advice. I read through the instructions about not messing with the boost actuator bypass valve etc. That is factory pre-set and shouldn't be moved.

I bought the unit used and its a little dirty and the silverdust finish is cracking a little bit. I saw the black one too and thats what making me want to do it.

Any help? Anyone? Frank? Zippy? Chase?

The person I would ask this to would be Blownchevy. Brian is the only one I know that would have attempted that.

I can tell you that the coating is going to be about 300 dollars. There will be alot of tape work involved. Not that it's a big deal just time. There are many colors too, flat black, semi-gloss, wrinkle black. I could go on and on.

I understand the cost and more than willing to shell out $300 to do it. I'm more interested in how to disassemble the blower unit to just sjip the casing...what to look out for, what not to take apart etc...So I'm not shipping out the entire thing with injectors, fuel rails and all...etc.

BigTex has taken his down when repairing his intercooler. I myself have taken off the snout and J-tube only and it wa cake. I have been considering doing what you are talking about as well. Keep us posted on the outcome!

Powder coating $300? Wow! You can buy a kit from Eastwood company for $100 and do it yourself. I don't think there are any gaskets but anerobic gasket sealer is used instead. Powder coat colors are as numerous as paint colors, I have even seen glow in the dark and chrome. Look around on the GTP sites cause I think the eaton blowers are all about the same parts wise.

Dave

Powder coating $300? Wow! You can buy a kit from Eastwood company for $100 and do it yourself. I don't think there are any gaskets but anerobic gasket sealer is used instead. Powder coat colors are as numerous as paint colors, I have even seen glow in the dark and chrome. Look around on the GTP sites cause I think the eaton blowers are all about the same parts wise.

Dave

Sure you can buy a screw it yourself kit for 100 dollars........ Waste a good oven at home or have to find a used one to ruin.. There are reasons people get paid to do what they do..

Dave

Sure you can buy a screw it yourself kit for 100 dollars........ Waste a good oven at home or have to find a used one to ruin.. There are reasons people get paid to do what they do..

:withstupid:

I've seen those kits. They don't provide the proper equipment for good electrostatic charge and powder transfer ...

Plus ... even the slightest bit of finger oil, water, chemicals, or other surface contaminants will ruin the coating. If not at first, in the long run. Powdercoating is a very delicate and precise process. Heck ... even if you don't cure it long enough at the proper temperature ... it will chip, peel, or have a poor finish. It will come out looking like the surface of an orange.

$300 is not a bad price. It's worth every penny.

I paid $500 to have my El camino frame and every piece of the undercarriage blasted and powder coated. You can see why I'm skeptical about $300 for one small piece. As for the screw it yourself kit I guess if you can't figure it out then pay somebody.

Dave

it's actually real easy to take apart. the nose cone comes off then you need to remove the outside hardware, and the rear assembly, every things pretty much slides right out, no heavy work involved. I don't know of any directions but i wouldn't be afraid to do it if you have basic mechanical knoledge. One tip. when you re assemble, use stainless hardware. it will add a real nice touch.

I paid $500 to have my El camino frame and every piece of the undercarriage blasted and powder coated. You can see why I'm skeptical about $300 for one small piece. As for the screw it yourself kit I guess if you can't figure it out then pay somebody.

Dave

actually 300 sounds real reasonable. the eastwoods kits are junk. if you want one, i have one that i used about 5 years ago. It's like comparing autozone to a GM dealer, A kia to a benz, a filet to a mcdonalds hamburger, a Silverados SS to a f-150................................ok i'm done but you should get my point

Dave

Dave,

I am not going to sit here and argue, I just stated that I can help someone out with what they want done. I have done work for many members without complaint.

$500 for a frame and pieces parts, is a good deal, once again we are back to very little to NONE for tape work. With the charger internals being a machine fit you need the powder to stay out from there, you also need the mating surfaces to remain clean and clear of any powder build up.

This is a part that everyone is going to see when you pop your hood.... Do you really want something to not work out right the first time around?