removing G80 what to replace it with?

• 3 weeks later...
Reason for removing it???

when a G80 blows up, it takes everything with it, leaves chunks in your gears and bearings, known for bad failure. When it goes, it's pretty much a total rebuild

Detroit - rock solid locking, clicks around corners, built like a tank, locks up every time.

Tru Trac - same as above, but with more moving parts, still strong, less wear on tires.

Eaton LSD - slips power threw clutches, until it locks. less wear on tires, less wear on trans.

• 4 weeks later...
when a G80 blows up, it takes everything with it, leaves chunks in your gears and bearings, known for bad failure. When it goes, it's pretty much a total rebuild

Detroit - rock solid locking, clicks around corners, built like a tank, locks up every time.

Tru Trac - same as above, but with more moving parts, still strong, less wear on tires.

Eaton LSD - slips power threw clutches, until it locks. less wear on tires, less wear on trans.

Greetings!

Hope I don't get shot for 'hijacking' this thread - I sure will be glad to hit my min num of posts so I can start a new topic. Anyhow...

I just purchased an '03 SSS about a week ago and I'm already starting to hear the infamous 'growl' when making some turns. I thought it was steering related (or at least coming from the front) but this certainly isn't the notorious 'clunk' of the ISS. I have read many posts about 'fixes' under warranty, but even these don't seem to actually solve the underlying problem.

I guess I'm getting a bit nervous that I'm going to be facing these issues forever. I haven't been able to find many posts about aftermarket kits or parts to actually resolve this horrible noise / wear. Is replacing the G80 and seals, bearings, etc a good step to beefing up the rear? Any suggestions on the front?

This forum is great! As a former YJ (Jeep) owner my SS experience barely goes beyond driving a used one off the lot, but looking forward to actively participating here.

BTW, I'm in Des Moines, IA. I've seen at least another member or two from IA - does anyone have a suggestion for a shop to do AWD axle / trans work?

Jared