Cam install

You don't need the alignment tool. Not a lot of alignment going on. Either you hit the bolt holes, or you don't. I know you already have the seal and the sealer you need is the same way it comes from the factory and is only used along the bottom of the cover. You need the round seal and the cover gasket, that's it. I have not even a slight oil leak, seap, or otherwise. I still think about it, without debating anyone's expertise here, and wonder why you need it. You don't have an alignment tool for a oil pan or valve cover - do you?

BigTex, MN C5 - you guys use this alignement tool?

The difference between the valve cover and the oil pan is that you do not have a rotating shaft running through the center of them. Screw holes have clearance in them, there are no dowel pin holes to line up that cover. Its great that you don't have a leak. I guarantee if you do enough of them like that you will get a leak. If you have 1/32" clearance in the bolt holes you can have your front cover shifted 1/32" to either side and not properly lined up. By having the cover shifted side to side means that your center seal will not be perfectly lined up for the seal to seal on the balancer.

I didn't use an alignment tool. AND I reused my front cover seal and waterpump gaskets. I did use some RTV on the bottom of the front cover. I did have new gaskets and a seal, but I thought I'd reuse the originals and see if they leaked. Oh yeah, I also reused my stock crank bolt.

• 1 month later...

I'm wanting to install a new cam also, but installation is not my issue. My questions are about programming! is programming a must with a cam install or is it just to get the most out of the cam performance wise? I do want to do a program but don't have the money to do both at once!!! Any help would be great on you guys that know best!! thanks!!

If you use the cam that is initially used for this thread (part # in slimsoftball's sig), the stock programming works fine with it. If you go any bigger, you'll "need" programming. You will feel a very good improvement that will only get better when you can save up for the tune, but will not have any driving issues in the mean time.

Archived