Cam install

Alright guys that have already done this. I have been looking all over town to get ahold of 16 retraclable pen magnets to hold the lifters up during my cam install. Where did you get them, or did you have another way to do it besides the $200 dollar tool you slide in that can't get all the left side ones anyway.

Alright guys that have already done this.  I have been looking all over town to get ahold of 16 retraclable pen magnets to hold the lifters up during my cam install. Where did you get them, or did you have another way to do it besides the $200 dollar tool you slide in that can't get all the left side ones anyway.

They sell them at every part store I have been in. Usually right next to the register. They look like pens, complete with the clip for your pocket. Like pointers for an instructor, except with a magnet on the end.

After doing mine, I really don't think they would fall. I did use the $80 dollar tool that doesn't completely work right, but sent it back after the install. I spent some time spinning the cam to push up the lifters, then would force them back down against the cam with a pushrod. It took several pounds of pressure to move the lifters out of the cups down to the cam. I'm sure that with more miles on the truck, the lifters would move down easier. Anyway, I'm positive mine wouldn't have fallen even w/o a tool or magnets. I thought it was better safe than sorry, which is why I used the JPR tool, but it wasn't needed.

Check your local walmart or a small hardware store for the pens.

If these motors are like the Camaro/Corvette LS1s,

they should retain the lifters without special tools.

On the LS1s, I believe you remove the rocker arms and

just spin camshaft. There are some sort of plastic retainers

that hold the lifters up (by friction?).

I'll check the service manuals for the truck tonight and

see if I can find any mention of this procedure.

If these motors are like the Camaro/Corvette LS1s,

they should retain the lifters without special tools.

On the LS1s, I believe you remove the rocker arms and

just spin camshaft. There are some sort of plastic retainers

that hold the lifters up (by friction?).

I'll check the service manuals for the truck tonight and

see if I can find any mention of this procedure.

I would appreciate anything you could find DanY. Evyone I talk to seems to think that they are not going to fall on their own. But I don't want to be the one guy who has it happen to them.

Will do Ben. I have read the Cam how to a million times. Didn't even think to check the heads one.

Hell, I would bet the answer is in those 200 dollar service manuals I just had to have huh? :fume:

There's a good place to look. :thumbs:

I looked thru the service manual but had no luck answering the

lifter question.

The manual only shows a complete engine disassembly with

head and lifter removal before camshaft removal.

I can see the plastic lifter guide which I think is what holds

up the lifters after you spin the camshaft.

Sorry the manuals weren't much of a help.

We use the pen magnets when doing a cam swap. Under your heads are plastic retainers which keep the roller lifters from rotating and will hold the lifters up by friction. For the price of the pen magnets we use them as a safety. We have seen only a few motors that needed the magnets to hold the lifters up. Think of it this way, if you loose a lifter you will be most likely dropping the oil pan if you are lucky enough for it to fall all the way down there to get it out, and then pulling off your exhaust manifold, intake manifold, and head. Plus you will need all new head bolts, head gasket, and exhaust manifold gasket. So the $16 for magnets is much cheaper than the alternative. If you have any questions on the cam swap I am more than willing to help you out. You will need a front cover alignment tool too. We made our own, instead of the $300 Kent Moore one.

If you don't have the front cover aligned perfectly you will get a slight, or somewhat major oil leak between the balancer and the front cover seal. Also you should always replace the seal when removing the front cover.

I finally tracked down all the pen magnets I need so I should be good to go now.

Ben, you got a leak around the front cover? My service manuals didn't mention anything about a front cover alignment tool. Of course maybe this is why the LS1how to article has you smearing create-a-gasket in there. :wtf:

Archived