Easy Weight Loss Mod

RacerJJ

So I took my rear bumper off to lose some weight and because of the cost and availability of a roll pan, I found a way to remove the cover from the bumper and fabricate it back onto the truck. Just thought this was a good idea for those of you who would like to remain stock looking without the extra pounds.

Thats a pretty good idea. How strong is it though, just having the cover there without the bumper for support?

As far as strong...not really the way I did it because my SSS is just a drag truck now. I'm sure their are several stronger ways to do it but then what's the point if the support ways too much? As far as safety in a collision...I'd seem to think it would be just as safe as a fiberglass roll pan.

You can't tell me you didn't see this coming ............

PICTURES?

Here's your picture...go to the back of your truck and take a look! :jester: Or try to imagine it since you're a TBSS'r now. It looks just like stock minus the steel underneath. I'll snap some if you really want to see it.

Hopefully no one accidently stands on it :crackup:

Great idea for your truck ... I was just wondering if you cut it up and tucked it like a roll pan or just weight reduction ... I think I can remember the days when I had a SSS ... oh wait ... I dream about it every hour ... damn I miss that truck ...

:cheers:

Thats a pretty good idea. How strong is it though, just having the cover there without the bumper for support?

As far as strong...not really the way I did it because my SSS is just a drag truck now. I'm sure their are several stronger ways to do it but then what's the point if the support ways too much? As far as safety in a collision...I'd seem to think it would be just as safe as a fiberglass roll pan.

I guess I should have stated that a bit differently. What I ment was going 100mph how secure is it to the truck? Would you drive it like that as a daily driver? That is more what I was trying to get at.

I guess I should have stated that a bit differently. What I ment was going 100mph how secure is it to the truck? Would you drive it like that as a daily driver? That is more what I was trying to get at.

I would drive it as a daily driver like because like I said, I'm sure it's just as safe as a roll pan. As far as holding up at 100 MPH, I'll find out soon enough! I sure hope it does. I was in kind of a hurry and I was trying to add as little weight as possible but I'm sure one could fab it up to hold up to 200 MPH and still come out weighing less than stock.

Edited by RacerJJ (see edit history)

So I took my rear bumper off to lose some weight and because of the cost and availability of a roll pan, I found a way to remove the cover from the bumper and fabricate it back onto the truck. Just thought this was a good idea for those of you who would like to remain stock looking without the extra pounds.

Damn, that's a pretty good idea. What did you use to accomplish it? Are the brackets or whatever really obvious or did you hide them so it looks factory?

I guess when your a bracket racer and really trying to save weight, you come up with all kinds of ideas by thinking out of the box. Good job! :thumbs:

Damn, that's a pretty good idea. What did you use to accomplish it? Are the brackets or whatever really obvious or did you hide them so it looks factory?

I guess when your a bracket racer and really trying to save weight, you come up with all kinds of ideas by thinking out of the box. Good job! :thumbs:

I reused two of the brackets that actually held the cover to the bumper on the bottom and then made a couple more out of some alluminum strapping. All of the mounts are hidden underneathe the truck. There are some visible screws on the outside but I could have done a better job of hiding them if I really wanted to.

I just took my rear bumper and hitch off last week, it looks like the truck came up a inch or so in the rear

Yeah mine did too! I'm just going to ditch my shackles and use drop leafs to compensate for the inch.

I reused two of the brackets that actually held the cover to the bumper on the bottom and then made a couple more out of some alluminum strapping. All of the mounts are hidden underneathe the truck. There are some visible screws on the outside but I could have done a better job of hiding them if I really wanted to.
My kind of mod - I've been wanting to do something like this for over a year now just haven't made the time for it. I also want to move the bumper 1/2" upward & inward to better fit the truck. :thumbs::thumbs:

Mr. P. :)