Day one of cam install

Well I got day one of the cam install done. Would have been a breeze if not for the crank nut and harmonic balancer being such a *&%^$@ pain in the @$$ to get off. I tried the strap wrench approach for about 2 hours and finally gave up and just jammed a wrench through the slot in the balancer and up against the block, then finally was able to put some torque on that nut without the pulley turning. Then I went through 3 gear pullers. 2 at Oreilley's and 1 at autozone. Just bent the center bolt right in half. Finally got smart and went to Sears and got the $40 Craftsman one and it came right off. After that whole ordeal I figured I was home free untill I snaped my 3/8 to 1/4 adapter on my ratchet trying to get the rocker bolts out. :smash:

Needless to say I called it a day. 5 hours of work turned into 12 real quick. I will hit Sears in the morning for a new socket and hopefully will have a smoother 2nd day. Of course nothing else could go wrong. :fume:

Well, you could be putting in a new stall, shift kit, and servo in your driveway. I have had to remove nearly everything underneath just to get the tranny out. Got it out, putting in stall and shift kit right now. Servo was a breeze.

When you get yours, pay someone to do it. Although, it has been a learning experience.

Don't rub it in Zippy. I have never been much on luck. I don't go to Vegas either. ;)

Ben, Oh, I will be paying someone to do the TC. Even though this has been a pain in the butt so far, it beats mowing the lawn or something my wife could have me doing in the house.

Wish me luck boys, 7:30 am, I am headed back out to the garage.

everything going somewhat smooth ben?

So far everything has gone fairly smooth. Brought the tranny in the garage last night and put in the servo and shift kit. You make more changes with this shift kit than any others I have seen. It even comes with parts to be used if you have the entire tranny apart to beef up the 3-4 clutch pack.

The instructions are a little vague on the accumulators, so we stopped right there and hoping to get a call in this morning to either Allen Nelson or Joe with JAG performance. After that we slap the valve body back on and it's ready to go back on the truck once the TC has been put on.

Hope to be done by early afternoon and it's 39 degrees outside right now and got down to freezing last night. Yes, it does get that cold in FL.

Ben, I guess you are skipping the band / plates upgrade on this go round? I swapped the trans in my garage without a tranny jack earlier this year. I learned my lesson. I'd much rather pay $250 to my local tranny shop to do the swap. My weekends are more valuable than that. I'm glad I did it once, but won't be doing it again without a lift.

Slim - Good luck on the cam. If you have any type of programmer, move your shifts up to 6000 or near there. It should pull pretty well that high. You'll be happy with the results.

Archived