No oil pressure?

Ok we got the pan off and the pump is pumping very little almost nothing. Also we noticed the timing chain has a lot of play in it. Does anyone have any part # or recommendations to a better pump. I hate to put another stock one in it if this one took a dump so soon. The timing chain also is another issue, I guess I am going to serch around.

This is a shot in the dark, but could the front main bearing clearance be worn enough to affect the oil pump?

Mr. P.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a shot in the dark, but could the front main bearing clearance be worn enough to affect the oil pump?

Mr. P.

My mechanic said it looked ok. But the pump sure did not look like it was worn out. I am going to order a ls6 pump and a double roller timing chain. Does anyone have any part #'s or contacts?

I orderd a ported ls6 oil pump, a rollmaster double roller timing chain and a 160* stat from Skaug and dicky. I hope to have it by friday so I can have the truck this weekend. I am still wondering why the oil pump went out. I did just switch over to sinthetic about 3k miles ago.

Well I'm afraid for you, since the original oil pump looks fine - the issue could be a spun cam bearing.

Mr. P.

Is that possibe even with the stock cam in there? I have not touched the internals of the motor, and would it happen just sitting? I drove the truck home, parked it in the garage for two hours went to jump in it to get some food and thats when I found out when I went to start it.

Got everything installed late this afternoon. It was the oil pump after all, I am so glade it wasn't any worse. The new pump does have more pressure than the stock pump but not much.

Ok, it looks like I opened my mouth too soon. The truck ran great yesterday, had some fun on the streets, I thought everything was fine. This morning I go to start the truck and I watch the oil gauge, its right above the red and then the "low oil pressure" on the cluster. I give it a little gas and the oil pressure comes back up but it doesn't do it on its own till it warmed up. When it started to warm up it runs well above 40:banghead:. I just don't know whats going on.

Well I'm afraid for you, since the original oil pump looks fine - the issue could be a spun cam bearing.

Mr. P.

Im with Mr. P on this....Im not familiar with internals on this new of a engine, but on the older ones, I would be checking oil pickup tube, distributor sleeve and main bearings...But im sure the LS1's are a *little* different than the big blocks im familiar with....

Sorry your having so much trouble !!

The truck has been sitting for about six hours since I drove it last. I just went to go start it and it is doing the same thing. No oil pressure till I give it a little gas over 1k rpm. I push the gas down for 30 sec. and the oil pressure is just shy of the red and slowly climbs up as the motor heats.

Are you hearing any odd noises from the engine..With that low of oil pressure (if it really is that low, and that gauge is not reading incorrectly) you would hear some noise from the engine, chattering or a knocking noise..

Yes, when I first start the truck you can hear it chattering till the oil pressure builds. Today it took about three or four sec. for the oil to pump. Can it be a spun cam bearing even if I have the stock one? The truck runs normal when the oil pressure is warm. Any ideas? Can it have something to do with the radix?

Yes, when I first start the truck you can hear it chattering till the oil pressure builds. Today it took about three or four sec. for the oil to pump. Can it be a spun cam bearing even if I have the stock one? The truck runs normal when the oil pressure is warm. Any ideas? Can it have something to do with the radix?

Yeah that's not good. AFA your question on the cam bearings, the LSx cam bearings are the shoddiest POS bearings, I've talked with several builders that complain the cam bearings keep shedding copper for at least the first 30K-miles. And yes a couple people here have lost stock LQ9's to a spun cam bearing, Chase and BenKey for sure so yeah it's possible. One other thing about cam bearings, usually when they go they GO and get really bad super quick. But don't get depressed or panic yet as I am only saying it's possible, not a certainty at this point. Have you cut open the oil filter and checked for metal shavings?

Mr. P.