No oil pressure?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just opened the filter and there were small shavings of metal :banghead: . Not much but they were there. This was the old filter I checked.

Take a magnet and see how much of it (if any) is iron/steel, and how much is brass/copper... My opinion: metal shavings (especially if non-magnetic) + consistent oil pressure problems = teardown for inspection. :shakehead:

MORE: At this point I would not jack with it, I would get a dealer involved because your truck is less than 3 years old and there is no way the engine should be eating itself, they should replace the motor. Which means you're going to have to put the factory intake back on.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Take a magnet and see how much of it (if any) is iron/steel, and how much is brass/copper... My opinion: metal shavings (especially if non-magnetic) + consistent oil pressure problems = teardown for inspection. :shakehead:

MORE: At this point I would not jack with it, I would get a dealer involved because your truck is less than 3 years old and there is no way the engine should be eating itself, they should replace the motor. Which means you're going to have to put the factory intake back on.

Mr. P.

I was afraid of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Inspect the o-ring on the pickup tube very carefully if you haven't already replaced it. They can tear or crack causing no pressure. I have had a Corvette do this. I also had a 2007 Tahoe with 300 miles on it that the pressure relief valve in the oil pump stuck open but you ruled that out with the new pump. Good luck.

Inspect the o-ring on the pickup tube very carefully if you haven't already replaced it. They can tear or crack causing no pressure. I have had a Corvette do this. I also had a 2007 Tahoe with 300 miles on it that the pressure relief valve in the oil pump stuck open but you ruled that out with the new pump. Good luck.

I did just that and that was the problem. Oil was flowing back into the pan. I changed the o-ring but after talking to Rex there were a few diffrent colors so I tried one last time and it solved the problem. The oil pressure is better than before, and no engin tear down.

I did just that and that was the problem. Oil was flowing back into the pan. I changed the o-ring but after talking to Rex there were a few diffrent colors so I tried one last time and it solved the problem. The oil pressure is better than before, and no engin tear down.

Your problem sounds all too familiar.

One thing to remember when pulling off and replacing the oil pump is to insert the pick-up tube into the pump first and tighten it down. The last thing you should do is bolt it to the block. Reason is, when you already have it bolted to the block, the pick-up tube is cut to a length that already has that tube up in the pump. Doing the tube first alleviates fighting to get it up in there and potentially pinching or damaging your o-ring. I realize it is a moot point now. It took me a couple of times before I realized how much easier it was doing it that way and I didn't have that little worry in the back of my mind that I may have damaged my o-ring - after reading of so many issues people have had before on PT.net.