new times with truck

shadowsniper3006

ran the truck last night, conditions were pretty good, not the best but ok. Temp was around 50-55, very slight cross wind. I was able to pull a 13.895 at 97.11 with a 2.046 60'.

I just got done pulling the trans and having the PI converter restalled to what they said was the highest they could take the 10.5", around 3000. So i put around 400 miles on it and went to the track only to see .071 improvement in 60 foot time over my old stall that they called 26-2800. The truck still feels like hell out the hole, it drags ass until around 32-3500 then pulls real hard. This converter feels like a 2600 stall not the 3000 they say. So, should i look at a yank 3200 or something?

At any rate, my real question is should i be happy with that time, with my mods i expected more, but i guess i have nothing to compare it to either. If the truck is not running up to par I'm not sure were the weak link is. The TEA heads flow great but i wondering if i'm not using them to their potential. Do you think i have an air flow limitation? Do you think the stock TB is not allowing the cfm required by the heads. Or can the TB flow more cfm then the manifold can and the stock lq9 manifold is limiting me?

Or is my compression to low to utilize a high flow head. Or is the intake side matched good, but my stock manifolds are the whole problem and are choking the motors ability to breath and scavenge exhaust out the cylinder.

At this point, I'm just a little disappointed...but i might be expecting too much to, i tend to do that. does 13.5 sound too much to ask out of this set up?

Here is a list of my mods and the best time slip

180 stat

underdrive pulley

volant ram air intake

pcm tuning in person

magnaflow true dual in/out spliced into stock pipes

TEA stage 2.5 heads 69cc

I E

.1 68 51.7

.2 140.4 118

.3 208.7 170

.4 267.1 215.2

.5 302.6 260.6

.55 318.8 271.5

.6 328.7 279

Custom cam 224,228 .610,.588 113+4

PI 10.5" 3000( :crackup: ) stall

street trim -tailgate, but the spare and rear seat and jack and everything else is there

60' 2.046

330 5.783

1/8 8.896

mph 79.81

1000 11.578

1/4 13.895

mph 97.11

whats your opinions?

Thanks

Brad

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

You really almost need 3500 stall for that size cam. Seriously. Thats why it feels like hell out of the hole. that cams powerband should be around 3000-7000rpm. It just starts making power at 3000rpm. Also, your compression should be ok as well. You installed heads with smaller combustion chambers, therefore raising your compression. The results you picked up from teh re-stall are typical...you only jumped 200-300 rpm in stall rating, not a 1,000rpm. Plus, you are losing out on the top end with that cam due to the truck intakes limitations above 5000rpm. If you could swap to a LSx car style intake (like fast, etc) and get a 3500 stall, you could easily see 13.3-13.5 results you are looking for.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

That's not all that bad considering the converter troubles. If the converter was correct, you'd be about .2-.3 faster yet. I've been around here since almost the beginning of the site and very few trucks with an N/A 6.0L have beaten that time. For a comparison look here and here. Trust me, you have alot of room left in a converter and headers.

Dam...I also just noticed you dont have long tubes? Thats FUNDAMENTAL for the setup you have. Forget the car intake...get a set of long tubes first and report back to us.

i agree, a exhaust will alsop help , but i also think the intake manifold will help to get everything breathing better.

also the pi verters are known to stall pretty tight, imo i would get it stalled to 3200-3400 for your setup.

thanks a lot for the advice guys!

looks like the stall is the place to start...again

Should i stay with the PI and get the 9.5" or try a yank converter out. I put 19,000 miles on the PI converter before the restall and it never let me down so i think their quality is great, but i already asked about the 9.5 and guys said for a street truck the temps will be through the roof.

I talked the PI guy and he said i could trade my 10.5 in and throw down another 300 for the 9.5, if i went that route.

and if i go intake, which one? I read the posts that i could find and every one says there is good things about all the styles. LS2 gto,ls1,ls6, from what i have heard the fast is about even with the ls6?

Brad

That's not all that bad considering the converter troubles. If the converter was correct, you'd be about .2-.3 faster yet. I've been around here since almost the beginning of the site and very few trucks with an N/A 6.0L have beaten that time. For a comparison look here and here. Trust me, you have alot of room left in a converter and headers.

Read through that post and i noticed he ran faster then me with a better 60 foot with the stock heads. Zippy, are you trying to make me feel slow. LOL :driving:

funny you asked him that, but i did pay attention when i stagged, i came in very shallow. one run my last stagging light was blinking on and off. His shift points are were mine are, but he said he wanted to lower them? If i would add a set of rod bolts, would taking my shift point higher help me out?

Thanks

Brad

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Read through that post and i noticed he ran faster then me with a better 60 foot with the stock heads. Zippy, are you trying to make me feel slow. LOL :driving:

funny you asked him that, but i did pay attention when i stagged, i came in very shallow. one run my last stagging light was blinking on and off. He's shift points are were mine are, but he said he wanted to lower them? If i would add a set of rod bolts, would taking my shift point higher help me out?

Thanks

Brad

possibly, you need to get on a dyno and see where your power curve is, with that cam you should be making power well into the 6k rpms so it could help yes.

possibly, you need to get on a dyno and see where your power curve is, with that cam you should be making power well into the 6k rpms so it could help yes.

when we did the heads/cam we tried to look for a AWD dyno big enough in the area and we didn't find one. I heard about one in OH that might work, is there one by zippy? If i can find one thats not across the county, it would be helpful. As simple as it is i never thought about doing it to see how far this cam can go.

thanks

Brad

Obviously agreeing with everyone else.. but.. Long tubes are going to help a bit on the bottom end but that converter situation is disapointing. That thing needs to be loose like a 5 dollar whore after payday.

That truck makes some good power when shes rollin. I know from playing with it after I did the swap on the highway it owns. The power is defintely there. Taking advantage of it is the key. I think with exhaust a nice sloppy 3-3200 yank the 13.8 is going to be a thing of the past.

For the money invested right now. Instead of giving more money to PI I would say toss in a Yank TT3200 and sell off the PI. They make good converters no doubt but.. you are really getting the run around and laying on your back because the converter is still not enough.. thats just b.s.

i agree Frank,

this runs on the highway like its on a mission. This cam we put in here is right where i think it should be, i think this cam has great potential, so much potential i think i got to excited about it and maybe expected to much with out going another step forward with headers and intake. So I'll take everyones advise and go back to the drawing board, starting with another converter. then work my up from there...if my wife doesn't kill me first.

By the way i ran both PCM's at the track the first one with you and zippy and the second one i had you tweak and the second one ran 13.895 and the first one ran 13.90. Thanks for all the hard work you and Zippy have put into my truck! i guess in the end 13.8 is still damn fast for a 5200 pound, sexy looking, brick.

Brad

Thanks again to all!!!

i think that red03sillss who is running close to you - 13.79 i think is running a really loosey fuddle stall thats probably close to a 3200 with a stock cam and head setup although he does have lt/s i think.

The comparison with BigTex's truck isn't exactly straight forward the same. He did have headers. Cylinder heads are a good swap on these trucks, but they are only worth about as much hp as doing headers or the car intake. I was expecting the second pcm to have went faster myself. I'm going to look over that file again, but either way I wouldn't be unhappy with your time. Franks truck with headers, short tires, looser converter, and being 2wd only ran a 13.2. You're slowly getting there. Call me when you get some time.