Back from the track...

Black2003SS

Ok. Went to Norwalk and something isnt right. I'm hoping my trans isn't on the way out. But that is not it. My runs are below and the ET's and MPH, are not good for my mod level. I know there is more in the truck. Aside from me sleeping at the light tonight, give advice please.

Run 1

R/T - .792

60' - 2.168

330 - 6.152

1/8 - 9.486

MPH - 74.22

1000 - 12.361

1/4 - 14.824

MPH - 91.13

Run 2

R/T - .704

60' - 2.131

330 - 6.142

1/8 - 9.513

MPH - 73.74

1000 - 12.402

1/4 - 14.880

MPH - 90.44

Run 3

R/T - .640

60' - 2.175

330 - 6.146

1/8 - 9.495

MPH - 74.92

1000 - 12.303

1/4 - 14.745

MPH - 91.77

Ok, so run 3 wasnt SO bad. I was full street trim, with no prep, carrying a fiberglass toneau cover. The trouble spots though are the 1-2 shift, seems like it takes forever, and I have 7+degrees of KR, so I have that gremlin to chase as well. I didn't log the runs as I didnt have anything to tie down my laptop, but I monitored some 30-80 runs on the back roads on the way back home. I think even with the bed cover's weight, I should be in the 14.3-14.5 range, not 14.7-14.8. Please give your opinions. Obviously, I have to address the KR. I do not have my servos or shift kit installed yet, will that help the trans issue? I have the zippy tune in and I told him I did not have a shift kit yet. What is happening is when I hit the 1-2 shift, there is a breif moment of silence from the engine, almost as if the truck stalls or shuts of for a split second, the front end dives down, it grabs hard, then takes off again. If I had to compare it to something it would be like a fully depressed clutch granny shift on a manual transmission. Hopefully the shift kit will address it and there isnt a more serious problem. I usually dont notice it on teh street because I do rolling runs or short blasts from 0-30ish with out letting it shift into second. But now that I try it on the street, it did it again.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

sounds like tm system is eating you alive... my truck did the same thing but once i did the trans w/servos it made HUGE difference... i mean i get second gear burnouts with my 24"s... granted i have a SC, but still... get the trans done before you blow it up... serioiusly

I have HP tuners, thats how I know I have KR. Zippy wrote the tune and when I installed it, it felt great. I told myself when I went that if I got a 14.4, I would be perfectly happy with that. I was disappointed to see the 14.8. I have to work today, but hopefully I can get something done on the trans this early next week and try to sort out the KR issues. Let me ask a question. Would a big exhaust leak where the cats bolt to the muffler back by the trans be enough to cause false KR? Would it resonate back to the motor and register as KR? I noticed I had an exhaust leak there after driving next to a wall and then looking underneath the truck while it was idling, I could feel it coming out there with my hand. If its that simple, I'm going to jump for joy.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

I never run anything less than 93 octane, the last few tanks have been from the local BP station on the corner by my house. As far as advance goes, I would have to ask zippy that, or look it up in the file. If I recall correctly, I think its somewhere around 26-28degrees looking at the log file.

Zippy,

Assuming that he's having some tranny problems, what do you suggest for a remedy? Those symptoms sound familiar.

Mine behaved alot like that at the drags last summer. Then it began slipping sometimes and got an occassional clunk. This weekend it locked up under load, broke the driveshaft and transfer case.

Hate to see an ounce of prevention turn into a ton of repair!

I should also mention how I conducted the runs. The first run I staged, let it idle, and nailed out of the hole, it flashed to about 2600-2700rpms like it should have and was gone. The second run I staged and then revved up to about 2400rpms standing on the brake, putting the pedal to the floor when it was time to go, it seemed a little slower doing that, but it was the better 60'. Run, three I did it the same way as run 1. Runs 1 and 2 I had my efans running the whole time. Run 3 I had my efans off. That is all I changed from run to run. Run 1 I had the left lane, and runs 2 and 3 I was in the right, but i seriously doubt that made a difference at all.

Thanks for looking at the tune zippy. We'll see what we will come up with. I'm going to get the exhaust fixed this monday/tuesday and head back to teh track wednesday night. I'll take something with me to tie down the laptop so I scan while running. They just said I needed something to tie it down to the seat.

Looking at my scans tonight in depth. Here is what I noticed, the KR is random. I made one 0-60 run (6.6sec) and there was zero KR. It appears the KR is kicking in in third gear the most and is as high as 8deg. On average it is around 4deg. Prior to the KR showing up, advance is at about 28.5-29.5deg at 100% tps. When KR kicks in, advance drops to about 23-24deg and KR gets slightly better. But its not there every single run. There is a run where there is zero KR for the same scenario. False knock? :dunno:

The shift issue. The good news is HP tuners captured the event. One of my scans shows 100tps, then getting to the shift, it shows 50%tps even though I had my foot to the floor for the entire run. Guess how long my shifts are taking? .7-.8 sec on average. Should be around .25-.40 maximum and that is how fast the 2-3 shifts are. The rpms are at 6095 and hang there for .2-.3 sec. If we can correct the 1-2 shift and get it down to .3-.4sec, that would shave off .3-.4 sec overall and reduce my 0-60 time to 6.1-6.2 and my overall 1/4 ET to 14.3-14.4, right where everyone else runs with similar mod levels. The bad news? I dont know how to fix it or what the issue is. I hope the trans isnt going. If it is, its still under warranty and I dont have that many mods, I think I can talk a dealer into repairing it even though I have a torque converter if thats even it. If I stick the servos and HD2 kit in there, no way will they warranty it. I might even have my torque converter swapped out prior to taking it in.

Three major things.

1. My 60ft should be around 1.9-2.0, so there is work there to be done, possibly torque management.

2. Correct the 1-2 shift and save .3-.4seconds. Figure out the trans issue.

3. Fix the KR in third gear and get the mph up to 92-93

These three things should get me where I want to be with what I have...14.3-14.4 ET and 92-93mph. Once these issues are solved, its time for the L92 setup.

What do you guys think?

Looking at my scans tonight in depth. Here is what I noticed, the KR is random. I made one 0-60 run (6.6sec) and there was zero KR. It appears the KR is kicking in in third gear the most and is as high as 8deg. On average it is around 4deg. Prior to the KR showing up, advance is at about 28.5-29.5deg at 100% tps. When KR kicks in, advance drops to about 23-24deg and KR gets slightly better. But its not there every single run. There is a run where there is zero KR for the same scenario. False knock? :dunno:

The shift issue. The good news is HP tuners captured the event. One of my scans shows 100tps, then getting to the shift, it shows 50%tps even though I had my foot to the floor for the entire run. Guess how long my shifts are taking? .7-.8 sec on average. Should be around .25-.40 maximum and that is how fast the 2-3 shifts are. The rpms are at 6095 and hang there for .2-.3 sec. If we can correct the 1-2 shift and get it down to .3-.4sec, that would shave off .3-.4 sec overall and reduce my 0-60 time to 6.1-6.2 and my overall 1/4 ET to 14.3-14.4, right where everyone else runs with similar mod levels. The bad news? I dont know how to fix it or what the issue is. I hope the trans isnt going. If it is, its still under warranty and I dont have that many mods, I think I can talk a dealer into repairing it even though I have a torque converter if thats even it. If I stick the servos and HD2 kit in there, no way will they warranty it. I might even have my torque converter swapped out prior to taking it in.

Three major things.

1. My 60ft should be around 1.9-2.0, so there is work there to be done, possibly torque management.

2. Correct the 1-2 shift and save .3-.4seconds. Figure out the trans issue.

3. Fix the KR in third gear and get the mph up to 92-93

These three things should get me where I want to be with what I have...14.3-14.4 ET and 92-93mph. Once these issues are solved, its time for the L92 setup.

What do you guys think?

Are you running stock plug wires?

No, I'm running MSD's. Have been since the header install. I checked all wires for burns/melts/shorts = nada. I think the biggest majority is the issue with the trans. Whatever that is. Mr. P, detjoe, among others are running 14.4ish with similar mph, so I would conclude when the truck stops accelerating for the .7-.8 sec to shift into 2nd is where I am losing the most time.