Does anyone have any idea if the AWD system from an 04 SS can be installed in an 06 SS?

Besides the obvious (warranty) would there be any conflicts or problems with it?

I have been looking since last September for a replacement for my 04 and have seen a lot of them. None to which compared to mine (before the wreck of course!). I have come to the conclusion that those who know what they have keep them, those that don't trash them.

So, I have been thinking about a new one. I found a few 06's that are pretty clean. But as we all know Chevy discontinued making the AWD SS in mid 05. Sucks for me as I want the AWD. So I put forth the question to all the mechanics here, Can it be done and be done correctly with out major modifications?

Thanks.....

:withstupid: Not hard at all, probably doable in a day. See if you can buy back the TCase, drivelines, front axle, & steering knuckles from your old truck. On second thought you're going to have to buy the rear axle too because the AWD front diff will have 4.10s and the '06 rear will have 3.73s, or you could scavenge parts from a 2002 AWD Denali as they had the same AWD running gear but with 3.73's and that would match the ratio of the 2006 rear diff; or, buy 4.10s for the stronger rear diff already present in the '06 truck... Also, you need to double check if the 2006 front brakes can be retrofit onto the 2004 steering knuckles - I'm pretty sure that they can. Another snag I can see is that GM did redo the lower ball joint design in 2005+, so you'll have to plan for that detail as well. Some minor issues, they can all be worked around I'm sure. I love AWD, it rocks!

Mr. P. :)

I have the complete lower front end and the front drive assembly available (It's still all there right Brian?) And I was planning on lowering the front end with new spindles anyway. I will need to get a new 4.10 rear as the old one was sold, but I have both drive shafts.

Any thing else I need to think about? How about the computer....are there any controls or sensors I will need? I have the old computer module from the 04 but think there are probably conflicts between years.

While I am thinking about it...any one need an 04 tranny or LQ9 engine with 30k on it? Shipping might be a bitch but they are available!

Edited by 04ChargedSS (see edit history)

No need to touch the '06 PCM, other than to correct the VSS (speedo) for different gear ratio; the swap is all mechanical. If you are installing dropped spindles then I think you will need to use the Beltech's as they fit the newer/larger lower ball joints, Belltech don't advertise them for use with AWD -but- the hole is there for the hub & half-shafts... :dunno:

Mr. P. :)

I have all the steering gear as well so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for all the info! :thumbs:

I guess all I have to do now is figure how much time is going to be involved in removing and then reinstalling the stuff. I guess I could get it all together and drop it all off with a mechanic friend for the install. Hmmmm, wonder how much it would cost? Guess I should call him!

Goldie... I am in California, the Tri Valley area east of SF. But I don't think it would pan out for us as I have all the stuff from my 04 that I wrecked. Sorry. :dunno:

So anything else to consider? What about the frame and mounting.....do you think the holes are there for mounting brackets etc or am I gonna have to get someone to do some welding?

I have all the steering gear as well so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for all the info! :thumbs:

So anything else to consider? What about the frame and mounting.....do you think the holes are there for mounting brackets etc or am I gonna have to get someone to do some welding?

Park the truck side by side, and compare everything. Does the 06 have coil springs or torsion bars? For some reason the parts catalog doesn't illustrate 2WD suspension after 2003, but 2002 and back used coils for 2WD. Anyway, the frames are different between 2WD and 4WD/AWD, but you may be able to make it work.

Look to see if there are mounting points for the front diff, torsion bar bracket, and steering gear. 1/2 ton regular and extended cab usdes the rack and pinion steering. Anything heavier, 4WD, Tahoe, Suburban, crew cab, used a reciculating ball steering with torsion bar suspension, so all the mounting points may be there. If not, you could cut and weld the brackets from your old frame. Just depends on what you want to spend.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

might be easier to just get the body of an 06 and slap it on your 04 frame :jester:

Yeah, that would be nice if the frame from my truck wasn't trashed. Matter of fact, that was the key factor in it being totaled. :(

Actually, If it weren't for the frame damage, I'de be driving it!

Edited by 04ChargedSS (see edit history)

I spent all weekend underneath a '04 Joe Gibbs truck, and the front 1/3rd of the frame is very different from the AWD/4x4 frame. I agree that anything can be made possible, but I'm starting to wonder about the feasibility of this. Next opportunity I get I'm going to actually get both trucks in the air side-by-side and see if the diff can be swapped in to the 2WD truck...

Mr. P.

If a frame is the concern, wouldn't just about any frame from an '04 work? I have an '04, ext cab with a 5.3, 2wd AT. I have the same frame as the V-max and the SS from that year, just don't have all the AWD goodies. I would think a 3/4 ton 4X4 frame would probably work as well. I've done frame swaps before and they're not quite the nightmare you might think. Plus, you can set up the suspension on the new frame first and then when you're ready, transfer over the truck. You're in Calli so you would need the signature of a friendly neighborhood CHP officer to clear up the frame #/VIN mismatch. That is if these truck even have frame numbers. My old S-10 didn't.

Bottom line, yes, it would be a lot of work and take longer than a weekend, but...man you could make a really nice frame with the perfect stance. I can envision flow-thru frame exhaust, an adjustable four-link, airbags...you could really go crazy. :driving: