Just installed my Edelbrock Shocks

dcairns

Just installed my new Edelbrok IAS shocks today. After 60K miles, the stockers were getting mushy in the front.

EDL-33024 front

EDL-34037 rear

Have not had much of a chance to drive it, but so far it feels a bit firmer but not harsh.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious to know how those'll work out for you... I've been interested in their "IAS" system for a while but haven't had a reason to get them for anything yet... Let us know how the ride quality is once you get some more driving time on them!

I am also on the verge of buying these to go along with my 2/3 Belltech drop. Ride wasnt too bad when I was only driving the truck once or twice a week, but it's starting to get annoying now that I'm daily driving it. If I hit a medium or worse bump while turning my rear jumps bad, very unnerving. Had Bilstiens on my Xtreme and it rode like a Lexus with a 4/5, but hear nothing but good things about the IAS pieces. Do keep us updated!

Edelbrock does not have an specific application for the SS (stock or lowered). But I searching around here, I found Supercharged06SS liked 'em :

best shocks to put on truck?

and jimbom had the part numbers :

EDELBROCK SHOCKS THAT FIT!

I compared the stock shock to the Edelbrock in the front, and the stock might have been 1/2 an inch shorter, but it was hard to keep the Edelbrock compressed while holding the stock shock compressed next to it. :crazy:

I got to take them out for a spin during lunch today. I think I am going to love them. Firm but gentle is how I would describe them so far. Firm enough to be sporty, but gentle enough not to fatige me on long highway drives. None of that kidney punching firmness you get with off-road gear, but never mushy like my stock shocks had become. But the stockers were worn out, and they were allowing a lot of bounce in hard cornering, like "taking an on-ramp fast" stuff. It was scarry when you hit a bit of roughness in the road and the front wheels start hopping and you can feel the front end sliding to the outside :eek: Didn't feel any of that with the Edelbrocks. :driving:

Firm but gentle is how I would describe them so far. Firm enough to be sporty, but gentle enough not to fatige me on long highway drives...

That how I would describe them. I had them on my truck for a year and I loved them. The only reason I got rid of them was because I switched to some QA1's.

Edelbrock does not have an specific application for the SS (stock or lowered). But I searching around here, I found Supercharged06SS liked 'em :

best shocks to put on truck?

and jimbom had the part numbers :

EDELBROCK SHOCKS THAT FIT!

I compared the stock shock to the Edelbrock in the front, and the stock might have been 1/2 an inch shorter, but it was hard to keep the Edelbrock compressed while holding the stock shock compressed next to it. :crazy:

I got to take them out for a spin during lunch today. I think I am going to love them. Firm but gentle is how I would describe them so far. Firm enough to be sporty, but gentle enough not to fatige me on long highway drives. None of that kidney punching firmness you get with off-road gear, but never mushy like my stock shocks had become. But the stockers were worn out, and they were allowing a lot of bounce in hard cornering, like "taking an on-ramp fast" stuff. It was scarry when you hit a bit of roughness in the road and the front wheels start hopping and you can feel the front end sliding to the outside :eek: Didn't feel any of that with the Edelbrocks. :driving:

Ok.. I am determined to get to the bottom of this so that all SS variations may enjoy the power of IAS.

Are you 2WD or 4WD? Lowered or stock height?

You used 33024 front shocks which work with 2WD AND 4WD Avalanch/Tahoe/Suburban applications and 34037 rear shocks made for the 2500 HD only in 2WD and/or 4WD apps as well. Interesting combination. My guess is that, on an SS, that 2500 HD rear shock is probable taller than it should be or needs to be because 2500 HDs are tanks in comparison. Bare minimum I'd all most gurantee it's valved differently (Read: stiffer) for increased load to handle the weight of the truck and towing/hauling capacity.

Myself - I have a 2/4 Drop 2WD with, of course, the Torsion Bar front suspension. Just got off the phone with Edelbrock Tech Support 10 minutes ago. He reccomended using:

33010 Fronts (For 99-2006 2WD 1500s) I did ask him to verify this PN is specifically listed for T-Bars and he confirmed a 'yes' twice

along with:

34023 Rears (For 99-2005 2WD 1500s Lowered 4" in the Rear)

It is worth noting here that the Avalanch/Tahoe/Suburbans all use the same front and rear shock no matter if the truck is 2WD or 4WD. No matter what, the front shock is always 33024 and the rear is always 34024. 2WD or 4WD, doesnt matter. This probably has to do with the fact these vehicles all use Coil Spring front and rear springs.

However, the 1500 trucks (Silverados for instance) have different part numbers for both front AND rear depending on if you have a 2WD or 4WD. Example:

1999-06 1500 truck

2WD Front 33010

4WD Front 33012

2WD Rear 34010

4WD Rear 34012

I asked, and was told, that the difference between the PNs for 2WD 1500 apps and 4WD 1500 apps is that the ones made for 4WDs are 1.5" taller, that seems to be it. Of course in lowered applications you dont want a taller shock, therefore I should use the shorter 2WD variation.

What's baffling me is why he reccomended 2WD front shocks. I'd say the 1.5" lower height on the tube is a good thing but I'm still not sure it's the best. I thought all 2WD Silverados, except SS Suspension package, use coil springs whereas the the SS Package - even in 2WD form - uses Torsion Bars. I would think there should be a damping rate difference going between T-Bar and Coil spring, if nothing else.

What everyone think of this?

Ok.. I am determined to get to the bottom of this so that all SS variations may enjoy the power of IAS.

Are you 2WD or 4WD? Lowered or stock height?

2003 SS only cam in AWD ;). As for height, I am stock, but the torsion bars were adjusted to match the slight drop caused by the Velvet Ride Shackles I have, and the extra weight of the shell on the back.

I was going to call Edelbrock to see what they thought of the part numbers from jimbom, but the Edelbrocks jumped into my shopping basket at Summit while I was getting shocks for my wife's Rodeo :) I did get as far as looking at Edelbrocks application chart and noticing what other vehicles the EDL-33024 and EDL-34037 shocks fit, and did find it odd that the rears were listed for a 2500 truck. I guess time will tell if they work out for me, but so far I am pleased. I am anxious to see how they do on a section of freeway with bad expansion joints that was always caused that uncomfortable bounce with the stock shock. I am also anxious to see if this helps with some porpising I was getting while towing (the towing experts say that bad shocks are frequently the culprit).

2003 SS only cam in AWD ;) . As for height, I am stock, but the torsion bars were adjusted to match the slight drop caused by the Velvet Ride Shackles I have, and the extra weight of the shell on the back.

I was going to call Edelbrock to see what they thought of the part numbers from jimbom, but the Edelbrocks jumped into my shopping basket at Summit while I was getting shocks for my wife's Rodeo :) I did get as far as looking at Edelbrocks application chart and noticing what other vehicles the EDL-33024 and EDL-34037 shocks fit, and did find it odd that the rears were listed for a 2500 truck. I guess time will tell if they work out for me, but so far I am pleased. I am anxious to see how they do on a section of freeway with bad expansion joints that was always caused that uncomfortable bounce with the stock shock. I am also anxious to see if this helps with some porpising I was getting while towing (the towing experts say that bad shocks are frequently the culprit).

LoL yeah the AWD question was a dumb one, didn't really think that through.

I'm completely with you on the expansion joints and such. That is really what prompted me to replace mine ASAP. One in particular gets me every time. Sweeping turn across this little old bridge on a major highway - front bounces and rear get's literally airborne every singe time, I'd say the rear entire jumps sideways (luckily towards shoulder) a good 2 - 3ft but I'm guessing. Effing dangerous in any case.

I'm ordering mine within the next couple weeks to install when I replace the rear tires, and will call Edelbrock again hoping for a new tech. Would like a second opinion on everything. I'm concerned with the first advice I got because I was told to use 2WD 1500 Shocks and, as I said and we all know, 2WD 1500s without SS suspension all have coils up front. May still be the same but something tells me I should still use 4WD shocks in the front since we have the 4WD knuckles and T-Bars. Here again, I think if nothing else they may be valved differently for the different effective spring rates between coils and t-bars.

With your added weight of the camper top, you may be better off with the 2500 shocks anyway so long as the height difference of the tube isnt substantial.

With your added weight of the camper top, you may be better off with the 2500 shocks anyway so long as the height difference of the tube isnt substantial.

I did compressed the stock rear shock and the Edelbrock, and they were pretty close to the same height. I did not take the strap off and compare the extended lenghts (too lazy). There was a tremendous difference between the stock shocks and the Edelbrocks when trying to compress them by hand. I had to compress the Edelbrocks by pressing them onto the ground using my body weight to compress them, and then tie a rope from top to bottom to hold them compressed for installation! The stock shocks were easy to compress with one hand while uninstalling them, but they were worn out.