Just installed my Edelbrock Shocks

dcairns

<br />I did compressed the stock rear shock and the Edelbrock, and they were pretty close to the same height. I did not take the strap off and compare the extended lenghts (too lazy). There was a tremendous difference between the stock shocks and the Edelbrocks when trying to compress them by hand. I had to compress the Edelbrocks by pressing them onto the ground using my body weight to compress them, and then tie a rope from top to bottom to hold them compressed for installation! The stock shocks were easy to compress with one hand while uninstalling them, but they were worn out.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Interesting. I'd say if those front shocks continue to work well for you, I may go ahead and use that PN instead of the ones for the 1500 2WD. At least I know they work in this case. Only thing different between our front ends should be that you have half shafts to the differential, and I don't.

Keep us updated on your experience with them, otherwise I'll check back with you over PM in a couple weeks before I order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the info guys. Based on this, I'm ordering:

EDL-33024 front (Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche 2wd/4wd)

EDL-34023 Rears (For 99-2005 2WD 1500s Lowered 4" in the Rear)

My 4x4 is lowered w/2" spindles and cranked down 2" more up front; 4" drop shackle -2" 4x4 block spacer.

The load up front of my CC is more like that of an SUV and a 2wd rear just has less travel, not less capacity. A half ton is a half ton.

If tow/haul ever becomes an issue I'll just slap in helper bags.

Thanks again!

Let us know how they work out for you. Will be ordering mine within the next week or so. I'm going with 33010 Fronts (2wd 1500) and 34023 (2WD lowered 4") Rears

IMO the front shocks are going to be too tall for you. Edelbrock told me the only difference between 2WD front and 4WD fronts was the length, with the 4WD being longer. Since you cranked your t-bars down you lost 2" of travel and shorld have went with a shorter stroke shock (i.e. 2WD)

Now what I'm seeing, as you know, is the 2WD and 4WD Avalanch use the same PN. Does anyone know if both 2WD and 4WD Avalances use T-Bars? I'd be interested in knowing the shock height as well.

I had an e-mail conversation with Edelbrock on this topic not too long ago.

I asked them this:

It is time to replace shocks and I am interested in the Edelbrock IAS Performer series.

I used the online application chart in an attempt to determine what best fits my needs. However, I was unable to determine which application would best fit my vehicle.

I have a 2004 Silverado SS. This is an All-Wheel-Drive that has been lowered 2” in the front and 3” in the rear. The front suspension also uses torsion bars rather than coil overs like most Silverado’s.

Based upon these specs, which IAS Performer series shocks would work best for my application?

Their response was:
The shocks I would recommend are 33012 for the fronts, and 34010 for the rears. Thank you for using Edelbrock products, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Aaron Jones

Technical Support

[email protected]

I have not ordered or installed these yet. I just thought I would pass along the info for those interested.

Edited by Lefty (see edit history)

I had an e-mail conversation with Edelbrock on this topic not too long ago.

I asked them this:

Their response was:

I have not ordered or installed these yet. I just thought I would pass along the info for those interested.

Sounds like Edelbrock can't make up thier mind when reccomendeding thier products to consumers. All though I'm not surprised, this makes me not jolly.

33010s are for 2WD standard height 1500s. The rear suspension between any of the 1500s have very few differences that I'm aware of - all are leaf spring plus or minus a 2" block (for 4wd lift) In any case, they should have reccomended the 34023's for a 4" drop. You only have 3" drop but 3" is certainly closer to 4" than 0". Just goes to show us that these "tech" people are just reading off the application chart and have no real world experience. Forums to the rescue.

Edited by Blk06Limited (see edit history)

34023 rears are perfect height for my 4x4 -4" shackle w/block removed.

I didn't order the fronts yet because I wanted to see if the rear would go up or down with these, first. It did settle down slightly and is now totally level with no rake. It also rides 10x smoother compared to the stocks being compressed all the time.

Now the (stock) fronts feel too stiff.

I am still pleased with the EDL-33024 front and EDL-34037 rear shocks. I keep finding myself tensing up for a bump or pothole, only to find I go over it rather smoothly. Unfortunately, Caltrans re-paved my reference "expansion joint bounce" test area (fast lanes on the 5 south, just south of the "El Toro Y"). I have felt some "expansion joint bounce" on other freeways with the new shocks, but I can't tell if it is the shocks making a bad road feel fairly good, or if the road is just not very bad. I guess I need to get over to the 710 freeway one of these days, it always seems to be a mess.

I've been told the IAS shocks are prone to leaking; anyone confirm/refute this?

Mr. P. :)

I've heards various reports to that affect also, but none first hand from someone who experienced it. No matter though, they carry a lifetime warranty =)

34023 rears are perfect height for my 4x4 -4" shackle w/block removed.

I didn't order the fronts yet because I wanted to see if the rear would go up or down with these, first. It did settle down slightly and is now totally level with no rake. It also rides 10x smoother compared to the stocks being compressed all the time.

Now the (stock) fronts feel too stiff.

Doesnt make sense that the 34023s would work correctly with a 4" drop 4x4. Reason being is that stock 4x4 shocks, in theroy, should be 4" taller anyway to account for the lift block. So by removing the 4" lift block you should be down to, roughly, standard height 2WD rear shocks. By using 2WD shocks made for a 4" drop, your shock is now, again in theory, 4" shorter than it should be.

Unfortunatley I dont know the height of 2WD or 4WD OEM rear shocks to back this up.. but it makes sense in my head anyway.

If it helps any, i'm using 33012 for the fronts, and 34010 for the rears with a 2" spindle drop upfront and a 2" shackle drop in rear. Unfortuneatly, havn't had it out for a drive yet to see how they feel but they installed easily and fit good.

I decided to email Edelbrock also to see what they had to say. Here is my email and there response:

Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 2:26 PM

To: Edelbrock

Subject: Edelbrock IAS shocks

It is time to replace shocks and I am interested in the Edelbrock IAS Performer series.

I used the online application chart in an attempt to determine what best fits my needs. However, I was unable to determine which application would best fit my vehicle.

I have a 2003 Silverado SS. This is an All-Wheel-Drive that has been lowered 2” in the front and 2” in the rear. The front suspension also uses torsion bars rather than coil overs like most Silverado’s.

Based upon these specs, which IAS Performer series shocks would work best for my application?

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,

When you say that the truck is lowered 2” front and rear, is that relative to the standard Silverado or did you drop your SS lower than it came stock? Assuming the former, I would recommend our part #33012 shock up front and our part #34010 shock in the rear. If the latter is the case, we do not have a shock for you. Thank you for using Edelbrock products, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Aaron Jones

Technical Support

[email protected]

Doesnt make sense that the 34023s would work correctly with a 4" drop 4x4. Reason being is that stock 4x4 shocks, in theroy, should be 4" taller anyway to account for the lift block. So by removing the 4" lift block you should be down to, roughly, standard height 2WD rear shocks. By using 2WD shocks made for a 4" drop, your shock is now, again in theory, 4" shorter than it should be.

Unfortunatley I dont know the height of 2WD or 4WD OEM rear shocks to back this up.. but it makes sense in my head anyway.

The 4x4 block is actually 1 1/2" rise. The difference from a 4x2 (1/2 ton) truck is the block.

*Stock 4x4 shock is +2"

*Remove block = stock 4x2 shock

*-4" = same

How's your head? :)

Leakage? I don't know. Never read that anywhere but, as mentioned, they have a lifetime warranty.