Wierd jerking

My trucks been doing this lately and I can't figure it out... I'll be driving normally, about 1/4 throttle for just normal acceleration. It gets to where it's going to shift, hesitates, then it finally shifts-but then immediatly after, it jerks again?! Like theres some type of clutch not releasing right away. It's kind of hard to explain, but it does it every shift. I can't say that it's in the transmission. My old reg. cab would do a similar thing- I would give it gas, it wouldn't go, then it would jerk and go. I had that one checked out and they said everythings fine. So everytime it shifts, it jerks a second time right after. Thanks for the help. :chevy:

Could it be the torque converter clutch unlocking and locking?

The stock tranny calibration calls for the TCC to unlock during shifts...

Also could be the dreaded Torque Management...

- the stock programming calls for the timing to be pulled during shifts

- stock electronic throttle can close some at rev limit

I'm not sure about the tcc, deezel.

I guess I didn't really describe what I meant. You said it seems like something is holding too long/not releasing properly. My comment about the normal TCC operation was intended to suggest that perhaps you are experiencing abnormal operation of the TCC. Maybe a line pressure problem or something???

I'll bet Zippy would know if a tcc problem could cause your symptoms...

There's a lot of slop in your tranny.  Do yourself a favor and get the Transgo-hd shift kit.  It comes with a corvette servo.  Mine did similar things, but now it's very tight and shifts are very firm and quick.

Is it TOO firm under normal driving? :chevy:

The transgo-hd kit has different levels of firmness that you can pick. I selected the lowest firmness. It's very firm under WOT, and not a whole lot of diff in normal driving. I had a bad experience with a shift kit before and was reluctant to put one in this truck. The last one I installed rattled your teeth in the 1-2 shift, like Zippy likes, even if you were going 10mph under light throttle. It would chirp the tires and was great under WOT conditions. My wife refused to drive it and always said "damn" when we were driving around, each time it shifted to second.

So your answer is no, but only because I selected it to be that way. I couldn't be more happy with it. Another thing I noticed is it will not shift into 4th until you hit 60mph. So, it is always ready for that foot to hit the accelerator. Much less of a need for a downshift.

When I combine that kit with a predator or custom tuning, will that make things too firm or mess anything up? I plan on either checking out nelson for tuning or getting the diablesport predator soon, and I don't want there to be a problem combining the two. :chevy:

Does not the programmer recommend not messing with the shifts if you have a shift kit installed? That's the way Hypertech was, but the options were not as detailed as the Diablo.

I'm not sure about the tcc, deezel. I didn't notice it before untill just a few days ago. Where's the best place you guys have seen for the shift kit? :chevy:

Thanks again for the help.

I think Tbyrne has the HD kit, not sure. It comes with a corvette servo. Should go for about $120, or so.

Archived