shorty headers

smoke03

Someone needs to explain this to me but shortys or LT's they both have to go through mufflers!!!

LT's will be more power if they are open headders. Im sorry but $300 compared to $1200 there is not that much power increase for that price that is why I am going with shorty's!!! my 2 cents

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone needs to explain this to me but shortys or LT's they both have to go through mufflers!!!

LT's will be more power if they are open headders. Im sorry but $300 compared to $1200 there is not that much power increase for that price that is why I am going with shorty's!!! my 2 cents

well sorry to burst your bubble buddy but yes they both go through a muffler and no LT's will not make more power open headers (no backpressure!) and as for price depends which ones you get, i paid 420 for mine, and as for power..............there is a difference difference...........just my 2 cents :jester:

Ok then little buddy open headders on our little motors probably not, that much power but anything with some cubic inches dame sure will !!!! You got yours for $420 never heard of that. That is why evryone asked on here are that that much better because they are $500+. I know everyone has there own opinion but i know LT's over shorty's is not that big of a diffrents!!! Like I said if we were running 468,496 and so forth then LT's hands down!

well go ahead and wast your money on shorty's.......as for open headers i guess you dont understand the principals of back pressure. for the record the LT do make that much of a difference.

Yup, night and day difference. Thats why you dont see any actual race/ drag cars running shorties. There performance gain just isnt there.

i think its the other way around....lts make more up top and stock type manifolds or shorty equivelant would be better for the bottom end.

can some on explain why long tubes make more top end HP? At least the way i'm thinking, back pressure creates and moves hp or torque, depending on the amount, at different rpms. The more back pressure the harder the the motor has to work to expel the gas at the higher rpms so it has less high end hp, but the more bottom end torque you get lower in the rpm range? And likewise, the less back pressure you have the easier it is to move the gases out of the pipes at the higher rpms, so it makes better top end HP but you lose the bottom end grunt at low rpms? So with the said, and assuming it's right??? Long tubes create a longer, narrower(tube per cylinder) path until the gases can hit the 2.75" pipes and release out to the atmosphere. And shorties or mids have less distance(pipe per cylinder) until the gases hit the large diameter exhaust pipe. So if thats true?? then shorties or mids have less back pressure then long tubes do, and therefore produce better high end hp at the sacrifice of low end torque? It's like changing your exhaust from stock pipes to 3" duals all the way back, it creates more hp but less torque at the bottom end(or at least the same amount of torque but moves it higher in the rpm range). Or if you run your motor with no manifolds or headers there is no back pressure at all, but if you put shorties on it has lets say 8" of 1.75" pipe to push exhaust through, but a long tube might have 26" of 1.750 pipe to push through(more back pressure, better torque). Sorry for the long question, but i'm trying to understand it based on what i believe to be true.

and not to change the subject completely, but i do have another exhaust related question.. Is it true that you want to keep the exhaust gases in the header as hot as possible so the gases super heat and flow faster out of the pipes?

thanks

Brad

Dont worry I will wast my money, they showed up today at the shop an they are NICE!!!! coated shortys for $230 it's nice being WD for Edlebrock. Knowlege on backpressure if you only know!!! LOL

what a good way waste $230 :yellow_loser:

[/color]

can some on explain why long tubes make more top end HP? At least the way i'm thinking, back pressure creates and moves hp or torque, depending on the amount, at different rpms. The more back pressure the harder the the motor has to work to expel the gas at the higher rpms so it has less high end hp, but the more bottom end torque you get lower in the rpm range? And likewise, the less back pressure you have the easier it is to move the gases out of the pipes at the higher rpms, so it makes better top end HP but you lose the bottom end grunt at low rpms? So with the said, and assuming it's right??? Long tubes create a longer, narrower(tube per cylinder) path until the gases can hit the 2.75" pipes and release out to the atmosphere. And shorties or mids have less distance(pipe per cylinder) until the gases hit the large diameter exhaust pipe. So if thats true?? then shorties or mids have less back pressure then long tubes do, and therefore produce better high end hp at the sacrifice of low end torque? It's like changing your exhaust from stock pipes to 3" duals all the way back, it creates more hp but less torque at the bottom end(or at least the same amount of torque but moves it higher in the rpm range). Or if you run your motor with no manifolds or headers there is no back pressure at all, but if you put shorties on it has lets say 8" of 1.75" pipe to push exhaust through, but a long tube might have 26" of 1.750 pipe to push through(more back pressure, better torque). Sorry for the long question, but i'm trying to understand it based on what i believe to be true.

and not to change the subject completely, but i do have another exhaust related question.. Is it true that you want to keep the exhaust gases in the header as hot as possible so the gases super heat and flow faster out of the pipes?

thanks

Brad

ill try and find apost related to your first question. as for you second question yes you want to keep as muck heat in the header as possible to increase the exhaust gases velocity

QUOTE(RacerJJ @ Apr 26 2007, 11:33 AM)

I've got those headers and I think they are fine. I haven't had any problems with them at all. If you gut/remove the cat's, do you still need long tubes for the real power?

yes sir. the real purpose of the long tubes is to scavange the exhaust gases from each cylinder the same to improve your engines VE(volumetric efficientcy). so you need the same length tube for each exahust port to do so which also creates a vaccum effect to help suck out the exhaust gases. so the faster you get the exhaust gases out the faster you can recharge your cylinders with fresh air which =power

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

OK help me understand, so with LT's am I going to loose the low end or will my SS remain the same as stock (low end) but only gain on the top end? I was hoping to keep the low end as I usually smoke people at the start, then loose ground on the top end. I was hoping the LT's would help on the top end and not loose that low end grunt! I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Update - my Dynatechs arrived today, hopefully I can report a noticable difference (from the seat of my pants that is).

post-7946-1186631386_thumb.jpg

i honestly didnt loose any bottom end, in fact i ran my best 60 ft time with lt's(1.603) but when your blown lt headers make even more of a difference than on a n/a motor. you probably wont feel sotp loss in bottom end . only way is to take it to the track and see how you do.