Advice, suggestions?

Bad Bowtie

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused: dont understand the TexaSS comment. where di that come from?

HIS G/F WAS SENDING CHECKS TO HER COUSIN, AND HE WANTS TO KNOW WHETHER SHE WOULD SEND THE SAME CHECKS OR DEPOSIT THEM INTO HER ACCT. AND THEN SEND OUT HER OWN PERSONAL CHECKS

DISREGARD THE TEXT ABOVE IM A DUMMIE I MIS-UNDERSTOOD

Edited by eddie da chevy guy (see edit history)

Nothing in writing = screwed imo, if the cousin holds the title and it was her name still on the loan i dont see how you can do a thing in court. It's a expensive lesson to learn but always document stuff like this, hand shake agreements never go well.

:withstupid: I see this type of stuff every time I watch Court shows like judge Judy. EX: Some couple is on the stands. Man made payments on girlfriends car. g/f's car is in her name. g/f ''said'' b/f can keep car when payed off. Car is payed off, she keeps it, b/f is screwed. If there isn't any paper work, the only thing she has to say is ''yeah he helped pay off my car, that's it''. If nothing is in paper and no agreements with signatures, dates, it's one persons word against another, which is nothing. In court the only thing that matters is what you can prove. For all the judge knows she helped pay for the car in the goodness of her heart and nothing more. For all the judge knows she can be attempting to scam a car she helped pay for, and there was no original agreement. Check stubs only prove she made payments towards the the car or owner of the car.

Imagine receiving checks from a random stranger for your exact monthly payment of your truck. A few years down the road the truck is payed off with these checks. This random person shows up demanding your truck that day it's payed off. You gonna give it up? Same situation your g/f is in.

Stuff like this is why I don't lend money to a damn person on this planet. Sure I'll give a buddy 20 bucks for gas if he needs to get to work and he's broke with the gas gauge on E, but what I'm trying to say is: what money I do lend out is always petty cash, because I never expect to be payed back.

Edited by SchmidDaddY (see edit history)

Thanks again for the views/ideals fellow truckers.....

BTW, I talked to my g/f at lunch today. Her cell phone rang while she was at work this am and when she answered (sound like cars driving by in back ground) the person hung up. So she went outside to look around and lord and behold her cousin was there taking the 2003 Mustang in question. My g/f ran back inside and called her father. He said to let her take it or whatever, and he would deal with it this evening (works for TX DOT) after he gets off work. My g/f said she ran back out side and her cousin simply said "hello" like nothing was wrong!! :icon_bs: My g/f told me she wound up and threw her set of car keys at her as HARD as she could and hit the cousin square in the chest. Then my g/f said nothing and turned and walked back inside (because she was at work, hospital, and wanted to keep SOME form of composure while she was there)....

WTF!!! :shakehead: I live and work in W/falls TX, and she lives/works in a town about 20minutes away. I wish she had called me instead. I would have told her to NOT have gone outside and instead call the police and tell them someone was stealing her car... LOL!!!

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

:withstupid: I see this type of stuff every time I watch Court shows like judge Judy. EX: Some couple is on the stands. Man made payments on girlfriends car. g/f's car is in her name. g/f ''said'' b/f can keep car when payed off. Car is payed off, she keeps it, b/f is screwed. If there isn't any paper work, the only thing she has to say is ''yeah he helped pay off my car, that's it''. If nothing is in paper and no agreements with signatures, dates, it's one persons word against another, which is nothing. In court the only thing that matters is what you can prove. For all the judge knows she helped pay for the car in the goodness of her heart and nothing more. For all the judge knows she can be attempting to scam a car she helped pay for, and there was no original agreement. Check stubs only prove she made payments towards the the car or owner of the car.

Imagine receiving checks from a random stranger for your exact monthly payment of your truck. A few years down the road the truck is payed off with these checks. This random person shows up demanding your truck that day it's payed off. You gonna give it up? Same situation your g/f is in.

Stuff like this is why I don't lend money to a damn person on this planet. Sure I'll give a buddy 20 bucks for gas if he needs to get to work and he's broke with the gas gauge on E, but what I'm trying to say is: what money I do lend out is always petty cash, because I never expect to be payed back.

I've seen those, too. But, the judge can take the evidence in a case like this, and make a judgement call. If she has the cancelled checks, then common sense would tell you that more than likely you're not going to give a cousin $8000 as a gift.

Nothing in writing = screwed imo, if the cousin holds the title and it was her name still on the loan i dont see how you can do a thing in court. It's a expensive lesson to learn but always document stuff like this, hand shake agreements never go well.

:withstupid:

If the "agreement" that your g/f made with your cousin isn't in writing, signed by both of them, ... your g/f is pretty much screwed. Legally, your g/f had no obligation to make the payments, and the responsibility fell on your cousin. Courts don't care about any of that. If your cousin's name is on the lien, then it's gonna be your cousin's car. As far as Steve suggested, about getting a 2nd lien on the vehicle in her name ... the bank won't approve that w/o the permission of your cousin. Heck, if there's more than one name out for a title, they won't release that until both parties agree where it's going to be mailed if there's diff. addresses.

I think your cousin knows that she got your g/f to pay for her 'Stang, and that was her plan from the beginning. Get someone else to pay for it, and then keep the car. Your cousin hasn't done anything wrong, legally ...

Sorry we couldn't be of much help ... it's a sticky situation you're in. I would just let it go, but start planning your revenge ... getting mad does no one any good, but getting even is FUN ... :thumbs:

Even though there's not a "contract" at least she has proof of payment via her cancelled checks. I would take P's advice and try to lock it up somehow before she does something drastic.

for a small fee, i could make a call or two... you know what im sayin'???

Added to roledex :jester:

Whose name is the car registered in? If the car is registered in your g/f's name, couldn't she report it stolen? The reason I ask is because I thought you couldn't buy insurance for a vehicle that isn't registered to you.

Edited by papacueball (see edit history)

Hey man sorry to hear all this. Its pretty messed up what people especially family will do. I'm not in texas right now but i got some friends up in irving and sherman who could help if all the LEGAL stuff doesn't work. :jester: