haha i bet you guys never thought anybody would be posting a thread about what clutch to use on an SSS site's tranny section :jester:

anyways lol, after burning three clutches out (as many of you know), i am on to Ram clutches. they are sugesting a dual disc setup, saying its the only clutch thats gunna hold my wieght and power. they also say its extremely streetable, with NO chatter, and easy clutch pedal. id be all over this.... only thing is spec said the same thing :rolleyes: price tag is hefty, and will certainly knock me out cold. if this fails, i give up entirely :banghead:

so who has experience with dual disc setups? i have only installed one, and never drove it. please key in guys. thanks :D

Well, I'll say it again - I installed a RAM Metallic clutch in my Firebird a dozen years ago and it's the best damned clutch I've bought period, and that car is a clutch-eating machine; pressure plate in my application is B&B (not diaphragm, 3300-lb???) and disc is 6-button bronze/metallic, nobody would ever know it was not stock, has great engagement manners. If you look on RAM's Truck Pulling page you will see a pic of the cluth I have in my car. From what you show and describe it's a world of difference against what you had to suffer with, I have driven my Firebird with this clutch through Yosemite, up and down California gold country, and through San Francisco several times with no problem or fear of starting on hills for over six years, the clutch is about a dozen years old and still in the car!

Of course you will need a completely different setup, and I've not driven a dual-disc so I don't have any real world experience to add but I am a very happy and loyal RAM customer and will eagerly buy another. Other clutches I tried were Centerforce (yuck), McCleod (didn't hold), Zoom (crap), and Hays (eh, so-so); I have driven a SPEC and didn't like the engagement, it felt cheap to me like a Zoom clutch (chattering) and you know the rest on that product...

Mr. P.

One more thing - I was a little surprised that you have only a 14-lb flywheel; the one in my car is like 33-lbs ??? You sure you got enough flywheel for the weight of that truck?

Another thought - and I'm not trying to be a jerk here but technique matters with a clutch; I don't drive mine "off/on" but when leaving from a stop I make sure that my entire clutch release takes no longer than 1-1.5 seconds (which is quick) but I never slip the clutch longer than a couple seconds, if that is the situation then I will only rev the engine to maybe just off-idle to keep the window of time down and get the roll-out over, then hammer on the throttle.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

how about this one. i sell you mine once i pull it out of truck? for what i have planned i dont htink my clutch would hold.... i have the ram VDS thats good for 700hp and it has the 910 disk

i will say the clutch is similar to the stifness of what my 5.0 foxbody had. its a stiff clutch but holds well.

thing is i thought your input shaft was different then mine? and it might be a week or so before i pull it out

they keep stalling.... he said he recieved the clutch today, but didnt have time to look at it till tomorrow..... i think at best they will replace the friction surface on the flywheel and call it a day, most likely charging me for that too.

i usually slip the clutch in stock applications, but ever since i got the spec i was forced to either keep it disengaged or let it out as quick as possible. trust me man, after 700 miles with it, i tried everything. and they just kept telling me to put more and more and more miles on it.... they had me change the slave twice, and use two different shims.... the customer service was quick and easy, but unfortunately it wasnt true :crackup: i was SO impressed with them until i took the clutch out and looked at it, and they were like "oh it looks like its working perfectly"

they keep stalling.... he said he recieved the clutch today, but didnt have time to look at it till tomorrow..... i think at best they will replace the friction surface on the flywheel and call it a day, most likely charging me for that too.

i usually slip the clutch in stock applications, but ever since i got the spec i was forced to either keep it disengaged or let it out as quick as possible. trust me man, after 700 miles with it, i tried everything. and they just kept telling me to put more and more and more miles on it.... they had me change the slave twice, and use two different shims.... the customer service was quick and easy, but unfortunately it wasnt true :crackup: i was SO impressed with them until i took the clutch out and looked at it, and they were like "oh it looks like its working perfectly"

spec from what i gathered isnt worth a dam

i would jump on that offer, but i dont think it will hold my wieght and hp

well if you dont think that will hold then theres only one last option.....trexilla.....hello 1200 big ones

It's going to be very difficult finding what you're looking for. Most racing clutches are designed to be let out quick with no slippage as they are only designed for one thing and that is launching. Those types of clutches chatter like crazy on release under normal driving. The only way around it is considerably less weight or alot more gear. Trucks making over 1000ft lbs of torque run big clutches, but even they wouldn't survive without alot of gear. Take a look at the first gear in the NV3500, NV4500, and ZF S6-650.

NV3500

1. 4.02

2. 2.32

3. 1.40

4. 1.00

5. 0.73

NV4500

1. 5.61

2. 3.04

3. 1.67

4. 1.00

5. 0.75

ZF S6-650

1. 5.79

2. 3.30

3. 2.10

4. 1.31

5. 1.00

6. 0.72

I'm not saying that you aren't going to find a clutch to do what you want, but it's not going to be easy. Quick had little to no chatter from how it sounds, but he also ran a 4.88 gear. ImpostorSS dyno'd at 500rwhp and runs the Spec stage 3. He's had plenty of street driving and passes at the track without any clutch issue at all other than some chatter on the release. He also runs a 4.56 gear.

I don't know yet, I've been going over this problem in my head for the past few days trying to come up with a solution. Probably the quietest aftermarket gear set I've used is Motive Gear. Have you asked either of the clutch companies about gearing causing a problem?