Beater Of The Month contest

misterp

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this daily driver bird right now. It has the buick 3.8 six banger. I think i am getting around 50 rwhp. :crackup: The rear main seal is leaking so bad if you get to close behind me drving down the road you will get oil spots on your car. If i hit a bump the front springs are so wore it will bottom out the tire on the fender. It has 158k on the clock and i am trying to blow it it up so i can put a V8 in her. I get made fun of at work but hell, i got a clean truck in the garage. :crackup:

post-9009-1186103071_thumb.jpgpost-9009-1186103149_thumb.jpg

...If this topic only came out 2 weeks earlier I would have some cool pictures for you. :happysad:

My latest beater was a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim that I bought with what was supposed to be 62K on the clock for $1500. Well here is the good,...it had cold A/C. yup that's it.

The bad: Failed initial inspection for brakes, no horn, windshield wiper blades, moisture in the headlights, headliner (yea, they failed me for that), hole in the muffler, 2/5 lug studs broken off and exhaust not being hung well (it was dragging on the ground).

What I did to fix it was: drilled a hole in the light and blew compressed air in her to dry it out, did a brake job (no choice on that one), used about 40- 50 tacks to stick the headliner back up, welded the entire exhaust system to the body of the car (hey it was solid) and welded a quarter ($0.25) over the hole in the muffler, got bolts from Home Depot and welded them on the hub for additional lug studs, took the horn off my Typhoon and put it on the Acclaim for just inspection. IT PASSED after the inspection mechanic laughed his ass off.

Well I drove it to and from work (well over 120miles a day) enjoying my 28MPG for the next year. I put on more than 60K (the speedo cable broke so it is an estimate) and changed the oil once. yup once :crackup: It burnt oil so bad that I added a quart every Sunday so it never really sat in there too long anyway.

3 weeks ago she blew up. I was leaving work and the damn thing would not shift out of 2nd gear so I drove it home (60+ miles) in 2nd gear on the interstate taching between 4500-5500 RPMs. The motor never overheated but had NO oil in it when I got home and smoke poured out from under the hood. I parked it in the middle of my backyard in case it caught fire. I have a dead patch of grass there now so it was HOT! I called the scrapper and sold it to him for $250 after I loaded down the trunk with old crap I didn't need anymore (paint cans, rotors, fender etc.)

Take a look at the picture! She is sitting pretty low in the ass :ughdance:

img_0163.jpg

...If this topic only came out 2 weeks earlier I would have some cool pictures for you. :happysad:

My latest beater was a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim that I bought with what was supposed to be 62K on the clock for $1500. Well here is the good,...it had cold A/C. yup that's it.

The bad: Failed initial inspection for brakes, no horn, windshield wiper blades, moisture in the headlights, headliner (yea, they failed me for that), hole in the muffler, 2/5 lug studs broken off and exhaust not being hung well (it was dragging on the ground).

What I did to fix it was: drilled a hole in the light and blew compressed air in her to dry it out, did a brake job (no choice on that one), used about 40- 50 tacks to stick the headliner back up, welded the entire exhaust system to the body of the car (hey it was solid) and welded a quarter ($0.25) over the hole in the muffler, got bolts from Home Depot and welded them on the hub for additional lug studs, took the horn off my Typhoon and put it on the Acclaim for just inspection. IT PASSED after the inspection mechanic laughed his ass off.

Well I drove it to and from work (well over 120miles a day) enjoying my 28MPG for the next year. I put on more than 60K (the speedo cable broke so it is an estimate) and changed the oil once. yup once :crackup: It burnt oil so bad that I added a quart every Sunday so it never really sat in there too long anyway.

3 weeks ago she blew up. I was leaving work and the damn thing would not shift out of 2nd gear so I drove it home (60+ miles) in 2nd gear on the interstate taching between 4500-5500 RPMs. The motor never overheated but had NO oil in it when I got home and smoke poured out from under the hood. I parked it in the middle of my backyard in case it caught fire. I have a dead patch of grass there now so it was HOT! I called the scrapper and sold it to him for $250 after I loaded down the trunk with old crap I didn't need anymore (paint cans, rotors, fender etc.)

Take a look at the picture! She is sitting pretty low in the ass :ughdance:

img_0163.jpg

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup: , you have my vote.

Kevin... as soon as I saw this I thought of you. You're right, this "contest" is just a tad too late! :D You could have had Featured Truck AND Beater of the Month!!

Kevin, does this mean you are driving the SSS to work everyday now???? gahh.gif

Ok i have got all you guys beat. This is my 1989 Z24. The guy was asking 1500 for it two years ago and i got it off him for 600 dollars. no windshield wipers, no air, nasty vibration at any speed and it smells like a wet dog inside.. Thats my DD..

e846d99e.jpg

:driving:

here is my work truck, I have posted it b4.

a few mods since it was my only transportation

I added a sweet radio/components/sub-removed by unknown person

Someone also removed the key and now it has to start with a screw driver.

The hood hinges are frozen, so to close the hood is a two person job, one guy has to stand on the rear of the hood to close the back of the hood.

The rag joint in the steering is gone so I replaced it with a piece of tire...but my dad put it in wrong so the steering wheel is backwards...

My buddy go an exhaust that was not getting used, so I put DIY duals on it, 318's are mean-NOT

Now I have so many tin cans holding the exhaust together...

It has been hit now and I use it for working only, but still a good truck

The FOrd was b4 the dodge and I DID not pick it, it picked me...

Drivng to toronto I lost a few quarts of oil b/c I tried to used RTV as my valve cover gasket, 5 qts later I was back on the road...truck was never the same:)

well here's my daily driver. unfortunately i just washed it for the first time in a couple years here recently so it looks much better than it did. i paid $0.00 for it....actually helped a friend with horrendous credit get a house to rent and this was my reward. i constantly get offers for it but im not interested. gets about 30- 35 mpg

here's some of the highlights:

88 accord dx

211k on the clock and still running like a clock

hasn't had a timing belt since 110k....cant wait for it to break. :throwup:

power nothing

carpet is falling apart

one speaker works some of the time

needs new cam seals (leaks a little oil)

the rear shoes are cracked - someone changed shoes prior to me but didnt turn the drums

the front caliper sticks when parked for more than a week or so grinding the piss out of that rotor.

the windshield leaks and water drips onto the passenger seat

the molding on the drivers side door is ripped

the choke doesnt work well....the engine idles at about 3000rpms for close to 5 mins before settling down to a normal level.

the worst has mostly been cleaned up but is still evident. i had parked it outside last summer during a real hot day and had left a soda on the seat and it imploded all over the interior of the car. needless to say i never got around to cleaning it until recently. check the door panel and the seats.

CIMG1713.jpg

CIMG1712.jpg

CIMG1711.jpg

CIMG1709.jpg

CIMG1708.jpg

CIMG1707.jpg

CIMG1706.jpg

CIMG1705.jpg