Pismo Beach Trip

dl11sec70dodge

went out to pismo beach (250 miles) this labor day weekend with the trailer fully loaded with quads and had a great weekend with only minor troubles. First thing i did when we got to the beach was get stuck so bad my friends diesel couldent get me out, had to un hook the trailer and air down to nothin' . the diesel had to hook up to the trailer and my truck pull him out of the soft stuff. my best investment was a 100$ 30ft tow strap...

This was my first real trip pulling that amount of weight and got about 9.5 mpg going about 65. was happy with the power and very glad i chose this truck and the 4x4. on the way home was the only glitch with the truck, going up a steep grade it threw a CEL, called ON-star and they said it was a code to do with the intake system, and to keep on driving. code went away after a couple of stops, the MAF probally got some K&N oil on it and just needs a cleaning..............

overall good weekend.

020-1.jpg

Edited by dl/06MAX/bluegranite (see edit history)

Lets see some pics of the rig with the bikes on the trailer!!! How big of a trailer do you have? What all bikes you hauling?

I plan on hauling my first substantial load this weekend with a 16' Car Hauler with probably 2 Banshee's, a 400 EX and maybe a Craptor. Anything I might need to look out for or do to the truck? It has about 3500 miles on it (not trying to jack your thread)

Lets see some pics of the rig with the bikes on the trailer!!! How big of a trailer do you have? What all bikes you hauling?

I plan on hauling my first substantial load this weekend with a 16' Car Hauler with probably 2 Banshee's, a 400 EX and maybe a Craptor. Anything I might need to look out for or do to the truck? It has about 3500 miles on it (not trying to jack your thread)

does it have electric brakes? If so you def need the controller for it. I pulled a 16" enclosed trailer weighing about 6K+ loaded when I moved from PA to AZ. I had my banshee, my 350x, my RM250, my set of 22's with tires plus all my other shit like bed, clothes, air compress, tools etc. Truck pulled it no problem except when I hit a steep grade going up it always dogged out a bit then would drop into second gear and the RPM's would jump pretty high although the truck would be hauling that trailer up the hill with some serious pull. Make sure you use Tow Haul mode as well, i used it for my whole trip and it helped alot with engine breaking and holding the gears longer as well when going. What kind of hitch set-up are you using? Not sure if the hauler in enclosed or not that your taking but if you got a decent drive and will be going through any mountain areas I highly suggest a WD set-up or at least use a friction sway bar.

This is how my set-up looked, could of prob raised the ball one more spot on the shank but I just left it as I had no issues with sway or anything.

Picture082.jpg

deff need a brake controller, easy hook up, think mine is a takaguya or sometimng like that, see your local RV store, i also use the electric shock button on the dash to reduce the bounce

Yes it does have trailer brakes, it is an open trailer, and we have the controller in my dad's 99 Z works wonders. I plan on installing the controller in mine but just haven't had a chance.

Although, I was reading through my owners manual for my VMax and noticed a small section that mentioned a factory trailer brake controller. It was shown to be about 2 to 3 inches below the headlamp knob. Does anyone have this or has anyone heard of this?

I heard the new 07 body style trucks have to be hard wired for the brake controller and its not a plug in like the 06-older models. Unless you have a classic, which the plug pops into place down by the e-brake in the control box on the firewall. Your owners manual will tell you exactly what you need to do.

Do you guys recommend any certain brand and model brake controllers? I just moved one of my friends this past weekend with a 8'x16' enclosed trailer and my truck pulled it pretty well. It was the biggest load my truck ever pulled. Also does anybody know what a trailer like that weighs empty? I'm guessing 1500lb but notsure. The trailer was setup for a load stabilizer/sway bar, but I didn't put it on because I couldn't find it.

Do you guys recommend any certain brand and model brake controllers? I just moved one of my friends this past weekend with a 8'x16' enclosed trailer and my truck pulled it pretty well. It was the biggest load my truck ever pulled. Also does anybody know what a trailer like that weighs empty? I'm guessing 1500lb but notsure. The trailer was setup for a load stabilizer/sway bar, but I didn't put it on because I couldn't find it.

I use the tekonsha(sp?) prodigy controller. My 8x16 enclosed weighs 2100lbs dry. It was easy to pull it around dry weight without a controller but as soon as I loaded up I would of had no chance of stopping with it. I also used a WD set-up and friction sway device. Worked great for the 2600 mile pull I did and had no issue with sway or anything when passing or being passed by rigs or even high winds which I encountered several times. You can also check on the front rail of the trailer where the neck is, there should be a stamp or something that has the model, year and weight of it with max load capacity as well.

thats kinda odd you got the CEL when pulling a trailer loaded up. When I moved to AZ from PA half of the ride I had that light on and it was the same thing with the MAF. Once the trailer was unload and unhooked from my truck, no more light.

what intake are you running? ive just got a brop in K&N with the bottom of the air box drilled out, just figured the maf was dirty, but no further issues.

i had my volant CAI on, the light came on about 500 miles into the trip after I filled up one time so I thought bad gas. Next station i filled up it went away for about an 1hr then remained on for the next 2000+ miles. Hasnt been on since the trailer has been off though and I cleaned the MAF just in case when I finally got situated.