Heat Exchanger for Radix guys

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it is rather wide.

mtb980046b.jpg

You would be surprised, but there is not as much width available down there as you would think. The frame rails are rather close together up front. There is a fair amount of room vertically though. It would be nice if someone had a batch of intercoolers made just for the SS. I was just barely able to squeeze the JDM heat exchanger (made for the Lightning) in my SS. And the JDM was something like $460, this one is $389 and appears to be smaller.

JDM on my SS:

HPIM0635.JPG

I have some ducting around it now, so all the air from the lower grill gets forced through.

HPIM0652.JPG

JDM being installed on a Lightning:

jdm_ic_installed.jpg

The advantage of a larger heat exchanger, in my experience, is a quicker cool down after a full throttle run. It may also give lower intercooler coolant temps in general, but I didn't get my temp gauge setup till after the install. If you live in a warm climate, you will notice the performance drops off when the weather gets hot, and drops off more when the intercooler coolant has not cooled back down. I seem to recall this taking long time with the stock heat exchanger. With the JDM, the coolant temp (on the hot side of the intercooler) runs about 10 degrees above ambient air temperature. It soars up to 20-30 degrees above ambient when playing hard with the throttle, but cools back down in a couple of minutes.

I think you're right Dave, too wide. Even the JLP cooler was about an inch too wide and this looks wider still. Eric, did you happen to call and get the dimensions? Pictures can be deceiving sometimes.

I think you're right Dave, too wide. Even the JLP cooler was about an inch too wide and this looks wider still. Eric, did you happen to call and get the dimensions? Pictures can be deceiving sometimes.

I called the tech support line and got no answer so I sent them an e-mail asking for the dimensions. I thought it may be too wide also, but if it is not I thought the height might make it a perfect fit.

Dave, what are the dimensions of the one you used? I have seen pictures of yours several times but for some reason the one on the Cobra looked alot smaller to me. The main reason I was looking for one like yous but smaller is because I remember you saying what a pain in the neck it was to get in there. :smash:

Alright guys, I got some dimensions from the MotoBlue guys.

The dimensions are 26.62 x 5.87 x 3.00.

The dimensions of the JDM Dave used are 25 3/8 x 9 1/4 x 3 1/2.

I remember Dave saying he had a total of about 1/4 to 3/8 room to spare with his so initially it looks the MotoBlue would not fit. I am going to crawl under the truck tonight and do some brainstorming to see if I could make it work. Also, with a half inch less depth to it there is a little more room to put e-fans on it.

Alright guys, I got some dimensions from the MotoBlue guys.

The dimensions are 26.62 x 5.87 x 3.00.

The dimensions of the JDM Dave used are 25 3/8 x 9 1/4 x 3 1/2.

I remember Dave saying he had a total of about 1/4 to 3/8 room to spare with his so initially it looks the MotoBlue would not fit. I am going to crawl under the truck tonight and do some brainstorming to see if I could make it work. Also, with a half inch less depth to it there is a little more room to put e-fans on it.

I know, notch the frame like they do for drops. :D From the front it seems like there is a ton of room on out trucks, but sadly, not the case.

Your right. I will probably just end up getting the upgraded one from Magnacharger. Supposedly they are already sending the new one out with the '04 kits. I was reading a thread on the LS1Tech forum that says this one should be alot better, and it is made to fit our trucks.

Archived