Heat Exchanger for Radix guys

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. You take the pump you have and relocate it. I can't remember, but I think he said he saw about a 25* diff in IATs. Also, 10-15* drop in tranny temp, since one is in front of the other under normal config.

I figured as much but it was worth asking.

I think I may just have to get one. And figure since it drops the tranny temp 10-15 degrees I can put the 50 bucks I was going to spend on the B&M transmission cooler towards the new heat exchanger, I only spend $350. How you like that logic?

My wife would tend to agree with you. :D

Seriously though:

I have a 11X11 cooler coming to me, but for some reason never found me. A claim has been put through, but it takes a little time to clear up. I don't think that little tranny does much in an engine above much more than stock form. It'll cool, but not as good as a bigger and better one will. Remember for every 20* you lower your tranny temp, you double the life of the parts. I want to keep mine at 165*, or below.

If you were to move the cooler down to your lower valance, then there would be no re-location issues for a better cooler like I am going to have to deal with.

My wife would tend to agree with you. :D

Seriously though:

I have a 11X11 cooler coming to me, but for some reason never found me. A claim has been put through, but it takes a little time to clear up. I don't think that little tranny does much in an engine above much more than stock form. It'll cool, but not as good as a bigger and better one will. Remember for every 20* you lower your tranny temp, you double the life of the parts. I want to keep mine at 165*, or below.

If you were to move the cooler down to your lower valance, then there would be no re-location issues for a better cooler like I am going to have to deal with.

Oh, I will still be getting the B&M. The one I was looking at is the SuperCooler 24,000 (11x6x1/12). It seems to be the most popular one in all of the reading I have done. So I will have that in the normal spot and then relocate the intercooler heat exchanger (the new one of course) to the lower grill and i should be fine. Of course after all the hassle of recently relocating the intercooler pump and reservoir I may just leave it there and run the hoses to the new pump.

Hey guys! Great site!

Ben, it was very nice talking to you today, sounds like you have a nice SS!!! I will do my best to answer any questions you guys may have about this new set up, IMO it is the way to go. Especially with the SS since there is an existing cut out in the lower valance. The new Heat Exchanger comes with the brackets and hoses needed to do the install. It is not hard at all! Post anyquestions you may have and I will reply to them as fast as I can. I will be out most of the evening @ the LA Auto show and will return 7 AM Thursday, I will catch up with you guys then!! :seeya:

Of course after all the hassle of recently relocating the intercooler pump and reservoir I may just leave it there and run the hoses to the new pump.

I left my pump and reservoir in the stock place. I don't see why you would need to move it when adding a bigger heat exhanger down low. Mine does seem to have some air bubble issues. It always "burps" after I shut off the engine. I have assumed this is due to a high spot on the hose going down to the heat exchanger trapping some air. I have been to lazy/busy to really look into it :D

Of course after all the hassle of recently relocating the intercooler pump and reservoir I may just leave it there and run the hoses to the new pump.

I left my pump and reservoir in the stock place. I don't see why you would need to move it when adding a bigger heat exhanger down low. Mine does seem to have some air bubble issues. It always "burps" after I shut off the engine. I have assumed this is due to a high spot on the hose going down to the heat exchanger trapping some air. I have been to lazy/busy to really look into it :D

Dave, I have E-fans so I relocated it in front of the battery since I have no shroud to attach it to. I had the fan shroud on there for a long time even with the fans but got bored this past weekend and took it off and moved the pump.

Archived