Where Were You When.........

CoolBlueSS

I can remember it like it was yesterday. So sureal. I was working for a Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealer doing body shop parts. I was caught up, so I was listening to a local sports radio station (The Ticket) talk footbal, or something. One of the producers cut in and said that a plane had struck one of the WTC towers. No one thought much of it as there were no details yet. There was speculation that it was a commuter plane off course, ect. They had a monitor set up watching it unfold then the second plane hit. One of the DJs said, "This is intentional." "This is a terroerist attack."

All work ceased in our shop for the rest of the day.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in my first semester of college, I had just parked my car and was listening to Howard Stern, Crazy Cabbie had called in and said that a plane had just flown into the WTC, I figured that it was a small Cessna or something, and went to class. I came out 1-1/2 hours later and one of the towers was already down........the college was closing early and sending everyone home. I called my dad at work in a panic and asked him what the hell was going on. His words to me were "We're under attack......just go home and stay there." I raced home, turned on the news and saw the carnage. It looked like hell on earth. :eek::tear:

I was at work when the attack started. After we heard about the 1st plane hitting our HR guy pulled out a TV and set it up to see what was going on. Mins. later we watched in disbelief as the 2nd plane hit on live TV. We were all just stunned and nobody knew what to say. We watched the news off and on the rest of the day and watched as the towers fell. It was a day I will never forget. :shakehead:

I was on a United airlines flight, non-stop service from New Orleans to Denver. We lifted off from New Orleans about 45 minutes before the first plane hit. The pilot came on the intercom and told us that he couldn't tell us why, but we were cleared for immediate emergency landing in Denver, about an hour ahead of our arrival time. I found out later that we were one of the last planes in the air over the U.S. that day. Landing in Denver was surreal to say the least. There were planes parked everywhere, out in fields, to make room at the terminals. When I got into the terminal the Pentagon had just been hit. By the time I got to the ticket counter to find out how I was going to catch my next flight, the United ticket agent hung up the phone he was on and told his co-worker that a United flight had just gone down in Pennsylvania and his friend was on board. Needless to say it took me a week to get home from Colorado. Not a day I'll forget anytime in this lifetime.

I was on my way to school and we heard that there was a big fire at the pentagon and thats all they were saying. Once I was in school some teachers had a T.V. on and we watched it all happen. most people were crying and freaking out. It's scary to think that actually happened to America. Even scarier to think that something like that can happen again. Lets pray that never happens and pray for those who lost their lives 6 years ago.

God Bless America! :flag:

I was in high school, suspended in the library. My dean was grilling me and some of the other kids when he was called to turn on the tv. About ten seconds after we all saw the next plane hit and a feeling of dread came over me. Only a few people actually realized what was up. At that moment I grabbed my bag and walked out calling to make sure my family members (and friends) who work in govt, law enforcment and fire were all right.

I remember seeing the towers when I was kid, I used to think that they would be there forever.

As I mentioned in the other post, I was at work in NYC that day, a few miles north of the site. It was a surreal experience. Other than sirens, there was silence. Not the usual NYC hustle and bustle. I'll always remember that, and the people walking (no NYC transit was running) up Park Ave. to Grand Central Station to try to get out of the city. It was like the old movies of WWII refugees leaving their bombed out homes; dirty from the ash and smoke, quiet, and sad. Only it was NYC present day, and not WWII. I can't accurately describe the feelings we had in the city that day. As we rode home on the LIRR, crammed in because of the very few trains that were running, we could see the column of smoke rising over the southern tip of Manhattan. We will never forget. :flag:

this is a good topic. its almost like the topic of "where were you when jfk was shot" that you asked your grandparents or even parents. i was in the 6th grade. and in computer class when the prinicpal came on the loud speaker and told us one of the towers was hit. i was at a private school and every room had a tv in it so the teacher turned it on and i watched the second plane go in. the whole school was in silence we couldnt get over what happend. and we were very young at the time(12). for the rest of the day we watched coverage of it. just like pearl harbor this was a "Day that Will Live in Infamy".(FDR)

I was in 9th grade Government class that morning. Someone came into our class to tell our teacher what had happened. He was in complete disbelief when he came back into the room, he then told us what had happened. At that time only one plane had hit the tower and we really didn't know much for the rest of that class period, but as the day went on we watched on television. It hit close to home because one of our Principals best boyhood friend was killed that day and I will never forget going on our senior class trip to NYC in 2004 and going to the WTC site with our principal....It was a very sad day.

I woke up and turned on the television just minutes after the first plane hit the first tower. I didn't know what was going on but as I changed the channels and noticed that every channel was showing the same thing I realized that something was wrong. My sister called me wanting to know what was going on, I still didn't know myself what was going on. As we were talking we saw the second airplane hit the tower and then later saw them collapse. UTSA cancelled classes that day. Sad times.

:sigh:

I had worked the night graveyard shift for a client and when i woke up at around 2pm that day i didnt turn on the TV... one of my instructors called me up and was super laid back and said...

wow, crazy about new york huh?

i said, what do you mean NY?

"you dont know?"

"know WHAT??"

..."turn on the tv..."

"what channel?"

"doesnt matter..."

"....oh shit..."

life after that got extremely busy... and when i finally got off the phone with him, i saw that i had 23 voice mails...all from clients freaking out...

a day i will never forget.

343 - RIP

I was a freshman in college and I was waiting for class and watching TV when they interupted the channel for the news broadcast. It was like I was watching a movie, it was hard to think that it was really happening. They cancelled classes that morning and I just watched the news all that morning in disbelief. I actually work with a retired NYPD cop that was on duty that day and the stories he tells are horrific.

It was very emotional for me, as it was for everyone. Especially those in the city, or who knew someone there. That event triggered something inside of me. I didn't personally know anyone in the planes, the Pentagon, or the WTC, but I felt the pain when I went home that day and saw a flag at half staff. I also felt a great deal of respect and appreciation for police officers, firefighters, and soldiers, and a renewed love for this country. Sorry, I get a little carried away on this subject, because we live in the best country in the world. Thanks for sharing your stories, and listening to me ramble.

I was in my 1st class of the day in the 10th grade, our teacher got a call, as soon as he hung up he turned on the tv and we watched it in all ofo ur classes that day...i remember someone saying this was the second time the US has released 2 newspapers in one day...