redss.com

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can Toyota open assembly plants and engine plants in the us, yet gm

has to close theirs and open them up in mexico or china? And why doesn't

gm put the amount of compensation that the board members of gm receive

in the window sticker along with the health care cost of the hourly employee's?

:confused:

Edited by njr2211 (see edit history)

Very good point.

I got into a discussion similar to this with another guy today. How can the American car companies remain competitive... Something's gotta give. Toyota pays people less (no union), but their parts cost more. So, for American car makers to remain competitive, they pay higher costs for labor, then compromise on the quality of parts, to bring the price of the car/truck down.

It's very funny to me that GM finally posts a positive earning for the first time in 3 years, and the UAW wants more for their Union Enrollees. Good idea. How about we base it on a commission -- if we lose money, you lose money. If we make money, you make money. The one thing the Union forgets -- while they may be protecting the well-being of their Enrollees, they may be hurting the company. If you dig into the company too far (as they just started making money again), what's to say they won't go belly-up (just humor me, if you will), and now the Enrollees are looking for ANY job?

According to what I've seen about the released GM plans for the future a new GMT 900 model called the C3XX is going to be released in 2012.

Check Jalopnik.com or Autoblog, they have the white book listed from the GM UAW agreement. Picture below: (Check out Pontiac Plant)

medium_1468217676_0c2acce4bd_o.jpg

I agree.

The Union has inflated the wages of these assembly line workers at GM to the point of insanity.

How can you pay out $65,000 a year plus benifits to someone with a high school education that snaps on door panels all day long. -no joke, I read this somewhere! In my opinion, this is why GM (big 3 in general) are loosing ground to foreign car makers. I just hope GM is around long enough so I can buy myself a Corvette when I retire. What a mess! :rant:

Edited by NebraSSka truck (see edit history)

I agree.

The Union has inflated the wages of these assembly line workers at GM to the point of insanity.

How can you pay out $65,000 a year plus benefits to someone with a high school education that snaps on door panels all day long. -no joke, I read this somewhere! In my opinion, this is why GM (big 3 in general) are loosing ground to foreign car makers. I just hope GM is around long enough so I can buy myself a Corvette when I retire. What a mess! :rant:

It cost gm about 70-75 dollars an hour per line worker once pay and benefits get tacked on, Toyota is a good 20 or so less an hour but were the main problem lies is in the pension plans. That is what will potentially put gm out of business unless major changes are applied, gm has something around 400,000 pension plans vs. Toyota's 1,200 or so! The union needs to learn the word 401k like the rest of America has had to, either that or watch all their jobs and after that the entire UAW union crumble under it's own weight! Pretty simple concept to understand, No UAW factories in this country means no UAW jobs.

What scares me the most are these UAW employees that lose their jobs will be losing prob. close to 50% of their income or even more because for their skill set their is no other place for them in this country. Without question a lot of them have been living the lives of middle class income and will have a big problem when they cant find jobs that will pay them over 12 bucks a hour like all other factory assembly line workers.

Edited by Bigdogx (see edit history)

It cost gm about 70-75 dollars an hour per line worker once pay and benefits get tacked on, Toyota is a good 20 or so less an hour but were the main problem lies is in the pension plans. That is what will potentially put gm out of business unless major changes are applied, gm has something around 400,000 pension plans vs. Toyota's 1,200 or so! The union needs to learn the word 401k like the rest of America has had to, either that or watch all their jobs and after that the entire UAW union crumble under it's own weight! Pretty simple concept to understand, No UAW factories in this country means no UAW jobs.

What scares me the most are these UAW employees that lose their jobs will be losing prob. close to 50% of their income or even more because for their skill set their is no other place for them in this country. Without question a lot of them have been living the lives of middle class income and will have a big problem when they cant find jobs that will pay them over 12 bucks a hour like all other factory assembly line workers.

If the US would put a 25 or 30% import tax on these cars and trucks being sold

over here that would pretty much fix things. It doesn't matter that toyota and honda

have assembly plants over here. TAX Them. Our stuff has an import tax over there.

I think the tax coming into the us is like 2%. If we export, it is like 20 to 25%.

They (Washington) are trying to F--k the Middle CLass. It is a race to the BOTTOM.

Everyone needs to wake up, stop going to football games, nascar and every other event on the weekend, and get involved. Otherwise, what others have fought so hard for will be gone

for a long time. Your kids, their kids etc. You guys don't want to see a depression!!!

Edited by njr2211 (see edit history)

Well it looks like the UAW now has it's sights set on Chrysler and have set a tentative strike date for this wednesday if no agreements are set.

Chrysler pays its workers an average of $75.86 per hour in wages, pension and health care costs, the highest among the Detroit automakers.

:shakehead: Unreal that quote says it all and yet they still bitch wine and cry about wanting even more, and job security for life on top of it! :crackup: