03SS VS 03HEMI

bigblue

I think I can speak for everyone on this site when I say, we bought the truck because it looks cool and it has a little more juice than a regular silverado, the bigger motor is nice, but face it obviously money wasnt an issue for any of us, someone who buys a truck for .02 has quite a problem, plus almost everyone on this site has some kind of perfomance mod, as most truck owners do.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually really suprised at all the options that came standard with the SS. I didn't realize all the cool shit and toys it had till I was driving it home from the dealership. From the info center that tells you about 100 different things to the heated leather captains chars to having power seats/lumbar for both passenger and driver and there's much more. all that and AWD :thumbs: I don't think the 35k that is probably the average most of us paid is bad at all. I STOLE mine for 28,8XX after GM card savings. I'm happy as hell with my buy, but I will be the first to admit it needs more power... then again I'm used to driving a 500+hp camaro :flag:

for a hemi to have all that, it will run the same high price tag and you won't have AWD.

Dodge Hemi? If I had wanted a truck from a foreign manufacturer, I would have bought a Toyota. But, I wanted American and since that means Chevy or Ford, I bought the Chevy. Don't tell me how it was made here, blah, blah, blah. Daimler an American company, or not? NO! End of subject.

I think the fact that the Hemi has to use it's lightest varient to compare just to keep up is dissapointing. I would like to see what the hemi would do with about another 500lbs (4x4, quad cab) on it. With nearly the same hp/torque numbers you would think it should be just as fast, but it's not. I think that dodge should have put the power to better use in their design :sigh:. This is why I didn't buy a Ram Hemi. Here are some info from motor trend to back up my thoughts.

2003 Chevrolet Silverado SS 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Hemi

POWERTRAIN/CHASSIS

Drivetrain layout Front engine, awd Front engine, rwd

Seating cap 5 3

Curb weight, lb 5300 4800

TEST DATA

Acceleration, sec

0-30 mph 2.1 2.3

0-40 mph 3.2 3.4

0-50 mph 4.8 5.0

0-60 mph 6.6 6.8

0-70 mph 8.6 8.8

0-80 mph 12.1 12.0

0-90 mph 15.4 15.8

0-100 mph 20.2 20.9

1/4 mile, sec @ mph 14.99 @ 89.05 15.11 @ 89.06

Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 119 132

-Nick :chevy:

Numbers on the srt-10 ARE NOT and I repeat ARE NOT 13.1 the latest number I have seen are 13.6 in car and driver. I know I could beat a stock one with my extended ss with all my goodies and not just riding on a motor. Thats what dodge does they built a motor and throw a chair on there and then people spend loads of cash cause they are fast and then most of them are dissapointed because it just isnt fun riding only on a motor.

Archived