Dex Cool Vs. Ethylene Glycol

perk03z06

I'm an ASE GM Tech at the local dealer, You'll never flush 100% of the old out, without complete teardown. It will GUM up when mixed. DexCool has lubricant properties that the green does not. I would highly advise not switching. There is no benefit one, way or another.

I'm an ASE GM Tech at the local dealer, You'll never flush 100% of the old out, without complete teardown. It will GUM up when mixed. DexCool has lubricant properties that the green does not. I would highly advise not switching. There is no benefit one, way or another.

But ... I've also been advised by a GM tech that Dex destroys aluminum ... & I think if I keep a close eye on the pH level (NEVER less than 10) ... I'll be OK ... please advise ... he recommended flushing out & replacing with ethylene glycol

I manage a small fleet of around 25 GM vehicles and have had countless GM vehicles in my family and of my own over the years and have never, never switched over to the green stuff. I have been told that putting anything but DexCool in your vehicle is detrimental to the cooling system, these vehicles were designed to run on DexCool. Save the green crap for Furds. :chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

But ... I've also been advised by a GM tech that Dex destroys aluminum ... & I think if I keep a close eye on the pH level (NEVER less than 10) ... I'll be OK ... please advise ... he recommended flushing out & replacing with ethylene glycol

i really doubt that.....if you run the green anti. it could damage you cooling system from the heads, radiator, etc.

Running convential green coolant will not hurt a GM vehicle that originallly had Dex-Cool in it. Just Google Dex-Cool and you'll come up with various articles pertaining to the destructive things that Dex-Cool does. I've personally seen and repaired numerous leaking intake manifold gaskets on the 3.1/3.4/3.8/4.3/5.0/5.7 GM engines due to Dex-Cool eating away at the plastic intake gasket barrier. Some of these were 30K mile motors less than 2 years old. I've seen leaking water pump gaskets on the LSx motors that had the same collapsed plastic barrier.

Some may say Dex-Cool is fine for 5 years or 150K miles but in the real world Dex-Cool tends to break down at the same rate of conventional coolant, perhaps even sooner in some cases. Just open your coolant bottle and smell the stuff. You'll also notice the brown crap etched at the top.

You do not need to disassemble the motor to flush it all out. Just remove one of your heater hoses, connect the water hose and turn the vlave on. After about five minutes the whole system will be pure water. Remove the lower hose and use compressed air to blow the rest out. Add about 2 gallons of conventional green coolant and about 2 gallons of distilled water. Do it all over in two years and you'll be set.

I believe that DEX maybe more harmful to the gaskets (I've also seen a lot of these sort of Repair Orders), however I will venture to say that DEX is much better for the metal in your system as far as corrosion is concerned... The internals of the radiator in my camaro (which had run on the green stuff since the day it was built) looked HIDEOUS... I have been running DEX in it ever since and the stuff hasn't even begun to lose its color yet (3 years going). Metal inside the radiator is still all nice and shiny...