Too low?

Low03SS

I bought my 03 already lowered. I'm still waiting on the information on how it was done. Can anyone tell by the "extra" parts that I have what was done to lower the front? I would actually like to raise the front up a little if possible.

Take a look at the link in my signature and one of the last pictures is of the original parts that I was given.

Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like a Ground Force or Bell tech kit for a Denali 2/4 drop and an Airlift airbag set up. The rear should be adjustable from the cab for when you are towing.

You can raise the front by taking out a few turns of the torsion bars. That's how the got the front down that low.

They definitely changed the front torsion bar keys, rear shackles, and rear spring hangers. The other peice in the picture is one of the front bumpstops. The front looks like it's new keys and loosening the torsion bar bolt. The rear looks like lowering hangers and shackles and air bags.

The front end they used torsion keys you can just crank the torsion bars back up(make sure you do the same amount of turns on both sides. This might knock you out of alignment). The rear end you can change what hole your shackles are using the shorter the shackle the more you raise it. The only problem your going to have is your air bags. They look like theres not much more they can open. So if they are maxed out I would build a spacer plate to go between the bag and the bracket making the bag longer.

You should be able to get it back up 1-2 inches easily

I'm not too worried about the rear. The shackles have several holes and they are in the top position therefore it is at the lowest setting. I am happy with it. I'm just concerned about the front. There is a rake to the stance of the truck anyway. I drove the truck back from Portland, OR and broke a front axle/CV joint in Cheyenne. The fron axles are at a pretty extreme angle and the front wheels tilt in a little at the top. I'm thinking that the axle issue was related to the drop. Even though they fixed it under warranty. When you talk of cranking the torsion bars back up how is this done? Are there stop bolts that change the position of the ends and I just crank them a few turns to get the desired ride height. I realize that I will have to have it re-aligned.

Thanks for the responses so far.

BTW, one of the boxes I have says Bell Tech torsion bar keys on it.

On the bolts there's a stop nut you just have to loosen and then turn the bolts for the torsion bar keys.

There's also the option of new spindles as well that should fix your CV joint angle. I think a lot of us that did the torsion bar way are going to be going to that method.

What size tires are on your truck? They look smaller than stock but that could just be illusion.

Your front wheels tilt in at the top because of being so low. There is not enough adjustment in the front do align it correctly. I know this because the shop that did mine used up all of the adjustment aligning mine after the 2" drop.

If you climb under the truck right at the front door you will see the torsion bar and the crossmember it links to. Right where the bar comes in you will see the torsion bar key and the bolt we are talking about. Crank that and yes it will change the position of the end of the key and that will increase the tension on the bar and raise the front. Take it for a ride between adjustments because it will settle and change height. Hope this helps.

On the bolts there's a stop nut you just have to loosen and then turn the bolts for the torsion bar keys.

There's also the option of new spindles as well that should fix your CV joint angle. I think a lot of us that did the torsion bar way are going to be going to that method.

What size tires are on your truck? They look smaller than stock but that could just be illusion.

Stock wheels and tires.

Your front wheels tilt in at the top because of being so low. There is not enough adjustment in the front do align it correctly. I know this because the shop that did mine used up all of the adjustment aligning mine after the 2" drop.

If you climb under the truck right at the front door you will see the torsion bar and the crossmember it links to. Right where the bar comes in you will see the torsion bar key and the bolt we are talking about. Crank that and yes it will change the position of the end of the key and that will increase the tension on the bar and raise the front. Take it for a ride between adjustments because it will settle and change height. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll try to crawl uder there and adjust the bolts. Should the front end be off the ground while doing this or should it be on the ground?

There is no ratio and on top of that each side is different as well. What I mean is 4 turns may give you an inch on the driver's side and 3/4" on the passenger's side. It's all trial and error.

I noticed that. I turned both side teh same and the drivers side is higher then the passenger side. I played around with them and got them pretty close to the same height. I'll keep adjusting till I get the desired height and then take it to be aligned.

Thanks for the information. :cheers:

Archived